Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2014 11:54:20 PM EDT
Shameless plug first, check out my instagram at http://instagram.com/davidcigarmemoir for information with each photo as well as everything I have up so far. We got a ton of interviews and they should start going up on http://www.cigarmemoir.com/ sometime in the near future.

I will be glad to answer any questions about anything you see or general questions about the experience/people/things that were there that any of you have.

Here are some of the photos I got:

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anything from Viaje?

Eta- You have a new follower.
View Quote

The Viaje booth was almost nothing more than a Viaje print background. They had already sold their 3 latest lines before IPCPR. Not just sold, but shipped. So he literally had nothing to sell to the retailers at the show and therefor they had no incentive to stop and talk to him. It was a ghost town every time I walked by. Anyways, the Stuffed Turkey will now be its own line, there is a new vitola to the Satori line, there will be a Holiday Blend this year and he is working on a collaboration with Casa Fernandez.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:00:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Were there any noticeable trends this year?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

The super ring gauge is still popular apparently. I lost track of all the 7x70s, 6x80s and what not. Xikar even showed off a new 75rg cutter. Wish these would go away.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:42:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:44:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

more PC's and Robustos for me.
View Quote

By the beginning of day two we were telling everyone to think about bringing PCs for IPCPR2015. When you are smoking 5+ cigars a day it is painful to light up toro's when they want you to try a blend in the booth. I never saw so many half or less than half smoked cigars in ashtrays in all my life.

Edit: We were calling them "leaf crimes". Not sure who first said it to me. One of the manufacturers on Day 1 or two. But it stuck.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:52:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The super ring gauge is still popular apparently. I lost track of all the 7x70s, 6x80s and what not. Xikar even showed off a new 75rg cutter. Wish these would go away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I prefer the 60 and 70 ring gauge. I could really use that cutter.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:22:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I prefer the 60 and 70 ring gauge. I could really use that cutter.

View Quote

Look into this little guy from Cult then.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:59:13 AM EDT
[#9]
So how much swag did you walk away with? Do you have to smoke what they give you there or do they give you free samples to take with you?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:29:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So how much swag did you walk away with? Do you have to smoke what they give you there or do they give you free samples to take with you?
View Quote

I went home with a few shirts, got a hat signed by Jon Huber and about 100 cigars. We easily could have gotten more if we were trying/hustling, however we didn't ask for cigars. We knew that first and foremost they are there to do business. So anytime someone was talking with a retailer or seemed busy we left them be. And we definitely didn't want to be like one "media" person who I heard was told to get the fuck out of a booth after he was asking for more samples of a cigar he said he would review last year when they gave him samples and he still didn't even have a web site up.

Edit: There were also shady retailers to. Ones that take the samples / displays and then sell them in their shop. Heard a story of a retailer who was given 70 samples (from 5 lines) so everyone in his store could try the cigar first. The sales rep then stopped into the guys shop and found all the cigars in the humidor. The stop never opened an account or ordered.

There was someone this year that stole a whole box of pigs from the Drew Estate booth on day one. It was their only display box so no one else got to see them the rest of the show.

Double Edit: Photo of the hat from Jon, who was incredibly humble and welcoming. Seemed very grateful for everyone's help and support and was just happy to have people smoke his stuff. The Jericho Hill was unquestionably the best thing I smoked on the show floor.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i know it is personal preference, but i am seriously perplexed at the size of some of these smokes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

more PC's and Robustos for me.

By the beginning of day two we were telling everyone to think about bringing PCs for IPCPR2015. When you are smoking 5+ cigars a day it is painful to light up toro's when they want you to try a blend in the booth. I never saw so many half or less than half smoked cigars in ashtrays in all my life.

Edit: We were calling them "leaf crimes". Not sure who first said it to me. One of the manufacturers on Day 1 or two. But it stuck.

i know it is personal preference, but i am seriously perplexed at the size of some of these smokes.
I've got the limited Sopranos set in the bottom of my humi. There are a couple of large ones in there. I'll never smoke them.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Videos have started to go up on the site: http://www.cigarmemoir.com/

Including this winner with Matt Booth:

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Yesterday.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He seems like an interesting cat.
View Quote

He's an awesome dude.  I gave him an ingraved Marine Corps flask at a room 101 event.  

He was in 2/7.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn... i wish I had known that you were an arfcommer.

I was there with one of my brokers, spent most of my time with Eddie Ortega. I think I ran into you guys around the My Father booth.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Damn... i wish I had known that you were an arfcommer.

I was there with one of my brokers, spent most of my time with Eddie Ortega. I think I ran into you guys around the My Father booth.
View Quote

We stopped by the Ortega booth a couple times but not for very long.

We were all over the place, no plan of attack, lot of back and forth. There were booths that we realized at the end we never saw/stopped by at all. Next year I will be going in with a check list and marking them off.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I was in and out of Eddie's booth throughout the show. I work as a retailer in SC, but one of my brokers has me come help him out with orders/coverage on the show floor.

Works out great for both of us... he gets someone who knows the industry and product to help out, and I get a short vacation somewhere interesting.

That, and I get to inform my shop back home what all of the new stuff is, since the owner won't go to IPCPR.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I was in and out of Eddie's booth throughout the show. I work as a retailer in SC, but one of my brokers has me come help him out with orders/coverage on the show floor.

Works out great for both of us... he gets someone who knows the industry and product to help out, and I get a short vacation somewhere interesting.

That, and I get to inform my shop back home what all of the new stuff is, since the owner won't go to IPCPR.
View Quote
What a silly decision.

Hell he can just do what the owner of a local shop does here. He goes, makes his orders, then brings back about 200 sample cigars. Then he has a big party at his shop where he invites people in to have free cigars where they just grab from all the samples he brings back and he makes some money on other things at the same time while also creating an event that brings people back to his shop and creates some buzz.

Edit: It really isn't that expensive. Stayed next door at the Harrah's, averaged about $75 a night after taxes, split it between two of us.

Hoping to turn next year in New Orleans into more of a vacation. Go down a few days early with the wife and see some stuff.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I stayed at Harrah's last year... it was ok.

We did the Golden Nugget this year. Had to get some Fremont Street action. Pretty cool place.

The drive over to venetian was only a minor inconvenience, since we had a rental car handy. The rest of the crew took a road trip this year.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:56:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Winador is a bit more covered after the trip.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:08:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Lot more "hip" than I was expecting.  Great pics!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#24]
You have a new follower.... great post
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#25]
nice pics!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I love that the "Follow" stickers for Dan lead to a twitter account that he hasn't updated in a year.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I love that the "Follow" stickers for Dan lead to a twitter account that he hasn't updated in a year.
View Quote
Ha! Didn't even try.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#28]
If you have an Asylum/CLE rep ask them about the crazy palestinian shop owner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top