Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2010 11:49:42 PM EDT
I'm just gonna take a little space here and write some of the stuff I scratch about in my cigar journal.
If you want to review a cigar, please do so.  
Even if it's one that's already been reviewed, new views on the same subject are still new views.
I'll start this off with today and the smoke I had at my favorite tobacconist/ cigar bar.
I bought a few Camacho Triple Maduros and finally settled on the 11/18 as my favorite of that particular line.  Had one today and this is what I thought:
Camacho Triple Maduro 11/18
Strong and spicy start, quickly overwhelmed me.  Beefy and earthy with no distinguishable tastes right off the bat, but I did get a swift kick in the face.  The 1st 3rd made me light-headed and there are some slight walnut flavors starting to show off the maduro.
I let it rest for a while and it went out.  I can't fault the cigar, I had a really good conversation going and neglected it for a good ten minutes at least.  Not a great start, but it's not the cigars fault.
The first ash was about a half-inch long and had to come off for the re-light.  Blew all the stale smoke out and it came right back, no change in taste.  The draw is right down the middle and a little cool, probably from being re-lit.

The 2nd 3rd is giving a little more heavy on the cooked walnut flavor with a hint of some pork chop flavors.  The retro gives a delightful toasted bread taste across the roof of the mouth.  Then the damn thing goes out again after resting for about three or four minutes.  
Blew it out and re-lit it and the taste didn't change, just like the last time.  With a strong cigar like this one I am not surprised, it can hide a lot with the overpowering taste.  
The draw is still very cool, especially at the largest diameter of the stick, which is expected as it needs to keep more area lit.  Slight puffs are still giving off quite a cloud of dark grey, almost blackish smoke.  I'm sitting reclined and the smoke is so cool that it just hovers, even falls quite a lot.  The burn is actually kinda pissing me off.
The filler is burning a lot hotter than the wrapper and another re-light finds me asking for a better lighter.  I just re-lit the foot at the edges near the wrapper and it actually starts to behave.  The ash I keep at about 1/4" - 1/2" to help the burn along a bit.
The last quarter is all maduro baby.  Piquant behind the teeth and still carrying that meaty, cooked walnut flavor from the beginning, this monster is really starting to shine.  The finish is wheaty and nutty and lays across the tongue, typical of strong cigars for me.  My taste buds are out-numbered and totally overwhelmed.  I had to put it down at just over an inch left.
Half-an-hour later and I still have the taste of portobello mushrooms lining my cheeks.
I'd put this thing together with a big breakfast of eggs, sirloin tips, buttered croissants and maybe some fresh fruit.  Probably some apples and gouda cheese.  
If I had to pair a drink with it, I'd have a favorite amber beer along for the ride, obviously not with breakfast.
The cigar wasn't moist, so I don't know why it wasn't staying lit.  I'll simply have to pay attention to it more the next one I smoke.
This is not a search for truth, it's just my experience with this cigar.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Ashton VSG Wizard

This thing is a kitchen spice rack.  

Not too strong, but very noticeable beginning scents of allspice and raw cinnamon on the light.

1st 3rd gave a great light and a nice even burn.  That's probably gonna change as there are two medium-sized veins running down the length of the stick on opposite sides.  They start about a third of the way from the foot, so I don't have to deal with them right now.

The draw is a little off-center, but easy and warm.  There are some amazing raisin and dried date flavors coming out with the coffee I'm drinking.  The retro teases a little bit with some light cocoa flavors on the back of the palate and the back of my nose.

I'm in heaven.

The 2nd 3rd is phenomenal.  Moderate tastes and scents of gingerbread [with some almost imperceivable pepper] that is assisted a bit by a few tugs on my coffee.  The retro still has that rich baker's cocoa taste at the back of my nose, only it's lingering a bit longer now, probably also helped along by the coffee.

A little bit of a downer when the veins start screwing with my burn.  I was really in a groove and now I am interrupted.

After a while, it's burning so lop-sided that it nearly suffocates itself.  I correct it with a few flicks from the lighter twice in a ten minute time frame.  It's also burning slightly hotter now and that brings the effect of the veins into focus.

The final quarter begins with a definite absence of the common strong pepper tastes found usually with the end of a cigar.  

Good news, the burn is completely corrected and simple, light puffs are enough to fill my mouth with some good amounts of gingery, almost tannic smoke.

In contrast, the retro is slightly woody now.  It still holds some of that baking chocolate taste, only a little more dryly now.

The last inch is a hearty and earthy oatmeal flavor carried by a somewhat hot draw.  

I left it at an inch remaining.

The drive home from the lake finds me with a taste of oatmeal and roasted sunflower seeds.

A light breakfast of smoked gouda cheese and some cubed fresh (home-made) white bread beforehand complemented this cigar well enough.

I'd like another one of these with some campfire-toasted bagels with creamed cheese and fresh chives or green onions, maybe some lox.  A good African coffee followed this very well and should again.

This would pair well with a Riesling wine and some summer sausage or even a medium-well venison or elk steak.
Easily my new favorite cigar.  I'd like to buy at least a box of these and see how they develop.  

At a range of $450 - almost $500 a box, I can't afford more than one.
The best part of this morning was listening to my son giggling furiously as he threw rocks in the lake.

Try to have a great day today.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Brickhouse Toro Natural

It starts with a taste kinda like almost-burnt oatmeal cookies, no shit.  Oatmeal cookies.

Add some caramel right down the center of your tongue with a wide and warm draft right down the middle of the stick, kinda like a straw... but not as loose.
Very even burn, had a small air pocket at the start (on two sticks I smoked, maybe the same roller?) didn't change the burn or the draw.  No more caramel, my tongue has adapted to the heat of the draw.  Damn.
The retro has a quickly rising graham cracker smell and taste to it with a bit of dried fruit (like peaches or apricots) and a touch of nutmeg on the tip of the tongue.  There's a sharp cheddar twinge on the middle of the palate that lasts only a second and actually has me looking for it again, but it only hung out with me for about three puffs.
The 2nd 3rd turns the draw loose, dry and cool, the burn is still very even and only gives up a little bit of smoke with some fairly good puffs.  The watered-down Jack Daniels (forgive me Dan, for I have sinned) reveals some very nice cool vegetable tones that I have a hard time putting my finger on describing, save for they are soft and a little leathery.

The 1-inch ash isn't hindering the burn, but the draw needs a little "oomph" to get some decent amounts of light grey smoke.  You're probably not going to blow rings with it.  Still, it leaves a neat little stack of dimes that looks handsome in the ash tray.
The graham cracker taste is back and it's pissed off.  It reappears as a woody and cedary version of itself and they kick some serious vegetable-toned ass...  When I draw the smoke through the bottom of my mouth there is a merlot wine taste that lasts as long as the draw does.
Sweeter earthy under-tones start up during the last of the 2nd 3rd. If I had to describe it, it would be a toasted pecan flavor with some buttered bread textures.
Final quarter finds me with some verry nutty flavors with a hint of some slightly burnt coffee.  Add a finish of apple pie crust and this fucker is shining on the home stretch.  I take a puff near the final inch and hear a dreaded crinkling sound, wrapper.
Goddamn it.  It was doing so well too.  Anyhow, this didn't happen with my other stick last night, so I probably damaged this one.
I leave it at around an inch and I feel great.  

About twenty minutes later and my mouth tastes as if I've been eating s'mores around a campfire.
I dig this little guy, at just over $4 a smoke he's a cheap drinker.  With the light, draw, burn and taste he's easy to entertain.  Kinda like a hunting buddy I haven't seen in years that wants to go hiking with me.
I had one of these with a watered Jack Daniels last night and with water tonight.  I liked the taste better with Jack Daniels but it smells better with water.
This would go very well after a regular-sized meal finished with a mildly spiced cake like pumpkin bread or banana bread.

I can't wait to try it with coffee.
I ate motza ball soup for dinner last night with some yeasty dinner rolls and tonight I had a wild rice and mushroom-stuffed peppers

My stomach wasn't upset in the least and I got a slightly hazy nicotine kick.
Like always, this isn't a search for truth, it's just a cigar.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Brickhouse Toro Natural

My local B&M shop has just got the Brickhouse line in. Now I've got to sample a few.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Brickhouse Toro Natural

My local B&M shop has just got the Brickhouse line in. Now I've got to sample a few.

I grabbed one a while back and loved it. Picked up 3 more next time I was at my B&M and they were all terrible. Hope you have a better time with them than me.

buk
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 1:41:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ashton VSG Wizard
Easily my new favorite cigar.  I'd like to buy at least a box of these and see how they develop.  
At a range of $450 - almost $500 a box, I can't afford more than one.

I like the Sorceror (seriously...as names go...Sorceror > Wizard)

Cbid has VSG Sorceror for $7 each...quantity 10 available.  It's not quite a box, but you can get 10 great cigars shipped for well under $100...keep your eyes open and they will get Wizards selling on there for less than $10 a stick, and occasionally a box comes up that sells for around $200.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one of the Brick House Toros the other day.  Your review is spot on.  I really enjoyed it.

I'm going to have to check out the Camacho T Maddy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The reviews are almost as enjoyable as a great stick.  Thanks, and keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks fellas.

Camacho Corojo 07/05.

Toasted and lit, it began with a toasted bread and roasted peanut flavor.

1st 3rd.  The draw is loose with a slightly flaky ash, it's slightly uneven and a slightly wavy burn.

It smells like a cross of roasted peanuts with a very (very) light nutmeg scent.

Jack Daniels over ice brings out some serious cola tastes.  I dig it.

1st ash drops off neatly and the draw gets a bit warmer and a tiny bit sweeter.

There is a marvelous dry cocoa flavor being pulled down the length of the palate from front to rear.

The draw is warm-to-cool and has tightened up a little since it's diffused beginning.  It's almost perfect here.

The nutty flavors aren't hidden or underlying, they're stark, but not coarse or overpowering.  It's very consistent in taste, but not in strength.

The burn has corrected the waviness it ha and the ash is built as a 3/4" tower on the end of the cigar.

It's not plugging anything up and it keeps things nice and warm in the wind.  It looks good and I decide to leave it alone.

The amount of smoke produced is strange, there's very little being made in comparison to the draw and ash.

I need two or three drags on it to fill my mouth with a goodly amount of very light-shaded (and very nutty) smoke.

2nd 3rd.  The burn has become uneven again, only more pronounced.  Cleaned up with a lighter and the ash is becoming a tad flaky, shedding smaller bits after one not-so-solid stack in the tray.  The filler is showing a faster burn than the wrapper, not copacetic but still well within my limits for a decent smoke.  I'm just picking up as much as I can of that warm Honduran peanut taste.

On that, the beginning of the middle is very nutty.  It's a very strong roasted peanut taste with a piquant, almost burnt coffee taste at the middle of the tongue.  I love how the Jack Daniels brings out cola in this, it's a barefaced taste, you can't miss it.

The next change is near the final 1/4.  At any rate, that lovely peanut taste is GONE.  Adios.

The replacement is like fresh-shucked pecans.  It adds a little with some coffee tones, burnt or bitter coffee but not quite espresso.  

I think it's too hot, I might have sped things up with the lighter too much in correcting the burn.

The draw is fine though.  Weird.  It's not cool anymore, but it doesn't taste or feel hot.  

There is a light wisp of smoke from the head and foot now when it rests.

The smoke has also changed in volume and density, it's easily enough to fill my mouth with a single puff.  The smoke carries so much burnt coffee and pecans in it that it's chewy.

I take this guy all the way down to just under an inch and I got a pretty good kick when I stood up.  Nothing really upsetting on a nearly empty stomach either.

This dude would love to hang out after some butter pecan ice cream or maybe a banana.  For a pair, I'd stick with a simple bourbon with some ice.
This cigar still tastes like a cigar, but it has a lot of very easily
recognized nutty flavors in it.  It has a lot of discernible tastes that a beginner would love and very easily notice.

The draw and temperature vary a little, but figurados are weird like that.  I think it's the diameter changing in relation to the length of the cigar.

Anyways, taking the burn and draw problems... this guy still gets the job done with a touch of panache.

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Punch Champion (double maduro)

On a recommendation I tried these and I ended up liking them well-enough to buy two boxes.  

On the light it gives a strong bitter walnuts with some caramel down the front half of the tongue.

It has a lot of heady, but not chewy, great-smelling grey walnut smoke.  The light started even and immediately started burning unevenly, the ash stacks up nicely though.

The draw is warm, typical with shorter cigars and there is a lot of nutmeg on the retro.  It's also a little loose for my liking.

At the beginning of the 1st 3rd there is a semi-sweet chocolate taste on the roof of the rear of my mouth.

When I got to the largest diameter of the cigar I remembered to take lighter pulls because of the heat and strength usually found in that change in area.

Good call on that one.  It got a little stronger, we'll get to that in a second.

Speaking of diameter, the burn has gone from uneven to full-on lopsided.  It's even, but very lopsided.  I corrected it once already and being such a short stick, it should have stayed.  It didn't.  

The ash is still completely intact and starting to slow things down.  It was staying put through some pretty wild waving and rough-handling while I played with my son.  Still, I gotta let it go.

After the ash goes, it gets a tad meaty.

Coming off the largest diameter of the cigar at the 2nd 3rd and there's no more semi-sweet/ bittersweet chocolate or caramel tastes.

You definitely know you're smoking a maduro now.  It's earthy and meaty and there's a slight leathery feeling/taste behind the teeth, the retro and some smoke in the nose give an impression of toasted coconut now.

Final 1/4.  It's really putting out some volumes of smoke now, so even lighter puffs are called for, otherwise I'm totally overrun.

After another ash, the taste gets meaty and beefy again.  Pattern?

There's a good charred oak taste that being strongly imparted now and it slowly replaces all other tastes.  No subtle flavors anywhere, just burnt oak with an earthy ginger finish.

The smoke has a pleasant chocolate-like smell, but no corresponding taste.  

This little bastard packs a lot of smoke which is nice if you blow a lot of smoke rings.  However, the taste isn't very complicated after the first half, it's simply a lot of maduro smoke at that point.  I left it with an inch left.

This would absolutely not pair well with coffees or wines.  At all.

It would go well with a light amber beer, but nothing too complex or sweet.  I would have this cigar again after a beefy stroganoff or maybe a fried-chicken dinner.  I smoked this one after three grilled hot dogs with all the fixings and some iced tea.

It's a good one for fucking off with, where you just want a smoke.  It's not for special occasions though, it's way too simple for that.
These are getting passed out to my friends when my second son gets here.  

Me? I'm having a T-52.

Link Posted: 10/31/2010 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had one of the Brick House Toros the other day.  Your review is spot on.  I really enjoyed it.

Had a seriously fubar'd day yesterday at work. Went out on the back corner of the parking lot and parked under a tree for a cigar break. The Brick House was great for this break.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a seriously fubar'd day yesterday at work. Went out on the back corner of the parking lot and parked under a tree for a cigar break. The Brick House was great for this break.

It seems like I'm the only detractor from the Brickhouse love.  I've had 2, both churchills from different boxes and both of them exploded spectacularly from both ends of the cigar.

I have no love for the Churchill either!
Try the Robusto (my favorite of the two) or the Toro....they are totally different than the Churchill or the Corona...never had the Mighty so I have no comment on that one....
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It seems like I'm the only detractor from the Brickhouse love.  I've had 2, both churchills from different boxes and both of them exploded spectacularly from both ends of the cigar.

The toro I reviewed actually had wrapper crack during the final 3rd.  

It didn't explode and it didn't affect the draw but it was noticeable.

If I had one complaint about the Brickhouse sticks I've smoked (about three samplers at this point) it would be the construction, especially on the churchills.

I think the wrapper was pulled too tightly when made, the draw is centered like a straw on the churchills which leads me to believe the outer layer of wrapper is too dense.  It does some wonders for the draw, but the burn is always deeply cratered into the stick, as if the center of the filler is burning much faster than outer layers near the wrapper.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#18]
For me the Churchills were bitter...tried four of them to be fair.
The Toro had a sweetness to it I really liked but not strong like one of them damn candy cigars....Drew Estate...
Subtle and light but damn good especially for the price.
Not going to give up my AFs for it but a nice anytime stick.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#19]
You sir have a talent for writing cigar reviews. They make me want to get up and run out to my local B&M. Consider this a tag and keep it up!

Link Posted: 11/5/2010 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#20]
CAO L'anniversaire Cameroon (boxpress)
Construction ain't pretty, there are mediums-sized veins on two sides, loose wrapper edges and three distinct soft spots.

The cap looks great, especially for a box-pressed cigar.  Unlit it smells pleasantly grassy.
1st 3rd.  Lights up great after a toast, immediately gives a lot of medium-grey smoke with easy puffs.  Smells like baker's chocolate with some contrasting lighter chestnut flavors.  I'm blowing some pretty good rings with this little guy already.
The retro is very pleasant with some muted spices under a cocoa base.  The aftertaste is like a mild ground green pepper.

The draw is smooth, but lop-sided.  Being a box-press lets me nail down which side it's leaning towards.  I simply determined which side was "up" and aim the cigar to run the smoke over the roof of my mouth.  
2nd 3rd.  The smoke has lightened up some and the taste is a bit floral.  The cocoa and chestnut flavor are vying for attention.  

That loose wrapper edge is taking it's toll now, right below the cap and next to a light-colored vein.  I'm looking into a crystal ball and I see burn problems in my future.

The first ash comes off neatly and has absolutely nothing resembling a stack.

The second half of the 2nd 3rd and chestnut wins.  
I hate being right... burn problems.  They're manageable.
The smoke smells like cocoa still, but it's a little tannic.
Final 1/4.  The burn and the smoke has lightened up a bit more.  The taste has a curious root beer flavor neatly tucked into the end of the draw.  Nearing the end it leaves a bitter taste on the middle of the tongue with a dry cocoa finish.
I decide to end it at just over an inch, it's gotten a tad one-dimensional and it's burning hot.
I'd pair this little fella with an Old Fashioned for the lighter floral notes or maybe even a microbrew ginger ale.  The construction might be a fluke with my stick, actually I'd go ahead and say that.  No way a cigar company like CAO would produce an entire line with such shitty workmanship.
This isn't a search for truth, it's just a cigar.

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#21]

I would love to know more about your actual journal.  Do you have a thread about it by itself?

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry to disappoint, but I try to keep personal stuff away from the internet.

I'll be catching up with my reviews the next few days as well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sorry to disappoint, but I try to keep personal stuff away from the internet.

I'll be catching up with my reviews the next few days as well.

Understood!  I didn't know if it was made by a manufacture, or just something that you put together yourself.

I have been wanting to put together my own personal journal, but haven't.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#25]
La Gloria Cubana Serie R (I think it was a 60-ring, whatever that one is)
Beautiful construction, stiff, but slightly pliable wrapper, oily enough to feel but not see.  No soft spots on the chocolate bar stick.  The foot is cut slightly roughly and shows mostly dark filler with some that is distinctively lighter.  The head feels kinda wooden when cut, but comes off smoothly.
When it's lit, this thing turns into a smoke dispenser.  
Right off the bat there's a whiff of dark coffee/ espresso when even small puffs are taken.  Whitish-grey smoke making easy rings with even the tiniest pull.  The retro smells toasty and tastes a little3 buttery actually.
There's actually a little bit of a vegetable taste coming through after the fresh-toast taste.  The draw is nice and warm and leaves a roasted, hoppy aftertaste behind your teeth.
The ash is slightly wavy and solid and taps off easily in whole 3/4-inch pieces, regularly I would find.  
The second half has cooled off a little bit.  The vegetable taste is still there, only a little more smoky now and somewhat milder.  It's also accompanied by a slightly raw coffee bean flavor at the finish of each puff.
I warmed it back up a tad and it opened right back up to reveal some vanilla and the tiniest touch of cola.  Diggin' it.
It stayed the same all the way past the last fourth, I was having such a great time with it I took it all the way back to the last half-an-inch.
I was surprised by such a dark cigar as having none of the typical pepper tones that usually ride along, in a good way.  It left a lot of room for other more delicate tastes to work a little.  
I had some slightly iced water with this and it was a good pair.  It would also go well with a small, milder stout beer or a small coffee followed by some water.  I wouldn't go too too strong with what you're drinking or you'll miss the subtleties that this monster has to offer.  
I'd smoke one of these after a heavier meal that carries a lot of either beef or lamb.  I had it about a half-hour ago and I still taste some sweet carrot and vanilla.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Punch Gordo (tubo)

This stout fella accompanied me on a little outing this morning.  Solid construction, good firmness with no wooden feeling or soft spots.  I did have to cut it a little further past the cap than normal to get a good draw.  Drawing unlit, I could tell it was going to be a bit off-center, but it already smelled and I could even taste it a little.  

Fired it up and it gave a warm start despite the absolutely freezing conditions in which I was smoking.  The burn was fairly even and showed no adverse effects from the wind.  This immediately impressed me.

The start is a little meaty with some toffee aftertastes that disappear after the first fives or six puffs.  Boy, it was good while it lasted though.

The first third is a lot of the same milder smoked meat flavors that it started with.  It's not very strong or powerful, but it's not subtle either.  I wouldn't call it a mediocre or average start, it's just... good.

The smoke is a very light, whitish grey that smells like just-burnt walnuts, only without the acridity that goes along with it.  The retro reminds me a little of pecans.

Not a lot of volume either, the temperature might have had something to do with that however.  The wind didn't have any effect, I had moved from a tall ridge-line to a creek-bed at this point and was fairly well sheltered.  I'll see what this cigar's inside voice sounds like later on I suppose, right now he's behaving pretty well.

I started getting some changes about halfway through the second third, an oaky flavor is starting to look around some and I'm wishing I was allowed to bring some bourbon to work.  It's still hanging on to some smoked meat flavors, but that charred oak taste is taking hold more and more.  The retro is amazing, let me try to describe it:

Have you ever had fresh-shucked cracked pecans?  If you have, you'll be able to follow this pretty well.  When you find one that's been a tad too-long over the fire and it's scorched some.  What do you do with it?  Me?  I eat 'em, I figger I worked enough to get that sucker shucked so get to the innards, I'm getting something out of the deal.  

It ain't half-bad when you eat it with a good pecan.

That's exactly what the retro tastes like.  I mean, spot-on.

The charred oak and burnt walnut tastes are rolling together towards the end and it's a very pleasant effect.  The retro is barely hanging in there for a while and then eventually gets balled-up and discarded as the cigar gets shorter and hotter.  I wanted to hang out with this guy a little longer, but work was more important.  Oh well, I wasn't meant to be happy forever.

The best part  of this smoke was watching an early-morning PT formation fall into a frozen creek as I scared the shit out of them in the dark.  I simply thought they smelled me and knew I was there, I suppose not.

Have a great day.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
La Gloria Cubana Serie R (I think it was a 60-ring, whatever that one is)

Beautiful construction, stiff, but slightly pliable wrapper, oily enough to feel but not see.  No soft spots on the chocolate bar stick.  The foot is cut slightly roughly and shows mostly dark filler with some that is distinctively lighter.  The head feels kinda wooden when cut, but comes off smoothly.

When it's lit, this thing turns into a smoke dispenser.  

Right off the bat there's a whiff of dark coffee/ espresso when even small puffs are taken.  Whitish-grey smoke making easy rings with even the tiniest pull.  The retro smells toasty and tastes a little3 buttery actually.

There's actually a little bit of a vegetable taste coming through after the fresh-toast taste.  The draw is nice and warm and leaves a roasted, hoppy aftertaste behind your teeth.
The ash is slightly wavy and solid and taps off easily in whole 3/4-inch pieces, regularly I would find.  
The second half has cooled off a little bit.  The vegetable taste is still there, only a little more smoky now and somewhat milder.  It's also accompanied by a slightly raw coffee bean flavor at the finish of each puff.
I warmed it back up a tad and it opened right back up to reveal some vanilla and the tiniest touch of cola.  Diggin' it.
It stayed the same all the way past the last fourth, I was having such a great time with it I took it all the way back to the last half-an-inch.
I was surprised by such a dark cigar as having none of the typical pepper tones that usually ride along, in a good way.  It left a lot of room for other more delicate tastes to work a little.  
I had some slightly iced water with this and it was a good pair.  It would also go well with a small, milder stout beer or a small coffee followed by some water.  I wouldn't go too too strong with what you're drinking or you'll miss the subtleties that this monster has to offer.  
I'd smoke one of these after a heavier meal that carries a lot of either beef or lamb.  I had it about a half-hour ago and I still taste some sweet carrot and vanilla.
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt51/550cored/SANY0004.jpg

Just picked up some of these and am really looking forward to trying one tonight.

Thanks for the review.
DT
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Tagscribed for a new smoker.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I have one of those....and now, I must try it tonight.
I hope my experience will be as good as yours.
it will be a cold smoke but what the hell....after that write up, I gotta give it a go!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 1:25:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Is it weird that I read all your reviews in Sam Elliot's voice?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:48:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#32]
That Punch write up was great.
I pulled mine and it was spot on!

I tried to follow along and I picked up the same flavors although I may have expected to find them and that helped.
I thought I had a good pallate and picked up flavors but since I was looking for them it was easier but they were right there!

Stay safe!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

if it is then im guilty as well
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if it is then im guilty as well

I've been using Wilford Brimley.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

+1 to the voice... Tagged for future reading, definitely enjoying this reviews. Making me want to go out to Tobacco Republic (local cigar shop) and drop some money for the cigars that have been reviewed that I have not had a chance to partake in.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 3:44:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Man O' War
Hiking around a couple of frozen lakes today with my son, I decided on some additional company and packed this little number along.
One of my better ideas.  They're few and far between, so I kinda remember 'em when they hit me.
The light was tidy, took off like  shot after a quick toast in the cold.  Surprised, mostly 'cause of how windy it was.

The beginning was an even handful of a smoky, cooked cherry and walnut flavor that lasted a good six or seven puffs.  Kinda chewy too, you could probably cut the taste with a steak knife.
Not very much lightish-white smoke from each pull, but there was already some sort of mojo workin' on my tastebuds.
The beginning kept the smoky walnut flavors and then started in with some deeper chestnut tastes.  This would remain for most of the first half or so, but has some visitors like slightly-burnt bread showing up every once in a while.  

The draw is smooth, centered and cool for the half, almost the first two-thirds of the cigar.   I can safely attribute this to environmental conditions.  
The proof in the pudding here is that the smoke started pouring out with each puff after the first half or so.  I mean this thing looked like a house afire.  Each toke on the cigar would release a small mushroom cloud of greyish-white smoke which made me wish for no wind... I wanted to practice some smoke rings to entertain my son.  

Mother Nature reminded me, that shit ain't gonna happen on an exposed ridge, so we moved back into the woodline.
The ash was solid, following a very even burn line and [my haphazard lighting] it corrects very well and rests even better still.  The poor little guy even survived a tumble from the top of a three-year-old's ball cap while dad was busy taking a photo.  
My hat's off to you, Mister-rolls-at-Tabacalera-Fernandez-guy, you're a real American hero.
Alright, so Central American hero.  

The boy was sitting down, so it wasn't that far.  Still, how many cigars have you had that survived a fall with the ash intact?
Man O' War indeed.
I took the first ash off around an inch-and-a-half because the draw was too cool, I was a mite worried it would go out if I rested it.

Anyhow, the biggest transition in the cigar showed after the halfway point with a small allspice taste to the draw and a powdery baker's cococa-come-espresso finish.  

The retro had a good, toasty, almost-peanut butter smell.  The smoke by itself had a rich, slightly raw, cinnamon taste to it that became rooty at the end of the cigar.
Surprisingly, it's not a busy smoke.  All of these tastes and smells seem to mind their place and timing.  For being a tough guy, this cigar's got great table manners.

I shared a small paper bag of home-made sunflower seed bread and some water with my boy.  Good company to the Man O' War.  

We hung out with this fella until he was an inch tall and started to remind me that it was almost supper time.
The end of this all left me with a mealy, cooked wheat flavor in my mouth about an hour later.  No typical leathery sensations at the roof of my mouth or pepper tastes on my tongue.  Very well-behaved.
I'd partner this guy up with some filberts (you know, hazelnuts), maybe
some pumpkin bread or even some mildly-spiced hot apple cider.  If you
don't have any of that, some water did great for me.
I'd steer clear of pairing with coffees or beers unless you don't mind
running over some subtleties.   This cigar might kick me in the
dick for suggesting this, but I'd like to try it with a fortified wine
to see how things sort out.  
Oh well, it just means I have to smoke another one soon...

Heck, getting stuck doing that with a half-bottle of vino just sounds like pure torture to me.

I ain't one to tell folks what to do, but you should try to have a good day.

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#38]
nice review of the MOW, cant beat time in the woods.
as for the MOW I am almost to the point of buying them by the box
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

as for the MOW I am almost to the point of buying them by the box

I'm already there.  Got 4 boxes already.  I love this cigar.
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes, very good review. I smoked one of those a while back and enjoyed it. My dad said it was a little bitter tasting. But I on the other hand, didn't mind it. Haven't bought one since though.. no reason.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#41]
My wife (may blessings be upon her) got me this http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=SP-CIDD128 for Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/28/2010 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top