Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2014 10:50:39 PM EDT

Hey guys, figured I'd share this story with you and ask what happened.

So here I was smoking a Puerto Rican cigar out of a box that I purchased a long time ago, almost a year. Keep in mind I haven't smoked a cigar in over 5 years and that box had not seen a humidor since I bought it (Yeah, I know). So I go outside, starting by biting the butt off, lighting it ,  and smoking it.  Burned evenly, had a bitter coffee flavor to it, and it lasted about 45 minutes until I reached the label. Did not inhale one bit nor swallowed the spit.

It wasn't until after I took off the label and 5 minutes in I started getting nauseous, the world starts spinning, and I'm stumbling inside and end up laying on the living room just trying to stay still. A minute later I feel the urge to puking and start walking like a drunkard, stumbling and bumping into the walls on the way to the bathroom. And I end up puking up my brunch of apples, peanut butter, and oranges that I consumed a little over an hour before the smoke. Then I got the case of the shits that came out faster than an Ethiopian running after a chicken.

I'm pissed and came to the conclusion that the cigars went bad from not being in a humidor. I proceeded to throw the entire case of those cigars into the fire pit in the backyard and lit them after half an hour of being on the toilet puking and shitting.

Has this ever happened to others? I ate a good meal before, kept myself hydrated, never inhaled, always spat, and smoked slowly. Only to end up with the pukes and shits?

Link Posted: 5/21/2014 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#1]
wait that is not suspossed to happen. I've been doing it wrong again
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Aww that sux I'm not a smoker but I've had a cigar or 2 before and never had that happen.  But I have been light headed dizzy . Idk if they can go bad I thought they just dry out n fall apart. But it may not have mixed well with apples(can cause diarrhea) peanut butter (oily and bugs my belly if I eat to much) oranges (acidic) just a thought sorry not much help..
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
That was simply too much nicotine for you.  Used to happen every once in a while when we dipped or chewed too often when we were young fellers lol.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It happened even to the best of us, even on mild cigars, in my case, a Davidoff.
You might have cuts in your gum you did not know, which the nicotine penetrates into the blood stream, or having a hard draw, which will resulting in accidentally inhale the smoke, or you might have been tired for the day....lots of reason.

Puking is one option, but sugar or candy really helps without the mess.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#5]
very common when you haven't smoked in while and usually by the time you hit the ring (or sooner depending on gauge and what tobaccos you are/were accustomed to) you have enough in your system to make you feel woozy.
Hit me like that the first time I smoked a NUB (Cameroon wrapper).
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I love to smoke cigars, but they make me sick almost every time.  I have almost given up on them.  I will still smoke one from time to time, but I will rarely smoke anything down to the band.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

very common when you haven't smoked in while and usually by the time you hit the ring (or sooner depending on gauge and what tobaccos you are/were accustomed to) you have enough in your system to make you feel woozy.

Hit me like that the first time I smoked a NUB (Cameroon wrapper).
View Quote

Damn, next time I'll just smoke half of it instead of all of it.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I never got to the point of puking but had pre puke saliva build up before. Never happens when I smoke outdoors, but has in a cigar shop with poor ventilatio .
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#10]
alcohol involved ?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I never got anywhere near that bad. I think if I got to the point I think that might happen I might just sacrifice the rest of the cigar and call it a night.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I never got anywhere near that bad. I think if I got to the point I think that might happen I might just sacrifice the rest of the cigar and call it a night.
View Quote

That's the thing, I didn't feel it coming until I hit the label area. It was like a sucker punch.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

alcohol involved ?
View Quote

Nope.....

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably nicotine.
I wouldn't give up if you enjoy cigars

Smoke slow. Draw every minute or so.
Have a coke or dr. pepper with you.. sugar helps the nicotine effects
Smoke small or half.
Full stomach
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Nicotine poisoning.  Sugar or pectin (an apple) is your solution.

And... maybe not doing a lot of heavy lifting with a strong cigar.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 2:08:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Interesting… I have never really had a bad reaction to cigars.   The only thing I can remember is a very very mild case of nausea when I first started.  

Nicotine obviously isn't the most healthiest thing to consume.  Like others have said, you may just be sensitive to it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Just smoke half next time until your tolerance builds up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nope.....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
alcohol involved ?

Nope.....

Well there's your problem.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

alcohol involved ?

Nope.....

Never did like alcoholic drinks, WAY too bitter for my taste. I prefer something sweet and sugary.....

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#20]
So this one time I had an opus x band in perfect condition and a "pirates gold" cigar.  A little white glue and voila, an opus fake.  I gave it to my buddy and he lit up.  He enjoyed the hell out of it, meanwhile during the course of conversation I keep dropping hints saying things like "things aren't always what they seem" and "never judge a book by its cover".  Everyone in on it was laughing to the point of tears.  He never caught on, and left the stub with the band still intact in his car to finish in the morning.  Well he threw up several Times that night and then picked up the cigar in the morning, found the real band underneath and threatened to beat my ass.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Not having smoked in 5 years + a 45 minute cigar + brunch can pose a problem with nic sickness (overdose).
Your body hasnt built up a tolerence and you had (practically) nothing on your stomach.

Sorry bud, but you just pissed away a bunch of sticks for no reason

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the thing, I didn't feel it coming until I hit the label area. It was like a sucker punch.

View Quote

And thats usually where they stick the potent tobacco if its not the same throughout
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#22]
As said too much nic for you. Next time have a sugary drink with the cigar.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So this one time I had an opus x band in perfect condition and a "pirates gold" cigar.  A little white glue and voila, an opus fake.  I gave it to my buddy and he lit up.  He enjoyed the hell out of it, meanwhile during the course of conversation I keep dropping hints saying things like "things aren't always what they seem" and "never judge a book by its cover".  Everyone in on it was laughing to the point of tears.  He never caught on, and left the stub with the band still intact in his car to finish in the morning.  Well he threw up several Times that night and then picked up the cigar in the morning, found the real band underneath and threatened to beat my ass.
View Quote

I laughed, guess I'll go ahead and strike Pirate's Gold off my list of smokes to try.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#24]
As the nicotine laced smoke is drawn through the cigar, it accumulates more and more as the cigar gets shorter.

The dose ramps up suddenly at the end.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 2:10:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Sounds more like you got a premium nicotine punch to the nuts  That happens now and then.....Usually I   get a couple of Altoid mints to help me ride it out..lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#27]
What's a good way to avoid or treat it if you're on a carb-restricted diet?  I'm on the South Beach diet right now trying
to knock off some weight, get back in shape, and go back into the NG.  Are there other foods that'll help?  I guess fruit
would be OK.  Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had a milder version of what happened to you (OP) earlier this summer when I smoked a cigar too fast and on an empty stomach, not a good combination. I ate some candy and drank some soda to ride it out and then I was good to go.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#29]
That is what is called "Nicotine Poisoning"
that is a natural body reaction to poisons is to vomit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Since you like sweet drinks, have a root beer or other sugary drink next time you smoke a cigar.

That should help counteract the negative effect that you are getting from the nicotine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:54:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Come on.....say it with me....

"....a spoon full of sugar...keeps your din din down...."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It happened even to the best of us, even on mild cigars, in my case, a Davidoff.
You might have cuts in your gum you did not know, which the nicotine penetrates into the blood stream, or having a hard draw, which will resulting in accidentally inhale the smoke, or you might have been tired for the day....lots of reason.

Puking is one option, but sugar or candy really helps without the mess.

Come on.....say it with me....

"....a spoon full of sugar...keeps your din din down...."

I am slow, I know.
It wasn't until last night, I watch Mary Poppins (wife force me to, and no pic, opsec), to know what you are talking about.  
Now I cannot get the tune out of my head.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Drinking a glass of Port while smoking a  heavy cigar is routinely a great match-up for me...
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That was simply too much nicotine for you.  Used to happen every once in a while when we dipped or chewed too often when we were young fellers lol.
View Quote

This. lol
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Drinking a glass of Port while smoking a  heavy cigar is routinely a great match-up for me...
View Quote

Exactly this for me.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:31:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Buy some crystalized Ginger candy (Trader Joes) and keep near..It will stop nausea and settle your stomach quickly...

If not, then keep some peppermint or other hard candy near by. When you feel it coming on set your cigar down and pop a candy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:33:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As said too much nic for you. Next time have a sugary drink with the cigar.
View Quote

Try a glass of Port with your cigars next time you smoke .. Port blends very nicely with it's flavor profile.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#38]
next time you have a question about cigars ask us before you throw a couple hundred bucks of sticks in the fire.

but then again, you said they weren't kept in a humidor, so... fire away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top