Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2014 10:13:43 PM EDT
Having just started off recently, all I have is a Tupperdor. It's a cake holder, holds about 50-60 sticks, and it stays right at 68% with two Boveda 69% packets in it. The first two that I put in there were starting to get a bit crispy after six months, so I pulled them out and replaced them with two new ones from the LCS.

However, I got to thinking... According to Boveda, they'll absorb water from the air, too! So, why not take these two, put them in a 15-piece travel humidor, pour in some distilled water, and see what happens?!

So, I put a shot glass with an ounce of distilled water in the corner of the humidor, put the two Boveda packs in the other corner, and shut the lid and sealed it up. Came back about a week later, all the water was gone, and the Boveda's were nice and plump! I just put them back in with another ounce of distilled water, and everything seems to be going great. Anyone else done this before? How'd it work out for you?

Edit: This humidor.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I do it all the time with the little travel boveda packs. Usually I just put a damp paper towel in with them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:08:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I use inexpensive sandwich size Tupperware with about a half inch of distilled water on bottom. Then one pack each container supported above the water on top of two inverted plastic forks. Works well. Average recharge takes about 1 to 2 weeks for the large packs. Then I rotate them with ones in humidors.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:28:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Neither of you have had any problems with doing this? I don't wanna do something that's going to screw up my sticks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#5]
No problems going on a year but should note all have been used in wood humidors. Plastic breathes less so they should last longer. If it were me I would open and get fresh air into a tupperdor more often (to avoid mold).
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No problems going on a year but should note all have been used in wood humidors. Plastic breathes less so they should last longer. If it were me I would open and get fresh air into a tupperdor more often (to avoid mold).
View Quote

I'm usually in there once a day, so.... ;)
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Right on.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done that several times,  but noticed that after 2-3 times of recharging the crystals start to get larger.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#9]

I went to Wallyworld and picked up some fairly inexpensive tupperware.  I cut the lid and bottom to match.  Cut a piece of window screen and glued all three together.  It doesn't look very pretty but it works well.  I just simply pour water in the bottom container and place my Boveda packs in the top container.  I humidify my wineador with 20 Boveda packs and have multiple sets of packs.  I just rotate them whenever they get low which isn't very often because of the higher humidity here.

I tried using silicone on my previous attempt and even after letting it dry and air out for several weeks, when water was added it would bring back the chemical smell of the silicone.  This time, I used Gorilla Glue and it seems to be working fine.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Never thought about that, good idea. Just a heads up, I stopped by my local Total Wine a few weeks ago and they had some boveda (small) packs on the counter and when I asked to purchase some,  the lady said they give them away to customers for free.  The cashier put 10 of them in a small zip lock bag for me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I recharge them with a wet paper towel in a separate Tupperware container.  Wet paper towel = more surface area so the water evaporates faster and is absorbed by the boveda faster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top