Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2014 4:00:54 PM EDT
I started smoking cigars earlier this year and have tried several different sticks, starting with the Acid infused and moving up the ladder.
I liked the Kuba Kuba to start with, then discovered the CAO LX2. Now my new favorite is the Partagas 1845 gold label.

After the Partagas, the others I originally liked just aren't as good. I've read what many think of the Acid series so I guess my taste must be getting better since I don't really care for them anymore.

I've tried quite a few others, including the Partagas red label, but so far, I like the gold label the best. Can some of you, with more refined paletes than mine, point me to the next cigar you think I should try?

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Or....

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#2]
These Punch Rare Corojos really aren't bad at all.

http://www.famous-smoke.com/punch+rare+corojo+el+doble+cigars/item+21271
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Go straight for the Liga Pravada.  T52, UH-13, Feral pig.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
I tried a Romeo y Julieta Reserve 1875 (iirc) a while back and liked it then tried a different Romeo y Julieta & wasn't as impressed.
I usually stick with robustos, is there any reason to go with a larger or smaller cigar? An average robusto takes me from 1:20 to 2 hours to smoke; I would imagine a churchill would push me close to the 3 hour mark.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]
phillies

JK
Try a Liga Privita, or if they are to hard to find, undercrown.

Undercrown is a damn tasty stick
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the Namakubia from Room 101.  Spicy, full body cigar developed by a vet who spent a lot of time in the Far East.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go straight for the Liga Pravada.  T52, UH-13, Feral pig.
View Quote

Definitely out of the "smoke regularly" price range on my pay. I'll have to see if I can find a single or two to try.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Buy anything Tatuaje or Don Pepin Garcia.

601 Blue as well
View Quote

Everything this man says is true.

None of these will disappoint.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#12]
601 Green Oscuro.  You'll thanks me later....
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Try a Perdomo petit corona. We fight to get boxes of these when they show up at our B&M.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Also, anything Padron.  Pick up an Undercrown as well
View Quote

I'll second Padron. They aren't my favorite, but they are always good, well constructed and the smaller sizes are very reasonable, like $4 range at my local B&M, plus the Anniversaries are awesome when you do want to get spendy. Undercrown is good but if I want a LP I usually just splurge on an LP 9. They cost too damn much, but there's something about them.

One I don't see mentioned much anymore is the CAO Brazil. I've been disappointed by some of CAOs other offerings, but I really like the Brazil.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

601 Blue as well
View Quote

One of my favorites. Some Legado dep Pepin came in yesterday and when I went to put them in the humidor I realised I had a couple of 5 packs in there already, so broke on out last night.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

601 Blue as well

Indeed
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#17]
if you like pain...... Joya de Nic be sure to skip a few meals beforehand... mo' betta....

just kidding, dont do that.... learn from me
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I now have the following settling in:
Romeo y Julieta Tubos
Punch Rare Corojos
Liga Pravada #9
Papa Fritos
Undercrown
and a 601 sampler.

I tried a Partagas Extra Oscuro the other night, it was good, but holy crap! By the time it was down to about 2.5" or so, I thought I was going to puke. I'm assuming this was from the nicotine as it happened once before, but I don't remember which cigar I was smoking the first time.

On another note, I got a box of Partagas 1844's in and they taste like crap. I'm letting them settle in, but the first 2 or 3 I tried were nothing like the previous box. Is this normal? The two boxes came from two different suppliers if that makes a difference.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm finding I like most of the Camacho line.  

Try Rocky Patel.  The Decade and Edge Maduro being my favorites.

Room 101 Daruma.

And you cannot go wrong with a Fuente.  Try the Hemingway line, and if you can find them an Opus X for a special occasion.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Ave Maria
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I think you should probaly try CAO Brazilia Football Robusto Cigar 1's
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#23]
If your looking for cheaper cigars, Padron is one of my few go to cigars because I know what I'm getting every time I buy one.

My Father puts out some very good cigars, I haven't had a bad one yet.

Drew Estate, the same company that makes Acid makes good quality cigars.  One of my favorites is the My Uzi Weighs a Ton (MUWAT), they also make the Undercrown and Liga Privada lines.

Asylum 13 makes some pretty good full bodied cigars that can be found at a decent price.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Fuente sungrown rosado or Hemmingway. Anejo when you have some luxury spending funds or an event.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fuente sungrown rosado or Hemmingway. Anejo when you have some luxury spending funds or an event.

View Quote

Very limited cigar.  Comes out once a year and can be spendy.

tampasweetheartcigar.com  Can find them here every now and again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Now that some of my smokes have had a chance to rest, I've picked out a few to make my short list list.

San Cristobal
Liga Pivada No 9
Papa Fritas
MUWAT XXL - I have some Baitfish on order.
Partagas
A Fuente Diamond Crown

I was hoping that my second box of the Partagas 1845's was just a bad box so I ordered a third box. It was better than the second (but not by much) so now I have two boxes in the cooler taking a nap. I'll revisit them later and, hopefully, they'll improve.
I'll admit that I was was extremely disappointed with the 1845's. If the rest of the boxes had been as good as that first one, I don't think I would smoke anything else.

The search continues......

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Now that some of my smokes have had a chance to rest, I've picked out a few to make my short list list.

San Cristobal
Liga Pivada No 9
Papa Fritas
MUWAT XXL - I have some Baitfish on order.
Partagas
A Fuente Diamond Crown

I was hoping that my second box of the Partagas 1845's was just a bad box so I ordered a third box. It was better than the second (but not by much) so now I have two boxes in the cooler taking a nap. I'll revisit them later and, hopefully, they'll improve.
I'll admit that I was was extremely disappointed with the 1845's. If the rest of the boxes had been as good as that first one, I don't think I would smoke anything else.

The search continues......

View Quote

Good to great cigars are easy to find when you get lucky. Ones that are consistently so or stay that way are much fewer. Go to Tampasweethearts as the other poster mentioned, or get samplers from the discount sites. I used to really clean up at cigarbid personally, but it takes some patience. If you have time, get cigars that are consistently good and age them until great. Take a Padron maduro and give it enough time and it turns into something special. I have a crapload in my coolerdor of all different sorts that have a couple of years (some much more) of age under ideal conditions from when I was quitting smoking cigarettes. I've mostly been vaping instead though so I'm thinking of parting with a lot of that. I'd be happy to pop off a sampler to you free.

Edit - carefully. Tampasweethearts cuts both ways:
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I just checked out the Tampa Sweethearts website. I can't believe how expensive it is for Opus X cigars.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correction, twice. Usually close to fathers day, then again during the holidays.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I just checked out the Tampa Sweethearts website. I can't believe how expensive it is for Opus X cigars.
View Quote

I had a very hard time with the concept. Then I smoked one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I just finished a 601 La Bomba.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

19:05 - Got home from work, fired up a green.
19:25 - Had to stop & eat 1/2 a sammich. Refill sweet tea.
20:00 - Why is the room spinning?

ETA:

22:00 - Wha.......

What happened?

I awake to find myself face down in the yard, the nub of a cigar still clenched in my teeth, & half of my mustache has been burned away.

The 601 Green was pretty good, but I think I'll stick with the yellow for now until I build up a nicotine resistance.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

ETA:

What happened?

I awake to find myself face down in the yard, the nub of a cigar still clenched in my teeth, & half of my mustache has been burned away.

The 601 Green was pretty good, but I think I'll stick with the yellow for now until I build up a nicotine resistance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

What happened?

I was like that after my first Camacho Diploma....
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just finished a 601 La Bomba.

View Quote

Another enters the fold

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Those are good breakfast smokes
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I have come to realize that the paid membership to ARFCOM is the cheapest thing about this place.

The true ARFCOM curse is all the money I spend on gear reviewed here. What's that old saying?
"Buying stuff I don't need with money I don't have to impress people I don't like"

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Shit now I need shelves for my coolerdor
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Rocky Patel Decade

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top