Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone in the industry showed me this trick way back (may have been Christian Eiroa or Rocky).  When cutting a torp to it on an angle.  Cut it first at about a 30degree angle then half way through the cigar cut it again at the reverse angle.  You start the first cut at almost the tip, just make sure that you won't be removing too much of the cigar when you do your second cut.  

Quoted:
The draw issues you mentioned are one of the reasons I don't much care for the torpedo shape.  You either cut it too shallow (tight draw) or too high (wrapper starts falling off).  They also tend to concentrate the tar which you have a harder time getting rid of.

Next time you smoke a cigar, try something for me.  As you're smoking your cigar, every 1/4th or 1/3rd you burn, blow air through the cigar for about 3-4 seconds.  Imagine you're blowing up a balloon.  This forces some of the tar buildup against the ember where it burns up.  This gives you a MUCH cleaner tasting cigar that doesn't stain your lips with tar in the end.

The woozy feeling you got is normal, these things make even me woozy and I'm the guy who put Phurba down for the count w/ a strongish cigar :D

Quoted:
Just had one yesterday after reading your review.

Good cigar, mine was in a torpedo shape.

At first it was a bit gard on the draw and I felt the back of my throat getting dried. I cut up a bit more and the draw just got perfect.

Smoke was nice and thick, good taste also. Before I cut it more it did leave a bitter taste in my lips.

Got a little woozy from this one. I paid 8.50 for it local.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Stupid Noob question: Do you only get the nicotine effects when you inhale? I haven't been inhaling and I felt anything?
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Who wants to send him one????
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had one....felt nothing.  But i didnt inhale.  Do I need to?
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you a cigarette smoker, or regular chewer or dipper?  That might explain why the nicotine didn't whack you upside the head... maybe you've just built a tolerance.

I would not recommend inhaling, although some certainly do.  My understanding is the alkalinity of cigar and pipe tobacco smoke is different than that of cigarettes, and is absorbed quickly through the mucous membranes of the mouth, rather than the lungs as with cigarettes.  Even having smoked cigarettes for a short while many years ago, the couple times I've relapsed I've had no problem inhaling... but man a cigar just chokes me up if I breathe a bit in by accident.  HARSH stuff.  

I for one enjoy using Swedish snuss tobacco when I can't fire up a cigar or pipe, and have built up a bit of a tolerance that way, but stronger cigars and pipe tobaccos can still get me a trifle woozy, especially on an empty stomach.  I can tell if a smoke is a strong one by that good old "lead ball in the stomach" sensation also.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't smoke cigarettes, I dip maybe a dozen times a year.  I do occasionally enjoy Swedish snus also, the extra stong ones

i really dont even smoke that many cigars up until recently or back when i was18
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
stupid newb question here . why dont you inhale ? whats the point of smoking if you dont ? i have always inhaled every thing i have smoked. granted my experience is limited to swishers, black and milds etc. grocery store cigars.
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]
You don't (generally speaking, as some do) inhale cigars because: they're made from different tobacco than cigarettes, generally speaking.  Cigar or pipe smoking is about "enjoying the flavor" rather than inhaling the smoke, but nicotine is absorbed through the inside of the mouth into the bloodstream (like with chewing or dip tobacco).  Strong cigars or pipe tobacco can give you a severe nicotine hit without ever entering the lungs... not without its risks, but MUCH less harmful than inhaling the smoke, if that sort of thing is on your radar.
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You don't (generally speaking, as some do) inhale cigars because: they're made from different tobacco than cigarettes, generally speaking.  Cigar or pipe smoking is about "enjoying the flavor" rather than inhaling the smoke, but nicotine is absorbed through the inside of the mouth into the bloodstream (like with chewing or dip tobacco).  Strong cigars or pipe tobacco can give you a severe nicotine hit without ever entering the lungs... not without its risks, but MUCH less harmful than inhaling the smoke, if that sort of thing is on your radar.

YEPPER!!!!
Good post!

Like others have said....kind of like drinking a milkshake.....you pull it into your mouth but don't inhale or swallow....simply exhale...I like to hold the smoke for a moment or two...really TASTE the flavors in the smoke.

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Just orderd some Benchmades, Was gonna get some Entubars but not in the budget with Christmas almost here. Thanks for the reviews and the links.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 1:10:11 AM EDT
[#13]
i've never done a v cut. Might need to try it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top