Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2011 10:11:16 PM EDT
Gents,

I'm fairly new to the cigar game, started off with purchasing medium to full bodied samplers, found some great sticks and some serious turds *couchcough five-vegas coughcough*. I've found that I am a huge fan of the Man-O-War Ruination and Puro Authentuco and the Cuba Libre line. Now...

I had a Punisher today that had been resting since early August. Toasted her, lit her up, and the first thing that I felt was that my damn lips were on fire. I'm a pasty scotch-irish boy, but I can usually hang with some heat, and this was ridiculous, going beyond just hot and bordering on painful. Looked it up after thinking it was just me, but I had no idea that the wrapper was infused with Chili! Has anybody had any experience with these sticks? This was the only one I had, it came in a sampler, and I was honestly unable to tell how the smoke was because I was so damn distracted by the heat.

Opinions, experience, comments? Worth another shot, or just write it off and move along? Any recommendations on smokes to seak out, given my attraction to the Ruination and Puro?

Thanks for the input!

LABlackRifle
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 4:14:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Dipped in tobasco and then rolled in cayenne powder for sure.

Very spicy cigar that an unnamed brother of the leaf sent me.
I like spice in a cigar and live heat in foods but I have to agree, it was one powerful smoke.

The flavor changed on me twice while smoking and the initial heat tamed as I went along as I recall.
But, my lips still burned for a bit afterwards.

And, I have three more in the humi for another adventure.

Welcome to The Humidor.....the place where a member and his money is soon departed.

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the welcome Echo, I've been haunting here for a while trying to learn from you experts. Still getting aclimated, have very few sticks resting compared to most of you as the cigar budget at the moment is very limited, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. It is a tad overwhelming, this Punisher experience is a case in point. Tried it, didn't have a positive exp, moving along. Like I said, I've zeroed in on the MOW and Cuba Libre lines and have really enjoyed the Diesels. Any suggested direction for the future? I'm on the job out here in CA and have found this to be a hell of a way to unwind with the co-workers when possible, and I've found that everybody's taste swings widely.

Thanks for the input!

LABlackRifle
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to be in a certain mood to enjoy one.

The mood is called nutz.

I like spice & strong cigars but damn if the one I had didn't work me over.
Got two left out of the 5 pack for when I feel adventurous again.

Just keep an eye on the whatcha got lit up now thread for some good ideas.

Welcome to the humidor.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the welcome Echo, I've been haunting here for a while trying to learn from you experts. Still getting aclimated, have very few sticks resting compared to most of you as the cigar budget at the moment is very limited, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. It is a tad overwhelming, this Punisher experience is a case in point. Tried it, didn't have a positive exp, moving along. Like I said, I've zeroed in on the MOW and Cuba Libre lines and have really enjoyed the Diesels. Any suggested direction for the future? I'm on the job out here in CA and have found this to be a hell of a way to unwind with the co-workers when possible, and I've found that everybody's taste swings widely.

Thanks for the input!

LABlackRifle

Starting out is diffewrent for everyone.....

AF Short Story, Masterpiece and Work of Art are always good to go.
Grab some Benchmades (by Ashton) for a great lesser cost smoke.
And if feeling adventurous, Grab a San Crystobal XXL.....YUM!!!!
My Fathers are good....
Many others but give those few a go.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a box of 13. The first 2 lit me up but they've mellowed nicely. In full disclosure, I don't like light or medium cigars.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Well then,

Camacho, pretty much all of them except the conneticut & Cameroon.  

Triple maduro should work as well as a limited 11/18.

Also try the regular intenso from cu avanna.  Just let em sit awhile though & smoke outdoors. They are stinky.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive heard good things about eh San Crystobals and the My Fathers, I'll have to try to hunt some down. Thanks for the input guys
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Box of 13 on freefall at C-bid.

Saw them bottom at $69 a minute ago.

Ends Thursday 10th (or while supplies last, I guess)

edit for spelling (munite)
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, stop laughing................ and read this:  After buying a box, and together with what I've accumulated from samplers,

I had to think of something.

3 rounds of carefully placed 3m, scotch 35, UL listed electrical tape (I used white, any color will do) will keep

the lips from blistering and allow a person to enjoy this cigar.

Call me a country hick, or whatever, but it works. I smoked it to within a half inch of the tape with no hint whatsoever of a glue taste.

Yes, I know they make those holder-filter things, and a local smoke shop here has some, but that's just not my style.

Even with the tape, these are some stout mo-fo's; I wouldn't try one on an empty stomach.

OK go ahead and laugh now, but hey, it works..................

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#11]
^ I am glad you were able to preserve your dainty lips.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
^ I am glad you were able to preserve your dainty lips.  

me too, the first two i smoked this morning almost burned 'em off !!!!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 2:37:10 AM EDT
[#14]
LOL!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 4:01:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I've heard they are pretty good for those who like pepper/spice in their cigars, and also love hoy food. I put  habanero sauce in pretty much everything, so it sounds right up my alley, or is at least something I definitely want to try out at least once to see.

that said, as much as I love tobasco and habanero in food, I'm not sure what I'll think of it in a cigar, as I fear I'll not be able to really taste all the various tobacco flavors I love so much (many report the spice/heat overpowering all else. Hopefully they are just spicy lightweights), so it's something I'll definitely have to buy as a single first to try out, and go from there.

I really do hope it has both the hot spice I love, as well as some of the great cigar flavors I enjoy, as it would be a perfect combo for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've heard they are pretty good for those who like pepper/spice in their cigars, and also love hoy food. I put  habanero sauce in pretty much everything, so it sounds right up my alley, or is at least something I definitely want to try out at least once to see.

that said, as much as I love tobasco and habanero in food, I'm not sure what I'll think of it in a cigar, as I fear I'll not be able to really taste all the various tobacco flavors I love so much (many report the spice/heat overpowering all else. Hopefully they are just spicy lightweights), so it's something I'll definitely have to buy as a single first to try out, and go from there.

I really do hope it has both the hot spice I love, as well as some of the great cigar flavors I enjoy, as it would be a perfect combo for me.

You will not be disappointed!!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:26:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the input!

LABlackRifle

Starting out is diffewrent for everyone.....

AF Short Story, Masterpiece and Work of Art are always good to go.
Grab some Benchmades (by Ashton) for a great lesser cost smoke.

And if feeling adventurous, Grab a San Crystobal XXL.....YUM!!!!
My Fathers are good....
Many others but give those few a go.

as for recomendations, i'll agree with the AF Short Story, Masterpiece and Work of Art, and My Fathers (have not personally tried the others mentioned).
Also love and recommend the La Herencia Cubana Core Toros, La Gloria Cubana Glorias En Cedro, Ashton Heritage Puro Sol Robusto, CAO America Potomac, Don Pepin Garcia My Father No. 2, Partagas Cifuentes Diciembre, Zino Platinum Z-Class 550R, Rocky Patel Edge Toro Maduro, Oliva Serie V Ligero Especial Double Robusto, Carlos Torano Exodus Silver Robusto, CAO Criollo Mancha, Arturo Fuente sun grown Cuban Belicoso, just to give you a decent list to go on, of some of my personal favorites (and based on being a member of several dedicated cigar forums, most also seem to get good reviews, and are fairly popular with others).

Some listed are pricier ($8-$12), while others are more in the $4-$5 range (many can be found several $$ cheaper on sale or at auction as well)

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Beautiful, thanks Jrfoxx. With X-Mas coming the budget's a little thin, but I may try to save a few bucks for a holiday treat.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, much appreciated.

LABlackRifle
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Not a Punisher, but I've taped up a cigar or two.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
WHAT THE SHIT IS GOING ON HERE?!?

Cigar taping contest..........you want in???  :)

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 1:55:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 3:58:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
WHAT THE SHIT IS GOING ON HERE?!?

Cigar taping contest..........you want in???  :)

Dear God, not with these.  I'd rather be in EchoAngel's backpack when the UPS guy drops off this week's delivery.

Oh no you wouldn't.
He hates me right about now.
I have been on a EE spree and most boxes have been near max weight.
Either that or oblong/oversized.....

And Slavac, we all know you started this....we all know this is the way you do it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Cigar holders next?  

linkage for the pussy lips that cannot handle some spices.

this thread rates
out of
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Oh that is too good!!!!

Rock on!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Your cigar holder is butt ugly, i would not have shown it to everyone.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Enjoying one right now, no tape. It hurts so good.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Enjoying one right now, no tape. It hurts so good.

you da man !!!

(kidding aside; I like 'em too)

eta: like to give them to unsuspecting friends to see the look on thier face after a few minutes.

Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#30]
These really intrigue me. Don't think my B&M carries them. I'm gonna have to order a couple or something.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
These really intrigue me. Don't think my B&M carries them. I'm gonna have to order a couple or something.

All else fails....ask nicely.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:51:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Just finished my first one, (thanks to fellow member Tarkington's generosity), and I'll admit, the 1st 1/2-1" had me a bit nervous, as it got my lips and tip of my tongue burning pretty good. even got a little brow sweat going. Much to my joy and surprise though, not only did it mellow a bit after 1", the spice really did not overwhelm the tobacco flavor. Not something I'd smoke daily, and not the best cigar I've had, but it was a really great and unique change, that I truly enjoyed, and hat I don plan to get a box to smoke on occasion in the future.

For the price, it is a pretty good cigar, and the spice is soething so original and different,  that I really did enjoy it. Definitely can see how those less accoustomed to serious heat/spice could find it too much though, especially if they dont know to sticl it out past the first 1" if possible, where it mellows a fair bit and you can not only taste the tobacco, but the burning subsides enought that you can focus on the cigar as a whole versus just being stuck on the burning lips.

Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:55:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Before you buy any, especially if your local B&M doesn't have them, give me a week or so, and I will gladly send you one or 2 to try out. (several of the members here have been very nice, and very generous to me, so I would like to pass on the Humidor love they have shown me.)

Link Posted: 12/13/2011 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks. Really a bunch of great guys here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top