Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/30/2010 6:22:44 PM EDT
OK so just getting started from an impulse pipe buy.

With the pipe I grabbed some Captain Black Gold

Then picked up some bulk LL-7.  A nice step up from the CBG.

Today I got to stop at some bigger shops.  Picked up some Dansk Passion, a tin of Dan Tobacco: Gordon Pym and decided to blend my own.  I chose some Virginia #1 and some Black Cordial.

Out of today's buys I have only tried my blend.  It was actually pretty good.  Would have been much better with a little drying time before hand, but I was in a rush.

I probably should have gotten a little of each main blending ingredients in as raw form as I can.  I need to create a pallet of the base tobaccos I think.

Having a blast puffing away as I drive around.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]
pics?
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got in some 1776 Tavern  (heavy english) Mmmm.  orderd from Sterling Tobacco
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
placed an order at pipesandcigars.com.   Got (3)  1.5 oz tins of Sutliff Great Outdoors,  9 oz bag of Pipe Mate Cherry tobacco, a Missouri cob pipe, Dr. Grabow pipe, pipe tool, cleaners and  2 more pouches of tobacco (unknown brand, came with pipe deal)   First order for me as well
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Esoterica Penzance. 8 oz.
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I was asleep when this thread was started yesterday.   Order I made came in yesterday Peterson special reserve 2010 and 2009 merry x-mas and happy new year.  Along with some blue note soft bits I have a bad habit of biting down on stems.  Some pouch moisture disc and a free box of matches.
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Two ounces of:
Black Magic
Mocha Mix (both cavadish mixes)

And a nifty little pipe holder that sits on my dsk.
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Black forest cavendish
Mixture 79
esoterica penzance
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 1:33:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Frog Morton on the bayou today
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#9]
From Tinderbox:
"Proper English" 1oz.
"James Madison" 1oz.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Picked up a pouch of Half and Half and some Dr. Grabow's filters in a local tobacco shop today.  Didn't care much for the Half and Half, better than some of the other drugstore cheap brands, but not much.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 12:54:38 AM EDT
[#11]
10oz of Mcmelland Invitational
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully I won't get in too much trouble for bumping an old thread. But...

My last order included (about 2 weeks ago now):

Tins:
Frog Morton On The Bayou
Gl Pease Chelsea Morning, and Westminster

Bulk:
2 oz of Habana Daydream by Cornell and Diehl
2 oz of Billy Budd by Cornell and Diehl
and some Peter Stockebyes luxury bullseye flake.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Probably should keep up since this is my thread...

2oz Perique
2oz Latakia

8oz Esoterica Penzance
8oz Esoterica Stonehaven
2oz G.L. Pease Montgomery
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Won a tin of Dunhill Nightcap on eBay. It was $31, but is hard to find, and was more than double that on 4noggins' consignment site.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Popped in the local shop and picked up another corn cob for Aro's only.  Picked up some house blends...Strawberry Shortcake and Charco.  Both are very light smokes and a nice change.  Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I am going for some Boswells or CAO MoonTrance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Picked up a tin of Bella Vanilla the other day and I need to pick up an Ashton rainy day (gotta have at least two of everything).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Finally tried some Prince Albert the other day; picked up the several-ounce packet at Wal-Mart.

This is actually a pretty good smoke for drugstore fare.  Sweet, burns well, but cool.   Room aroma is something like a cigarette but not as nasty.   If there is a casing, it's pretty darn subtle.   I have some old Half and Half I need to try for comparison purposes.  They are pretty similar from what I remember.

If I were stuck in Knucklefuck, MS with no decent tobacco within several days' ride, I wouldn't feel unarmed with Prince Albert riding shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Finally tried some Prince Albert the other day; picked up the several-ounce packet at Wal-Mart.

This is actually a pretty good smoke for drugstore fare.  Sweet, burns well, but cool.   Room aroma is something like a cigarette but not as nasty.   If there is a casing, it's pretty darn subtle.   I have some old Half and Half I need to try for comparison purposes.  They are pretty similar from what I remember.

If I were stuck in Knucklefuck, MS with no decent tobacco within several days' ride, I wouldn't feel unarmed with Prince Albert riding shotgun.

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#20]
1- Tin of MacBaren Plumcake
2- Tin of Virginia #1
1- Tin Peterson Old Dublin
1- Tin Peterson Sunset Breeze
1- Tin Peterson University Flake
1- Tin Ashton Winding Road
1- Tin Astleys #44
1- Tin Astleys 109
1- Tin SG Celtic Talisman

Im in the "trying them all out" phase
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Picked up a pouch of Captain Blacks white
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#22]
1 x McClelland British Woods
1 x Middle Earth Sampler
1 x Butera's Royal Vintage Blended Flake 50 gram

Wanted to try the Middle earth stuff, but had to make the order worth the shipping.  And the selection at JFM.com wasn't that great at all.  Hopefully it gets here by friday for my weekend in the catskills.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
1 x Middle Earth Sampler

Wanted to try the Middle earth stuff, but had to make the order worth the shipping.  And the selection at JFM.com wasn't that great at all.  Hopefully it gets here by friday for my weekend in the catskills.

Let me know how you liked the ME stuff, I'm interested as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
1 x Middle Earth Sampler

Let me know how you liked the ME stuff, I'm interested as well.

Will do...but unless I like it a lot I doubt I'll be paying the high prices at that site again.  If I do like it however; might be my reason for a Meerschaum Churchwarden purchase.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Two 2oz tins of Esoterica Penzance
Two 8oz containers of Esoterica Stonehaven

Arrived today
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Got the package...well what was LEFT OF IT!  Looks like a 5yr old was working that day.  Would you write them??? I am thinking about it.

These dopes at Just For Him.Com shipped a 50g, 100g and plastic sample bags in an EFFIN envelope and no not a padded one.

I almost want to hope i don't like any of the middle earth samples so this place won't get another dime...this shipping method cost $6.60...you must be joking.

Although the Butera tobacco tin stamp dates it at 2004 if I am reading it right.  Sounds dry as hell when shaking the tin.  We'll see how that goes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Thats piss poor packaging! A baggie is one thing but I cant believe they shipped a tin in that.

Ive ordered twice from cupojoes. Flat rate shipping of $5.xx and all of my orders have come in flat rate boxes stuffed to the gills with newspaper to tighten things up.

This also goes to show you why buying from a reputable shop specializing in tobacco makes much more sense than some website selling "man gifts". They couldnt care less about your tobacco order because its just another "gift" in their eyes. You could complain but I doubt they would care. Id chalk it up to experience and spend your money elsewhere.

By "middle earth samplers" are you referring to the "Frog Morton" trio? If so, many e-tailers carry them. Three of the most highly reccomended sites I keep seeing over and over are cupojoes, pipesandcigars, and 4noggins.

As for my little update. Ive found a favorite tobacco, Va. #1 MMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

By "middle earth samplers" are you referring to the "Frog Morton" trio?

I also like the Va. #1, its a good mixer when playing with blending stuff.

The middle earth tobacco I was referring to is a shop blend; where I placed the order. Its based on the JR Tolken(sp?) books.  Decent reviews on the major tobacco review site.  Thought I would give it a shot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

By "middle earth samplers" are you referring to the "Frog Morton" trio?

I also like the Va. #1, its a good mixer when playing with blending stuff.

The middle earth tobacco I was referring to is a shop blend; where I placed the order. Its based on the JR Tolken(sp?) books.  Decent reviews on the major tobacco review site.  Thought I would give it a shot.

ANNNND?

Get on with the reviews or I'll send the gimp in.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#30]
8 oz Penzance, 16 oz Old Joe Krantz, !6 oz Big and Burley, 12 oz Pennington Gap, 4 oz Blockade Runner,  3 tins Blue Note, 3 tins Gordon Pym, 1 tin Plumcake, all online, and also a pouch each of Carter Hall and Prince Albert from the local tobacco barn outlet while getting my Red Seal. Really digging CH and PA for OTC blends !
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
8 oz Penzance, 16 oz Old Joe Krantz, !6 oz Big and Burley, 12 oz Pennington Gap, 4 oz Blockade Runner,  3 tins Blue Note, 3 tins Gordon Pym, 1 tin Plumcake, all online, and also a pouch each of Carter Hall and Prince Albert from the local tobacco barn outlet while getting my Red Seal. Really digging CH and PA for OTC blends !

One heck of a list there...  Is this your first Gordon Pym? or a resupply?  I am just about done with my first tin and thinking of adding another to my next buy.

Middle earth review so far...Treebeard to me tasted like the best of captain black with a dash of perique.  It was in a car ride so couldn't speak of a room note, but again it reminded me of CB from what I did get.  It was easy to pack, seemed to like a light packing.  Lit up on second or third char and smoked well throughout.  I tend to over puff, and did get a little bite, but bowl didn't get as hot as I usually get them.

I tried a bowl of Shortcut to Mushrooms in the AM.  But to be honest couldn't get anything over the coffee.  It smoked well and was nice and smooth...actually went well with the coffee.  I guess it was the earthy side of it.  But flavor wise, not much to say so far.

OK does the Gimp give me a reprieve for now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#32]
First time for Gordon Pym, lookin forward to it !
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
First time for Gordon Pym, lookin forward to it !

I picked it up at a local shop, his last tin...Its a great heavy smoke...I would watch how thick you nose vent this stuff...I did a big blast and it brought tears to my eyes.  I found packing with the upside down method works well with it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#34]
SLAAAVACCC!

update on the Shortcut to Mushrooms...So I spent today only smoking this.  No others to taint the pallet.

AM pipe: IMHO this is not a morning smoke.  It is plenty smooth and enjoyable as an AM smoke but the pallet doesn't pick much up for me.

After Lunch pipe:  Starting to think this stuff just starts off slow...But was slightly sweet and smooth.  About half way down the bowl I had to tamp and this changed things.  It got a lot more earthy and smokey(Latakia came out), still very smooth.  Towards the bottom I had to relight and I think it got a little cooked, but this brought out a whole new flavor...it got very buttery.  The bowl was getting hot at this point and I gave up.  I did not taste any "mushrooms", but it did seem earthy and for me a myriad of tastes.  I did catch a whiff of mushrooms(or late fall leaves/mustiness) in the drifting air in the truck.  Again it's hard for me to test room note as I don't have a place for that.

So all in all I have to say the Shortcut to Mushrooms does not disappoint after the pallet gets going.  I think I will get more of this and seal it up for aging.

Tomorrow I think it will be the least liked on the review site: Old Toby...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Placed an order at pipesandcigars.com.  Ordered:
-some more 3-in-1 tools
-medico filters for my cob pipes
-Cornell and Diehl "After Hours Flake"
-Frog Morton 4 tin sampler
-Hearth and Home 4 tobacco sampler
-pouch of Prince Albert just because I've never tried it before

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Forgot I ordered 8 ounces of Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Shouldn't be seeing P_Infidel for a while...
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How are you liking the Gordon Pym?
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey , hadn't been on here awhile ! Really like Gordon Pym, so far tied with Squadron Leader as my favorite all around English smoke ! Old Joe Krantz and Pennington Gap from C & D are my all day go to tobacs for now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hey , hadn't been on here awhile ! Really like Gordon Pym, so far tied with Squadron Leader as my favorite all around English smoke ! Old Joe Krantz and Pennington Gap from C & D are my all day go to tobacs for now.

Yeah I'm gonna have to jump on some of that SL next time I get a few bucks for an order.  I'm pretty light on English stuff...at least the nice and smokey stuff.  I've got some Macclelland British woods that I may have to add some Latakia to, so I can get by.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I got 2oz Dunhill Aperitif off eBay.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey Mazeman, finally smoked some of my Penzance. Awesome stuff !! Wife no likey though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Hey Mazeman, finally smoked some of my Penzance. Awesome stuff !! Wife no likey though.

I love mine. I just had a bowl tonite.

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I just realized I have something like 14 pounds of pipe tobacco.  I don't think this thread's for me for the next few years.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#45]
pipesandcigars.com
butternut burley
orlik flake
easy street
evening stroll
sugar barrel
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Called Just for Him today.

Got 8oz of the shortcut to mushrooms.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Hmm, lets see. From last nights order:

Villager 1888 Mid Day 50g
Escudo 50g
Hartwell Evening Stroll 2oz
G.L. Pease Chelsea Morning 2oz
G.L. Pease Barbary Coast 2oz
Orlik Golden Slices 100g
Presbyterian Mixture 50g
Rattaray's Hal O the Wynd 100g

No name briar (cup o joes 29 dollar pipe)
softy bits (im a clencher)

Im still firmly in my "trying everything I can" phase though I do have some favorites already.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Hmm, lets see. From last nights order:

Villager 1888 Mid Day 50g
Escudo 50g
Hartwell Evening Stroll 2oz
G.L. Pease Chelsea Morning 2oz
G.L. Pease Barbary Coast 2oz
Orlik Golden Slices 100g
Presbyterian Mixture 50g
Rattaray's Hal O the Wynd 100g

Some good choices there.   Escudo and Hal o the Wynd are two of my staples.   Evening Stroll is an OK aromatic but I prefer their Signature blend.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Gave Cornell & Diehl for a Sampler...Great lady answered the phone.

Samples of anything they add Deer Tongue to(I think the total was 5)

Also samples of Billy Bud and Havana Daydreams,

And some Irish whiskey flavored something or other(forget the name).  I was looking for some interesting Coffee flavored stuff as I really enjoy McClelland Take 6....So i think she is sending along there Mocha blend as well.

I tell ya she was a very pleasant lady to chat with.

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Just got more C & D baccy myself. 8 oz of Sunday Picnic and 8 oz of Mississippi Mud. Too much stuff open to try either yet though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top