Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2014 11:31:39 AM EDT
I like to check out reviews on cigars before I order a fiver from the devil, but I am having a hard time believing what some of these reviewers are saying.

I read this one last night and well, just read it and see what you think...

"First Third

Getting off to a lively start, hickory and red pepper greeted my palate in the form of an exceptionally creamy tasting smoke. The hickory was slightly more noticeable than the red pepper. Under these two core flavors were almond and a gingerbread tone that exuded a faint sweetness. The almond carried over to the finish accompanied by oak and leather that would last between each puff. The body and strength sat at a medium in the first third.

Second Third

The two dominant flavors from the first third remained, except that the hickory was taking on more of an oak characteristic. The almond grew in richness and depth. A nuanced vanilla cream and lavender joined the fray; two flavors I didn’t expect to get having smoked the newer Ruination on various occasions. In the second third it became more apparent that this was an aged cigar due to the flavors coalescing perfectly. Oak, almond, and vanilla cream on a lingering finish. Body and strength both continued at a medium.

Final Third

The dominant oak and red pepper of the first and second thirds dropped considerably in terms of intensity and were now serving as the backbone to almond, dried fruit, vanilla cream and caramel. The sweet, decadent notes that took over were an absolute surprise. It really showed how much this cigar shifted in flavor from the beginning. Almond, vanilla cream, oak on another substantial finish. Body and strength remained at a medium throughout the entire cigar."

So that's 10 different flavors out of one cigar. I have never had a cigar that had so many different flavor profiles. Red pepper and woody flavors yeah but, dried fruit and vanilla cream? Do any of you guys taste all these different flavors in cigars?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, yeah. They all dance like pixies on my taste buds.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
10 different tastes in a cigar and I bet he can't pick out the taste of employee spit in his fast food burger.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
BS... I don't taste half those things in a a heavily cased pipe tobacco that is supposed to taste like things he is describing.

Then again, I haven't spend 7 years learning how to become a Lipton tea blend master either.

So it could happen, if you work very hard at learning how to squeeze every bit out of every taste bud.  And have some uber ritual of palate cleansing before you smoke that after dinner cigar...
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I know that it can be done, but that's why I like "believing" certain reviews from certain people.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Lavender, why would I want that in my mouth period.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I stumbled across this review the other day, makes you wonder...

An online store commissioned me to review their entire stock of 5 Vegas cigars. Every single blend in every single size. And I was to do it on their web site in the customer review section. I also had to pretend I was someone different each time. You have any idea how that can make a person crazy in the head? On top of that, he wanted the reviews quickly. So no time for humidor aging. I just made shit up. I was more concerned sounding like different people than making up shit about the green cigars.
View Quote

http://kohnhed.com/2014/03/20/5-vegas-high-primings-cigar-review/

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

hickory, red pepper, almond, gingerbread, oak, leather, vanilla, cream, lavender, dried fruit, caramel
View Quote
I have picked up every single one of those flavors in cigars before...

To imagine all of them in ONE cigar is a bit absurd.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I think my taste buds must ride the short bus. I can't taste more than two, maybe three, different flavors in a smoke.  

A local store had a review on one stick that went something like " ...and finished with a strong taste of pencil lead."
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Its all hype   anybody ever read bad review  of a cigar  ........ crickets
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#10]
My favorite cigar flavor of all time is Antarctic Sage
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#13]

IMO, cigar reviews are a distant second to wine reviews in terms of WTH.  

Farella ‘La Luce’ Sauvignon Blanc 2012

Napa Valley, California

The newest AVA in Napa Valley is Coombsville.  This winery is
situated in the Vaca Mountains with elevations between 300-500 feet.  It
is the elevation makes it prime for zesty Sauvignon Blanc.  Farella
estate only produces around 1,200 cases total.  Most of their grapes are
sold to the likes of Far Niente, Honig, Keenan, Lail, Pahlmeyer, and
Realm.  Farella, obviously, produces some of highest quality wines
coming out of Napa Valley.  This Sauvignon is amazingly fresh and
lively!  Flavors of citrus and grapefruit zing into the palate without
any infusion of oak.  Notes of melon and jasmine waft through mid palate
with just a touch of minerality.  The finish is delicate and clean with
hints of fresh cut grass and wet pebbles.   A great wine for the impending heat of summer!

Edited to take out price so as not to appear to be advertising.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#14]
It's all bullshit to me. You know what my cigars taste like? Tobacco. Beautiful, smoky tobacco.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
IMO, cigar reviews are a distant second to wine reviews in terms of WTH.  

Farella ‘La Luce’ Sauvignon Blanc 2012

Napa Valley, California

The newest AVA in Napa Valley is Coombsville.  This winery is situated in the Vaca Mountains with elevations between 300-500 feet.  It is the elevation makes it prime for zesty Sauvignon Blanc.  Farella estate only produces around 1,200 cases total.  Most of their grapes are sold to the likes of Far Niente, Honig, Keenan, Lail, Pahlmeyer, and Realm.  Farella, obviously, produces some of highest quality wines coming out of Napa Valley.  This Sauvignon is amazingly fresh and lively!  Flavors of citrus and grapefruit zing into the palate without any infusion of oak.  Notes of melon and jasmine waft through mid palate with just a touch of minerality.  The finish is delicate and clean with hints of fresh cut grass and wet pebbles.   A great wine for the impending heat of summer!

Edited to take out price so as not to appear to be advertising.

View Quote

W..T..F..!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your what?  

I don't get anything except earth and tobbaco taste. Ever. No vanilla, leather, or anything. And the smoke is always pungent ammonia, even after 7 or 8 months in the box.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Your what?  

I don't get anything except earth and tobbaco taste. Ever. No vanilla, leather, or anything. And the smoke is always pungent ammonia, even after 7 or 8 months in the box.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your what?  

Maybe that's what I was having when I couldn't taste for 4 months lol. Lost my comma somewhere.

Anyway about the only reviews I like are when someone says I like it or I didn't like it. Followed by it was mild, medium, or strong.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#18]
They are all bullshit. Here's the categories I use:  1)  awesome 2) good 3) meh.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Pungent ammonia?  And you keep on smoking???

You're buying the wrong cigars.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The first third had hints of cat shit.  By the second third it was clear that the cat had been on a high protein diet.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The first third had hints of cat shit.  By the second third it was clear that the cat had been on a high protein diet.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I told you to go with the heartfelt, and not the litter.............
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think my taste buds must ride the short bus. I can't taste more than two, maybe three, different flavors in a smoke.  

A local store had a review on one stick that went something like " ...and finished with a strong taste of pencil lead."
View Quote

+1

I'm not much of a cigar guy but the reviews on beers can get every bit as wacky and nuanced.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

MUWATs, Rocky Patels, Olivias, Ave Marias, My Fathers, Arturo Fuentes... it doesn't matter. I always get ammonia.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:37:26 AM EDT
[#24]
the flavors i have tasted, are....  hint of chocolate, tobacco, fresh dirt (I think this means earthy), ammonia, vegetable oil (like french fries), that's about it.   But when I smoke I'm drinking, so after a while they all taste the same
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:52:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
MUWATs, Rocky Patels, Olivias, Ave Marias, My Fathers, Arturo Fuentes... it doesn't matter. I always get ammonia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you get ammonia I would check your humidification. Don't use those green humi blocks.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:09:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If you get ammonia I would check your humidification. Don't use those green humi blocks.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a similar deal but it was medication they gave me and it took a good 4-6 months to get it out of my system and back to normal. Might check what you are taking medication wise.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I always get ammonia.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top