Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2014 2:15:23 PM EDT
Any suggestions for someone who is considering taking up cigar smoking? The only cigars I have ever smoked are no longer made so I have no frame of reference to give.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Ashton Classic Corona

a good smoking mild cigar
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ashton Classic Corona

a good smoking mild cigar
View Quote

Any suggestions on where to find them? Is there a reputable online dealer that sells them for a reasonable price?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
CI.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
CI.
View Quote

Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

Seriously, every time I look at that site I am ready to just hand over my wallet.  If I had a first born child I would send them too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Seriously, every time I look at that site I am ready to just hand over my wallet.  If I had a first born child I would send them too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CI.

I don't know anyone who is deployed who doesn't go through CI.

They seem to always have at least one pretty good special going on like these, these or these.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]
To throw a recommendation out there, which is on the mild side, is the Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne.  My local B&M recommended it on my first visit, and they have been quiet popular with friends who aren't big smokers.

They are available in the El Gordo combo also with a herf-a-dor and a cutter (or was it a lighter, to many combos!)
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:25:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Some more good "break-in" cigars are any of the Drew Estate Tabak series.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't lead this man down the road of flavored cigars. There is much darkness and ridicule down that road.

OP: If you want a solid, cheap, good quality cigar--try an Oliva G Series. Arturo Fuente 858 natural is also an acceptable substitute.
A previous post mentioned the Perdomo Champagne line, which will also work.

Of course, if the OP gives us a price range with which he is comfortable, I can provide more tailored suggestions. Let me know what state, so i can adjust for local taxes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigars/75361/ci-fresh-rolled-cuban-wheels/

Yes, CI has some really great deals. My last two orders were these in Churchill size. I don't buy 8 or 10 dollar cigar anymore. these are just as good for a lot less.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I usually go for the CI 2nds. I don't care about the band, I go by taste and smell. Usually pretty good deals.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigars/name-brand-2nds/
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigars/75361/ci-fresh-rolled-cuban-wheels/

Yes, CI has some really great deals. My last two orders were these in Churchill size. I don't buy 8 or 10 dollar cigar anymore. these are just as good for a lot less.
View Quote

Wise words there. I like a good cigar, but I rarely want to smoke the whole thing at one shot. If I buy cheap cigars I don't mind ditching the last half of the stick.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't lead this man down the road of flavored cigars. There is much darkness and ridicule down that road.

OP: If you want a solid, cheap, good quality cigar--try an Oliva G Series. Arturo Fuente 858 natural is also an acceptable substitute.

Of course, if the OP gives us a price range with which he is comfortable, I can provide more tailored suggestions. Let me know what state, so i can adjust for local taxes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SC, as far as price, I don't know what to expect to spend on a decent "noob" cigar, last cigars I bought were flavored "house brand" tinder box cigars prpbably 15 years ago, thinking they were about 1.50 or so each?

Think I could find a decent beginner cigar for say $6-8 per? I hate to buy a bundle of 5-10 or more of the same cigar until I figure out what I like. Even then I don't see buying them more than 3-4 at a time as smoking will likely be a rare thing for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#14]
...where in SC are you?

All three of the cigars I listed in my quoted post are in that price range in my shop.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Horry/Marion county area, about 45 minutes inland from Myrtle Beach. Where's your shop?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:43:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story $6 per
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Any suggestions of a good shop in the myrtle/north myrtle/ conway
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Horry/Marion county area, about 45 minutes inland from Myrtle Beach. Where's your shop?
View Quote

Columbia. It's a bit of a haul for you. I'm not personally familiar with any shops near you.

On the rare occasion that I find myself on the Redneck Riviera, I typically hit Nick's Cigar World.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Columbia. It's a bit of a haul for you. I'm not personally familiar with any shops near you.

On the rare occasion that I find myself on the Redneck Riviera, I typically hit Nick's Cigar World.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where in Columbia? Next time I run to psa I may stop in
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did some one say a PSA run

Just hit up your local shop and let them know you are new to cigars ask for something in your price range and mild to start out with, hell while you're at it ask them to teach you the proper way to cut and light a cigar.

2nd the Oliva G suggestion.

I cant help you on the local shop's i am south of you in Moncks Corner .
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#22]
My shop is about 2 miles from the Fernandina Rd. PSA location.

5 stoplights. 2 turns.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:28:37 AM EDT
[#23]
What's the best way to keep a small amount of cigars "fresh" when I say small amount, I'm thinking less than 1/2 doz on hand at a time. I'd like to keep a few on hand, because when I get in the mood for something like that I'll want it now, not tomorrow, but I am thinking I'll prob avg 1-2 a month.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ziplock, gel pack and a cool place...not in direct sunlight or your glovebox.

I mean sure, you can buy a small sealable Pelican-like case but for that few sticks, low tech it.
If you talk to you local B&M and they carry Fuentes, they might just give you one if the humi packs they ship with new boxes.
My gal keeps a can full of them inside the walk-in and the regulars are welcome to help themselves.

Echo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the best way to keep a small amount of cigars "fresh" when I say small amount, I'm thinking less than 1/2 doz on hand at a time. I'd like to keep a few on hand, because when I get in the mood for something like that I'll want it now, not tomorrow, but I am thinking I'll prob avg 1-2 a month.

Ziplock, gel pack and a cool place...not in direct sunlight or your glovebox.

I mean sure, you can buy a small sealable Pelican-like case but for that few sticks, low tech it.
If you talk to you local B&M and they carry Fuentes, they might just give you one if the humi packs they ship with new boxes.
My gal keeps a can full of them inside the walk-in and the regulars are welcome to help themselves.

Echo

I like the Pelican (mine was actually a Plano) because I know I can't crush it. One of the Drymistat sticks inside, and life is good.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Just hit up your local shop and let them know you are new to cigars ask for something in your price range and mild to start out with, hell while you're at it ask them to teach you the proper way to cut and light a cigar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

im in Goose creek what shop do you go to?

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I hit lighthouse cigars in summerville when i am doing local shops. Tom is a good guy i need to pop in this week for some Padrons. "haven't been in a while"

Kingston and me had a falling out years ago and i don't darken their door way any more.
I understand they are under new ownership but i still haven't been back.

I'm taking a few week off from work so i will be hitting the shops this week and next plus ill be getting in some range time at boggyhead if you want to get together have a cigar and burn up some ammo.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I like shopping on http://www.cigarbid.com/

Deals to be found if you know what you like.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hit lighthouse cigars in summerville when i am doing local shops. Tom is a good guy i need to pop in this week for some Padrons. "haven't been in a while"

Kingston and me had a falling out years ago and i don't darken their door way any more.

I'm taking a few week off from work so i will be hitting the shops this week and next plus ill be getting in some range time at boggyhead if you want to get together have a cigar and burn up some ammo.

View Quote

ive been to light house once i liked it but The smoking lamp formally Kingston's is a mile from my house the owner Jeff is a good guy and has helped me out alot this past year being unemployed. he also bought the smoking lamp downtown hence the name change.  too many people had a bad dealing with Kingstons like yourself  
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

ive been to light house once i liked it but The smoking lamp formally Kingston's is a mile from my house the owner Jeff is a good guy and has helped me out alot this past year being unemployed. he also bought the smoking lamp downtown hence the name change.  too many people had a bad dealing with Kingstons like yourself  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I go by kingston every day on the way to work i may have to give the new owner a chance now that i am hearing some good about the shop.
You think Duck Ditch PD would mind if i parked a train in town and walked to the shop for a cigar?

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Gran habanos
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Diamond Crown Pyramid No. 7 Maduro

Ok that was a joke.

People have mentioned Hemingway Short Story, I actually prefer the Best Seller if you can find it. A little bit bigger cigar that lasts about 45 minutes as opposed to 30 for the SS, only about $6.50 a piece. The current regular release has a darker wrapper this year, they are delicious little smokes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, but it's a dangerous place.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay far away you will save 700% on some but will spend a metric fuck load saving money
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

The devils site.
Addictive
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#36]
These are decent

here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top