Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2014 11:31:56 AM EDT
So I've had this huge "ammo can" around for a while and been tossing this idea around in my head so earlier in the week I ordered some spanish cedar veneer and got started.

Unfortunately my veneer was damaged in shipping & I'm waiting on a replacement package   but here's what I have so far.    I'll update this as I get more time to work on this if there's interest.
I'm thinking about having a tattoo artist friend do some type of artwork on the front of it and hanging it on the wall in the mancave.
I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas, tips or suggestions.    Clever name submissions will also be considered...."Ammodor"?
Idea planning stages.....forgive the mess I think a tornado recently hit my workshop.

Fitting the 1/4" liner that will be sanded and covered with the Spanish cedar.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You are on the right track.
I would make sure you seal the living crap out of that thing.

Make sure it latches really well. You may need to experiment on the door sealing.

Smoke test it.

It would be bad ass to add a front window, with a LED light switch on the outside. I would use Lexan.

That way you could look and then go in and grab a cigar.

Either way it will be sweet.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the L.E.D. idea!  It will definitely be sealed air tight once I have all the pieces fitted.  Due to the shape & indentions on the front I don't think I'll attempt a window on this one.   It would be really bad ass though.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Given the temp and humidity range, you might want to make sure there are no bare surfaces to rust.

Also, most of the cans/lockers I've come across stink - might not be the best bouquet to add to a smoke!  

Maybe some sort of food grade thick latex paint on the interior metal surfaces to help seal the smells and as a rust preventative?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Ammonia smell, that is what most ammo can smell like.
Airing it out a few days after washing will work good.
I agree, at 70 degree and 70$ humidity, it will quickly turn steel into rust.
Most ammo cans have pretty good seal around the lid.

Only question is how much the temperature fluctuate with a metal exterior.

Cerakote the can, double thickness inside, before you mount the cedar.
For an ammo can, I would have gotten cedar planks instead of veneer.

Your project just gave me me tons of idea.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Good points guys.  

There is no smell to this one, I've had this thing on the shelf for probably 10 years.   The rust is something I hadn't thought about but as you can see in the pic I am coating the inside with a primer.   If it does fail me after so long I'm only really out about $30 for the cedar. and I can still use it as a cool ammo cabinet.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Is that solid spanish cedar? You said it's a veneer but is it wood for a veneer or is it a veneer on ply? If it's some type of ply I'd be concerned over what kind of glues where used in it's construction. There isn't a huge worry as most ply's are California compliant which should be safe but there still might be some out there that aren't and could contain formaldehyde.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top