Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2014 11:48:39 AM EDT
So, I don't know how many of you followed the Jeff Reed (FatalWishes) thread, but it was (and still is) quite an emotional journey.  Jeff was a member here who ended up in the fight of his life against cancer.  He was in the hospital, feeling like death and full of chemo.  He felt like he had no one to talk to, and didn't want to burden his family.  So, in something that looked akin to a drunk post, he started a thread and poured out his guts here for all to see and read.  He told of how he was losing hope, losing faith, and eventually expressed that he really wanted someone to sit and talk with.

Well, within hours, there were arfcommers (previously complete strangers) sitting at Jeff's bedside, as well as hundreds of us here posting and chatting with him in his thread.  The thing took on a life of it's own, and immediately you started to see the most amazing fellowship and generosity start to gush forth from the membership here, it was truly inspiring.  Folks visited.  Folks donated cash (TENS of thousands of dollars), guns, yardwork and all sorts of other support.  Really, you need to go read the thread for yourself if you haven't already, but I'll warn you now, Jeff didn't make it.  His wife still posts in the thread, and she's become a friend to many here as well.

Somewhere in the middle of all this, Bill Geissele (yes, THAT Bill Geissele, of Geissele Automatics) dropped in and proposed a run of 50 custom SSA-E triggers, laser engraved with Jeff's likeness and "Cancer Sucks!", all proceeds of which were to go to Jeff and his family.  They sold out in hours, and Geissele mailed $10,000 worth of checks to Jeff.

I managed to be here at the right time, and snatched up trigger #15/50.  As soon as I got it in the mail, I knew what I had to do.  I started ordering up parts, and I started my first AR-15 build.  The rifle came out fantastic, and I learned plenty in the process.

It turns out that trigger #28 ended up in the hands of our very own TxPopGun.  He built an even more amazing gun around that trigger, you should see that one someday too! TxPopGun was very active in Jeff's thread, and contributed VERY generously to his family.

Anyway (and yes, I'm getting to the point!), TxPopGun and I began to chat a bit behind the scenes about the rifles we were building.  Soon, he noticed I had posted some pics with cigars, and deduced I must have been a BOTL.  He mentioned it in a PM, asked for my address and hinted he might send me a couple of his favorite cigars.

Uhhhh, a COUPLE???   Yesterday, the big brown truck pulled in, dropped of a box from Texas, and I found this inside:

Holy Crap!!!  Now what do I do?  I have two desktop humi's, but they're both almost full, I have no room for these treasures!  

Well, thanks to this site, I had read a bit about Coolerdors.  Turns out, I had this nearly new small igloo that fit the bill perfectly.  Broke up some old boxes, fiddled with it all a bit, and here's how it ended up:

I wiped down a good bit of the cedar with DI water before putting it in, so the humidity has spiked a bit. I've got the lid cracked partially open until it stabilizes, which will work fine since our ambient humidity is hovering in the 70's right now anyway.  

So, in the end, I owe a big THANK YOU to TxPopGun, and to Jeff Reed.  These two guys have done more than become my friends, they have both taught me valuable lessons in my life.  Upon receiving this package from Texas, I was almost immediately struck with the thought "Always give more than you expect to receive".  I'll tell you, I first learned that lesson here a couple years ago, and the more I live it, the more I love it.  Obviously, TxPopGun lives that way too.  

Thank you Brother, I'll certainly enjoy these fine sticks!!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#1]
TxPopGun

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Assassination thread?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Assassination thread?
View Quote

huh?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

huh?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assassination thread?

huh?

I think TXPopGun is trying to kill you.    Dibs on powder.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah, got it.  I assure you, it'll be a slow, blissfull death!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn, I need friends like this.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys are all awesome! Just when I think "ah, people are moving on with their lives; memories of Jeff are fading", this pops up. It always does my heart good to know he continues to have a positive effect somewhere in the living world. Bless you!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You guys are all awesome! Just when I think "ah, people are moving on with their lives; memories of Jeff are fading", this pops up. It always does my heart good to know he continues to have a positive effect somewhere in the living world. Bless you!
View Quote

Damnit, I think I just got some cigar smoke in my eye!!!

Reta, so glad you dropped in here to say Hi.  Yes, we're still thinking of you, Jeff and the kids!
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I like cigars too and would love to fill my humidor up now that I'm making hardly any money being out of Germany. I literally only have $400 - $500 from my paycheck and anywhere from $100 - $150 goes to gas. This is after paying insurance and the loan which comes in at $210. Then I have my cell bill so I have no money to spend anymore.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a buddy boarding the plane for Baghdad today.  I managed to stuff my pelican travel humidor filled with Oliva G's into his kit.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#13]
TXPopGun, these Rocky Patel OSG's are the BOMB!!!

Grilled a nice fat steak for dinner, then lit this for desert. Going nicely with a Columbia Valley Merlot!

Thanks again Brother!!!  
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#14]
very nice
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great people like your husband will never fade away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top