Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2014 9:46:32 AM EDT
Hey guys. I am going to smoke my first cigar within the next couple weeks with my Big in my Frat. I currently vape pretty frequently so its not like im new to smoking, Just new to cigar smoking. What are some suggestions on a cigar I should get? Im used to the sweetness of vapes, so I would like something pretty sweet. Im just looking for suggestions on what cigar I should get. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Cigars aren't supposed to be sweet.  The ones that are will usually be pre-hollowed out.  

You are probably better off looking for something more mild, but knowing your price range would be helpful.  Good cigars can be as cheap as $5 and over $50.  The folks here will be able to give you some good recommendations when you narrow down your price range.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure what a Big is. Frat I get.
There is a lot of cigar "do's and don'ts" info and etiquette. Google it.
If you are offered a cigar and don't have buy one you won't commit the error of sniffing a cigar in a shop. Don't do that.
If you are buying a cigar in a shop, explain to the shop person you are a novice and ask for a recommendation. Price isn't always the final arbiter of a "good" cigar. As a novice a lot of the nuances of a high priced cigar will be lost on you.
Cigar bands . . . We I was a pup, you didn't smoke a cigar with the band. It was considered poor etiquette. Now days, not so much. Follow the crowd.  
Once you choose a ring size, smoke the longest version of it available. Just my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure what a Big is. Frat I get.
There is a lot of cigar "do's and don'ts" info and etiquette. Google it.
If you are offered a cigar and don't have buy one you won't commit the error of sniffing a cigar in a shop. Don't do that.
If you are buying a cigar in a shop, explain to the shop person you are a novice and ask for a recommendation. Price isn't always the final arbiter of a "good" cigar. As a novice a lot of the nuances of a high priced cigar will be lost on you.
Cigar bands . . . We I was a pup, you didn't smoke a cigar with the band. It was considered poor etiquette. Now days, not so much. Follow the crowd.  
Once you choose a ring size, smoke the longest version of it available. Just my humble opinion.
View Quote

Unless its different a big is a big brother in essence one to mentor you

In blue is very sound advice

Also if you are novice think of smoking a cigar like wine tasting (emphasis on tasting) these aint cigs they are meant to taste exhaled out. you'll learn quick if your smoking it like a cig
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey guys. I am going to smoke my first cigar within the next couple weeks with my Big in my Frat. I currently vape pretty frequently so its not like im new to smoking, Just new to cigar smoking. What are some suggestions on a cigar I should get? Im used to the sweetness of vapes, so I would like something pretty sweet. Im just looking for suggestions on what cigar I should get. Thanks guys.
View Quote

First off before I start. Cigars are not vaped, sweet, or sold in little grape, purple, strawberry, champagne packs.
They are sold in celephane, glass tubes, nonamerican cedar boxes etc.. (sadly acids are cigars)

Now cigars will be like nothing you have ever had. They are spicy, flavorful, sticks of heaven that you will toast to light.

I recommend this.
Find a local Brick and Mortar (B&M) cigar shop
then buy a 601, doesnt matter on the color. (You rarely go wrong with a 601)
Plan to spend an hour or more smoking it.

Ask the B&M guy to show you how to cut and to light.
Seriously if they dont help or make you feel like an idiot, find a new place.
These guys should welcome you with open arms and teach you the proper techniques on this.

There is no shame is asking for help on this. You have to make sure you get it done right. Otherwise it will possibly push you away from cigars.
This cut and the light are really important to getting the right taste and burn out of a cigar.

Take a pen and piece of paper, take notes (your words) on the draw, taste during each third of the cigar.

Come back afterwards and we can help you further.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the advice! Ill definently take it all into consideration. I do understand that smoking a cigar is not like vaping. I just said that to say that Im used to smoking and that Im not college kid whose never smoked before trying to pick this up. lol. I understand also that they wont be sweet like vapes or anything, and was just saying that im used to sweet flavors, and i dont want something thats going to make me gag or anything cuz it taste bad to me. My Big, or Big Brother is very educated on this as he is an avid cigar smoker and collector. So trust his advice, and I know that he wont lead me wrong. He told me hes going to get me one thats not to heavy, and he said since i lobe coffee so much he has one in mind called Tabak Especial. I greatly appreciate the advice and I will definently keep you guys informed on what I think. We are getting together for a smoke wednesday eveing. Im looking foward to the bonding over a cigar and a glass of wine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I've smoked a ton of the tabak especials. You need to know that they're flavored cigars. The tips are dipped. The taste can grate on your pallet after a while, so be cautious of that. Also, they're made be Drew Estate, the same company that makes Acids, and if you read through the various threads here, you'll see that Acids are pretty much considered garbage, and i tend to agree. 601s or My Fathers are pretty damn good. If you plan on smoking a lot, invest in a good humidor, and make friends with Frigid and Echo. They know their shit better than most.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 6:10:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Good luck.
My .02cents stay away from the flavored stuff. Im telling you it will ruin your taste for a true tasty cigar.

I have taken this to heart for spirits and cigars.
If it requires a flavor then it aint good to begin with.

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#9]
stay basic and mass produced and mild. Go with a Macanudo or a Punch. No dark (maduro) wrappers. A good way to scare yourself is to smoke something too strong first.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I would say start with 2 boxes of natural Macanudo's.
The larger & longer the better.

The larger size keeps the smoke cooler, and smokng
a box of the same same brand/box will get you plumbed
to how cigars vary even from the same box. If you
buy a mixed bag of individual cigars, you will have
no reference point of what any should taste &
smoke like.

Also, light them with a torch lighter without drawing
on them. Get it lit fully on the end before you
draw. You can do so with a match, or a Bic,
it just takes longer. If you heat them up while
lighting them, they may never cool down. A hot
cigar can produce a very caustic tasting smoke.
Once lit, draw slow & steady, and let it rest 30
seconds or so between draws. If it gets bitter,
sometimes you can cool it down by blowing through
it a few times and letting rest for a few minutes..

I eventually learned that contrary to my early
thoughts, dark Maduros are smoother than
naturals or cameroons. The maduro tobacco
has been aged before it was made into a cigar,
so I suppose it's partially decomposed before
hand. It may have just been how my preferences
developed, but I won't smoke anything other than
Maduros.

My everyday cigar was Partagas Black Label
Magnifico's,and Rocky Patel Edge Maduros.

Get a decent humidor & humidifier and put
a box of what you pick in there & leave it
there for 3 months. Buy a second box and start
working on those. After 3 months start smoking
the ones from the humidor and then put your left
overs from your first box in the humidor, but
bundle them so you can leave them for 3
months before you smoke them. The humidor
will make an OK cigar a good cigar & and a
good cigar a fantastic cigar. By smoking the
box not in the humidor, it will teach you the
basics of how to light & smoke them. By the
time you get past the 3 month mark, you will
be ready & appreciate what the humidor did
for your other box. Then the real joy & nuances
of a good cigar will be apparent to you.

Nothing scientific. It's just what I learned
through my years of looking for my
perfect cigar.

YMMV

John
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#12]
go to your local tobacco shop and ask for a baccarat, has a sweetened tip so that will appeal to you but otherwise i would never smoke one of those again
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#13]
If you think vaping and smoking cigars are the same thing you're going to be in for a big surprise. Smoke it slow, DO NOT inhale and smoke on a full stomach. Even though vaping delivers a nicotine throat hit it you can't even start to compare that to the nicotine absorption from a strong cigar like a man o war.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top