Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2014 10:19:42 PM EDT
So I gave up drinking for lent. Seemed like a good idea at the time...... Anyways I've decided if I make it all the way through the Lenten season I will treat my self to a nice bottle of scotch. I really enjoy Balvanie but are open to suggestions. I've never had a Islay scotch so am kinda apprehensive in spending that much on something I may hate. Though I can't say I would rule it out. My only true limit is I don't want to spend more than $200. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 1:09:06 AM EDT
[#1]
That one is really tough… You will most likely get such a wide range of answers because there are so many different kinds of scotch.   There are many I have seen here that are favorites that I wouldn't touch if it was free.  

I would be careful about trying an expensive Islay.  If you have never had one the experience can be…. Shocking.    I can throw out a couple bottles for you.

Glenlivet 21 - I have always enjoyed this one
Macallan 18 -  It is good, but I am not sure it justifies the jump in price from the 12.  
Highland Park 18 or 21 -  HP used to be one of my favorite scotches.  However, the flavor of the bottles I have had has changed dramatically over the last couple of years.. At least in my experience.  My dad has noticed the same thing, and he lives in Missouri.  I need to try a bottle to see what it is like now. I can usually only get the 18 around here though, and I can't get anything shipped to OK.  
I would still recommend the 18 or 21 but with caution.  It might be a little smokey for you.  
Balvenie Portwood 21 -  I haven't tried this one yet, but I have heard it is really nice.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:06:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:31:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Balvine Portwood gets a second vote.

Dalmore 18 is also a fine choice...but I tend to look to the darker colors and the more wood changes, the better.
A port or sherry finish adds points for me...especially port.

Echo
View Quote

The Glenlivet  18 is a good but less expensive one. If you're treating yourself, go for the 21.

Can't go wrong with the Dalmore 18 either.

If you really want to treat yourself, get The Glenlivet 25
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm fairly new to scotch and haven't tried very many brands, but out of the less than $100 bottles, my new favorite is the Bunnahabhain 12 year old. It was my first Islay, but it won't be my last.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, if you are a fan of Balvenie I would encourage you to give the Balvenie Caribbean Cask a try.  It is a 14 year that is extra matured in rum casks.   It has a really nice sort of sweet finish.  I always have a bottle of it on hand.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#6]
balvenie doublewood 17  

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also, if you are a fan of Balvenie I would encourage you to give the Balvenie Caribbean Cask a try.  It is a 14 year that is extra matured in rum casks.   It has a really nice sort of sweet finish.  I always have a bottle of it on hand.
View Quote

That one is my favorite Blavenie, love the stuff.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm thinking of maybe splitting it up and getting a bottle of Balvanie 17 and laphroaig 18. What says the hive?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm thinking of maybe splitting it up and getting a bottle of Balvanie 17 and laphroaig 18. What says the hive?
View Quote

Leapfrog??     Tastes like cough syrup and camp fires..  Some people like it, but I don't even like touching the bottle.  I'm afraid some of it will stick to my fingers.  

Report back on how you like it if you end up going that route..  
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:34:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Leapfrog??     Tastes like cough syrup and camp fires..  Some people like it, but I don't even like touching the bottle.  I'm afraid some of it will stick to my fingers.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you take that back right now

I don't know how old it is but the Ardbeg Uigedaill is pretty damn had to beat. The only downside is it kind of ruins everything else for you,
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:43:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
balvenie doublewood 17  

View Quote

My gf is picking me up a bottle of that right now actually, heard great things about it.

Next up I would like to try some of Old Pulteney's older bottling, notably the 21 yr.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#13]
How much are you finding the Balvenie Doublewood 17 for?  I haven't seen it here, but the prices online make it seem like it is around $130-$140 a bottle.  

The 15 and the 17 just seem way overpriced for what you get.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#14]
The Balvanie was $110 and the laphroaig was $85
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Balvenie Portwood 21
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Balvanie was $110 and the laphroaig was $85
View Quote

$110 sounds a lot better.  I will have to do some looking around here for it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#18]
The cheapest Balvanie 21 is $185 around here.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#19]
The portwood 21 around here is $190.   That is the only reason I haven't tried it yet.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Glendronach 18 is my favorite Scotch in the world.  I paid 79 Euros at a duty free shop in the Amsterdam airport for the last bottle I found, and haven't seen it in the USA, despite looking.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#21]
www.masterofmalt.com and get some samples.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How much are you finding the Balvenie Doublewood 17 for?  I haven't seen it here, but the prices online make it seem like it is around $130-$140 a bottle.  

The 15 and the 17 just seem way overpriced for what you get.
View Quote

I bought a bottle for my best man's gift and remember paying around 108-110 at specs. The rest of the groomsmen got bottles of balvenie single barrel, except for the one guy that doesn't do whiskey, he got a bottle of nice tequila.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

BCC is a favorite of mine and I think a bargin for the price.  Also Jura makes some nice scotches that's 'a little of the beaten path' and not as pricey.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#24]
There can be only one

Lagavulin and you only need 16yrs on that
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There can be only one

View Quote

This man speaks the truth.

The thing with Islays is that they are quite bold, I prefer that. So if you find yourself more drawn to lighter, more floral scotches they may not be the correct match. Or they could blow you out of the water. I think it is very much worth getting a bottle of Lagavulin. If it doesn't work out as well as you like, you'll still have money left over for something else.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Balvenie 17 or Macallan 18.
View Quote

Can't go wrong with either
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a bottle of Lagavulin 16.   I think it is pretty good.   As long as whoever buys it understands that it has the smokey/peat flavor I would say try it.   A lot of people really don't like those flavors though and could just be throwing money away trying it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a glenlivet fan myself I'd say the glen 21 or McAllen 18
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Get yourself a nice bourbon.  For what you pay for a nice bottle of scotch, you can get a world class bourbon.  $200 will buy you a bottle of George T. Stagg, Jeffersons Presidential 21 year old, a few bottles of some excellent 20 year old juice and so on.  I enjoy all forms of whiskey/whisky, but the best bang for your buck right now is bourbon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Get yourself a nice bourbon.  For what you pay for a nice bottle of scotch, you can get a world class bourbon.  $200 will buy you a bottle of George T. Stagg, Jeffersons Presidential 21 year old, a few bottles of some excellent 20 year old juice and so on.  I enjoy all forms of whiskey/whisky, but the best bang for your buck right now is bourbon.
View Quote

Unfortunately, I can't find any of those around here.  I can have them special ordered by a shop, but the markup is huge.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Unfortunately I accidentally sent 2 car payments in last month so I had to dip into my splurge fund. So I settled on a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter cask. Not what I had originally planed on getting but still excited to try. On the plus side my BIL brought me back some Cigar City beer from Florida and one of my sisters brought up some Dogfish Head 90min IPA when she came up from Texas last time. Plus I'm I'm sitting on a few cases of rare and hard to find beer bombers so I think it should still be a good Easter. Thanks for all the help guys my birthday is next month and may have to revisit this thread.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#32]
OBAN 18 YO
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a fan of JW Gold. It's damn good for $85 a bottle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There can be only one

View Quote

This.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top