Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2014 9:10:40 AM EDT
Hey yall, I want to get into smoking a pipe and I was wondering what were some good tobaccos yall use and what ones to stay away from.
Thank you.

Ghilie

Edit - I am currently deployed so if there are any websites that are able to ship over here please post them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally like Captain Black-Red pouch (kind of a cherry flavor), I also like the white packet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Dunhill is a strong bet on all counts. I don't smoke any longer, but when I did, Early Morning Pipe was my favorite. Ian Flemming, of James Bond fame, smoked Dunhill exclusively. So did James Bond.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/dunhill/

Davidoff, Nat Sherman, CAO, etc. are all very good as well. Just don't buy cheap crap. It's like smoking mulch.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/

The above link has a decent selection, and really a pretty good range in price point. It's not gospel, of course, but a decent catalog.

If you're serious, you'll need to get yourself a nice, basic, bent or billiard shape pipe (briar wood) from a decent maker; prepare to spend about $100.

Follow the break in instructions available online and you should enjoy it for many, many years to come.

Also, be prepared to clear out of or be cleared out of any room you're in, especially by the fairer sex.

By your use of y'all, OP, I take it you live in God's country; if you take to the pipe and you don't already have a front porch with a rocking chair, invest in one.

And if you can, look for a local tobacconist. My friend worked for a great shop in the DC area, called Old Virginia Tobacco. Try finding one in your area. The proprietor will likely give you some samples of their house or bulk tobaccos with the purchase of a pipe, and help you select them based on your taste in whiskey, wine, etc.
P.S. Corncob, or brand name "Missouri Meerschaum" (the best quality), pipes are still very cool and great to smoke. https://corncobpipe.com/smokingpipes.html If you're hesitant to invest in an Anglo-Irish-European pipe because of cost, go for good ole' American corn cob. They just don't last particularly long. But with a good tobacco, heavy on the vanilla notes, it's like smoking a glass of Maker's Mark.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#3]
And never light a pipe with a Zippo or other lighter that uses anything other than butane, or you will taste it FOREVER.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey thanks for the links, I just ordered some tobacco and a corncob pipe. It has free shipping to APO/FPO addresses!
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Hey thanks for the links, I just ordered some tobacco and a corncob pipe. It has free shipping to APO/FPO addresses!
View Quote

Glad to hear it. Thank you for your service. Come home safe.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well then....I have been doing it wrong for a very long time.

Guess I better pitch the nice Zippo a member sent me.

Now don't get all butthurt....use what you like and like what you use.

I also have a XIKAR Pipeline but the Zippo is in my vehicle 24/7.
Echo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And never light a pipe with a Zippo or other lighter that uses anything other than butane, or you will taste it FOREVER.

Echo

Not butthurt at all. I really dig the Pipeline, but Zippos can be cool as hell, too.
http://i0.wp.com/hypebeast.com/image/2012/08/retrospect-vintage-vietnam-war-zippo-lighters-4.jpg?w=1410
I've just always preferred them for a freshly rolled cigarette or the occasional Lucky Strike. When I'm doing something that might kill me, I like to do it with something that could save my life.
http://masterpiecelighters.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/zippo-war.jpeg?w=558

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Echo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Echo

I never would light a cigar with a zippo after the first and only time I tried it.

When smoking a pipe, I don't seem to notice any foul taste whatsoever like I did with a cigar.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Zippo user here too.....

Echo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zippo user here too.....

Echo

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I use Zippos almost exclusively. Never noticed a taste. I smoke Lane BC-A
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of different styles of tobacco, Drew Estates has a line of Aromatics (flavored) that are very good.  Solani Silver flake is a great virginia flake (non-flavored). Then there are Latakias that have a heavy smokey flavor, and others.

4noggins.com ships internationally.

ETA: I use a pipe Zippo frequently and have no issues with flavor.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I seem to really enjoy this one right now

Don't forget the old standby's

Prince Albert is smooth and light tasting, easy to light, burns nicely.
Sir Walter Raleigh
Walnut
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I like Balkan blends versus the aromatics and Virginias, although I do occasionally smoke a Virginia.

My favorites are:

McClelland Brand:  Blue Mountain and Legends
Hearth and Home:  Black House
Esoterica Tobacciana:  Penzance (I love this one)

For Virginias I like McClelland brand Virginias (#24).

I don't really like Cornell and Diehl tobaccos, for some reason they don't agree with me (maybe higher Nicotine content).  I've tried GL Pease tobaccos (blended by Cornell and Diehl) and have the same aversion.  It's too bad because I really wanted to like Pease tobacco blends.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I really like Ashton "Smooth Sailing" ... lighter flavor, needs a few minutes to air out before packing, but a nice smooth smoke for me.

Which reminds me I need to find another tin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top