Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/13/2010 11:01:46 PM EDT
I'm starting this thread just for fun and hopefully to expose a few people to cigars.  This first post will be the table of contents.

Hope you enjoy!

Link Posted: 6/13/2010 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to bring to your attention, one of the best cigars on the market today: The Cain F.

Wrapper: Nicaragua
Filler: Esteli Ligero, Condega Ligero, Jalapa Ligero
Size: Cain F 660 (6" x 60 ring gauge)
Strength: Full

Straight Ligero : This cigar is made with three types of ligero leaves, which are the top leaves of the tobacco plant.  Ligero leaves also have more nicotine content than any other leaves on the tobacco plant.  The result is a cigar with some serious strength.  

Construction Construction is absolutely flawless.  The wrapper looks slightly oily.  Cigar is supple with no apparent plugs.

^Construction shot along with tonight's setup.  Drink is (a few) Newcastle Brown Ales, book is Polaris by Jack McDevitt and Jayne Cobb is providing overwatch protection.

Cut: Punch cut though this cigar may benefit from a V cut if you like a smoother draw.

Pre-Light Draw Draw is smoothe.  Flavor of tobacco, honey and cedar come through.

^ Light and initial impressions: 1/3 Lit easily with my Xixar soft flame tobacco lighter.  Draw is a bit tight likely due to punch cut, but is acceptable.  Flavors consist mainly of tobacco, slightly sweet notes on the tip of the tongue and soft hints of leather and cedar.  Burn line is a bit erratic.

^ 2/3 Flavors remain constant with the sweet notes fading into the background.  Flavor of cedar and leather remains though both are very subtle.  Burn line has evened out somewhat.  No tarring present.  Lost ash at the 1/2 cigar mark.

^3/3 Flavors remain constant.  Burn line remained somewhat erratic though it never created an issue.  Total time from start to finish (and I'm a fast smoker) was nearly 1.75hrs.  I only needed to ash the cigar twice through the whole smoking experience.  The cigar never tarred up which was shocking and added to the overall score of the cigar.

Total Score with 0 being the worst and 10 the best:  9.2

Final Impressions I would love to have a box or two of these in my humidor.  This cigar is one that you smoke when you want a liesurely smoke that involves quite a bit of nicotine (if you're like me and enjoy the feeling of calm that comes from the combined experience).  I would heartily recommend this cigar to anyone who enjoys cigars.  I was concerned that this cigar would have a very strong flavor, however the flavor was very smooth and in a word, lovely.

Where to buy: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=CS-CAB&stext=cain

Link Posted: 6/13/2010 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the review, looks like one to try!
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Been smoking the regular black band  and love it.   Going to have to get the F.   One of the best reviews I've seen yet.  Especially with Jayne standing guard needs his crazy hat though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Cain F kicks ass!!!!! Been waiting for it to be a Joe's Daily deal.....
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the review.  I will have to try one myself.  I will be adding a +1 to my cigar thread for them since you gave them a 9.2.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Good cigar and good beer too !!!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice. I am going to have to try one of those soon. My local shop has some in stock, so I will have to pick one up next time I go.

and btw, your pics are missing one thing...fingernail clippers.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried one of these the other night and was not impressed.  For the life of me I cannot remember what I didn't like.  I guess I'll have to buy another to refresh my memory.  I really want to try the Maduro wrapper.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Cigar: La Gloria Cubano Artesanos de Tabaqueros
Wrapper: Connecticut Shade and hearty Ecuadoran Sumatra wrapper.
Filler: Dominican and Honduran
Size: 652 Belicoso | Length: 6 | Ring: 52 |
Strength: Mild/Medium turning to Medium at the change

Cut: I think this cigar benefits from a small V cut as it ensures a good draw and allows the smoke's flavor to change as the cigar progresses without running the risk of tarring.

Pre-Light Draw Draw is very clean and even with flavors that surprisngly remind me of a light cavandish pipe tobacco.  Sweetness with a touch of a nutty flavor are present and will remain throughout the cigar.  

^Construction: I've had about 5 of these and each one has been flawless.  No strong veins, no tears and due to the supple nature of the wrapper, the cigar feels a touch soft and pliable.

^Burn remains flawless as do the flavors.  No tarring is present.  At the 'change' where the two different cigars are combined, the flavor changes and does a complete 180.  You're now smoking a medium bodied maduro cigar which in of itself would be a fantastic cigar.  The flavors intensify, with the sweetness falling off, but the experience remains extraordinary.  

^Poster at my local cigar shop.  

Total Score with 0 being the worst and 10 the best:  9.0

Final Impressions: This cigar is around $8.50 which may turn some people off from trying it.  However, if you're looking for a 1.5hour experience with a cigar that is anything but boring, this is one you absolutely should try.

ETA: Apologies for the damn nails, I'd just got done working in the garden
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Great well done review.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#11]
i know im going to both enjoy and learn from this thread and to point me in the direction of good cigars. thank you slavac
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice review.  I am going to add this to the favorites list since you gave it a score of a 9 out of 10
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the review!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:00:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quick and dirty.

Pictured here is the La Riqueza which means, "The Riches."  This cigar comes from Pete Johnson and Don Pepin and these two guys have made a knockout of a cigar.  At first glance, the La Riqueza is rather unassuming, with a rather bland looking wrapper and normal band, however this cigar's strength and flavor levels have been dialed up to eleven.  

La Riqueza's line of cigars are typically very full bodied, with a bucket and a half of nicotine present per cigar.  The flavors however, are that of a medium bodied cigar in that everywhere you'd expect a jagged flavor edge, the edges are very rounded and smoothe.  

In short, go buy one of these and smoke it on a full stomach.  I guarantee you'll find a winner if you like cigars similar to the Cain F.

Overall Rating with 0 being the worst and 10 the best: 9.0

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice review.  I love the La Riqueza.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I spy some cao moontrance in that last review
mixing it up a bit? haha
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Finally!

Someone else who knows the wisdom of the Glencairn

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I spy some cao moontrance in that last review
mixing it up a bit? haha

Hahaha you know it.  They were my friend Laura's.  Last time we had scotch club she smoked one of my CC HdM's, this time CAO flavored :/  How the mighty have fallen.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#19]
You've done it again great review guess I'll be picking some up soon.

PS I see the pipe tobacco,but where's the pipe?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Another quickie review for a fantastic cigar.

Cigar: Berger and Argenti Entubar Double Corona

A little bit about the cigar:
Berger and Argenti is headed up by Michael and Al Argenti, a couple of brothers that have a lot of experience in the cigar industry. Michael used to be an executive at Perdomo and Cuban Imports has worked with Altadis in the past.

This line is made from a blend of Dominican and Nicaraguan fillers, a Nicaraguan binder, and an Ecuador grown Connecticut 'Desflorado' leaf. The Entubar is so named for the method by which it is constructed; that is, the filler tobacco is rolled rather than folded into a bunch. The most intriguing part of the cigar, however, is its foot.

A small segment of rolled (or entubed) tobacco on the Entubar cigar protrudes about 3/8 of an inch from the cigar's foot to accentuate the method.

The quick and dirty taste review:
This cigar came out of the box as a powerhouse.  When you light the stick, you have to do so in a rather interesting method.  The spine of Ligaro tobacco extends past the foot of the cigar in a 'nipple' which you mercilessly burn with your 2500deg lighter.  Once the tobacco is cherry red, proceed to smoke your cigar.  As you smoke, the nipple ember burns into the cigar proper, resulting in a burn so straight it could be considered Mormon.
The flavor reminds me of the smell of fall: a light smell of leaves, crisp finish and wonderful flavors.  The cigar should be considered a full cigar and what's better, took me (a notoriously fast smoker) at least almost 2.5hrs from start to finish.  The cigar's construction is flawless, heavy in the hand with no visible veins.  The nicotine buzz this particular offering gives off is very substantial which makes this a cigar not one to smoke on an empty stomach.
All in all, this $13 stick is well worth the price and should be enjoyed when you have a bit of time to sit down and enjoy this world class cigar.

Hope you enjoyed.  I know I sure did.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice!  I've been wanting to try one of these but nobody near me carries them....I hope one makes it into the pass
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nice!  I've been wanting to try one of these but nobody near me carries them....I hope one makes it into the pass

At $14...we'll see.  Knowing you you'll replace it with two Black N Milds and one Ghurka ancient warrior :P
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My local shop carries them. I'll drop one in with your name on it if you're after me.

IMO, the torpedo and petite corona are the best vitolas in the line.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#24]
A recent subscriber to this thread wrote to me and said:
Brad I really enjoy your reviews...but how about some cigars that are in the working man's price range?

You got it broseph.  

Cigar: Benchmade Churchill.
Pedigree: This cigar is Ashton's 'bundle priced' cigar which is rolled in the Ashton factory by none other than Don Pepin Garcia.  You may know DPG's works from such lines as My Father, DPG Blue, Some Tatujae cigars, San Cristobal, 5 Vegas Miami, and literally dozens of other fantastic cigars.
Price: This cigar was $3.80 before tax at the Hill Cigar Company in St. Louis, MO.  Online you can find these for $55 per box with a little digging.
Construction: http://www.ashtoncigar.com/Benchmade.jsp

Benchmade is a new brand handcrafted in Nicaragua by

Jose "Pepin" Garcia.  These cigars feature gorgeous,

dark-brown Nicaraguan wrappers, a pair of sturdy

Nicaraguan binders and a delicious selection of high-grade
Nicaraguan fillers.  Each cigar is finished with a handsome pigtail
top.  The flavors are medium to full-bodied with a sweet earthy richness
and a spicy complexity.

Benchmade boasts the flavor and construction of a

super-premium cigar, yet the attractive price-tag of a
value bundle.  Available in 5 traditional sizes in elegant cedar boxes,
Benchmade is the new benchmark for the value cigar.

According to the Ashton cigar rep I'm friends with, the cigar is made of medium fillers comprised of 'leftovers' from Don Pepin's My father and Don Pepin Blue cigars.  

Flavor: This cigar tastes very very similar to a My Father and has the same construction feel to it, meaning the cigar is supple and a bit pliable (note the bite marks in the pics, which is pretty normal for this cigar).  In order to light a Benchmade, simply twist off the pigtail end instead of clipping/cutting and light like normal.

Flavors are a touch of spice, especially at 2/3 along with notes of black tea and love.  This cigar is what I would consider a medium body cigar which will appeal to strong and mild cigar smokers alike.  The cigar holds a nice ash which tends to fall off at the 1" mark, and is a very consistent cigar meaning the flavor changes are very subtle.  

Final Thoughts:  This cigar is cheap, rolled by one of the largest cigar manufacturers in the world at the hands of a man who has yet to put out a cigar that doesn't impress me.  At $4 for a long, leisurely and enjoyable smoke, what's not to enjoy?

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Sweet review as always...my local shop does not have them yet but she tells me they are on the way...
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd like to bring to your attention, one of the best cigars on the market today: The Cain F.

Straight Ligero : This cigar is made with three types of ligero leaves, which are the top leaves of the tobacco plant.  Ligero leaves also have more nicotine content than any other leaves on the tobacco plant.  The result is a cigar with some serious strength.  

Construction Construction is absolutely flawless.  The wrapper looks slightly oily.  Cigar is supple with no apparent plugs.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/023-16.jpg
^Construction shot along with tonight's setup.  Drink is (a few) Newcastle Brown Ales, book is Polaris by Jack McDevitt and Jayne Cobb is providing overwatch protection.

Cut: Punch cut though this cigar may benefit from a V cut if you like a smoother draw.

Pre-Light Draw Draw is smoothe.  Flavor of tobacco, honey and cedar come through.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/026-11.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/027-11.jpg
^ Light and initial impressions: 1/3 Lit easily with my Xixar soft flame tobacco lighter.  Draw is a bit tight likely due to punch cut, but is acceptable.  Flavors consist mainly of tobacco, slightly sweet notes on the tip of the tongue and soft hints of leather and cedar.  Burn line is a bit erratic.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/040-8.jpg
^ 2/3 Flavors remain constant with the sweet notes fading into the background.  Flavor of cedar and leather remains though both are very subtle.  Burn line has evened out somewhat.  No tarring present.  Lost ash at the 1/2 cigar mark.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/043-9.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/044-11.jpg
^3/3 Flavors remain constant.  Burn line remained somewhat erratic though it never created an issue.  Total time from start to finish (and I'm a fast smoker) was nearly 1.75hrs.  I only needed to ash the cigar twice through the whole smoking experience.  The cigar never tarred up which was shocking and added to the overall score of the cigar.

Final Impressions I would love to have a box or two of these in my humidor.  This cigar is one that you smoke when you want a liesurely smoke that involves quite a bit of nicotine (if you're like me and enjoy the feeling of calm that comes from the combined experience).  I would heartily recommend this cigar to anyone who enjoys cigars.  I was concerned that this cigar would have a very strong flavor, however the flavor was very smooth and in a word, lovely.

Where to buy: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=CS-CAB&stext=cain

One of my favorites!
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the review.  I smoke DPG stuff almost exclusively because I love so many of his sticks so this will be a must try.  Nice to learn that you might be able to snag some good sticks from your favorite guy for a few bucks a piece without stealing them off of CBID!
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Slavac, do the Benchmades need to rest for a while or are they good after a week in the humi?   A place not far from me (bonitasmokeshop.com) has them fairly cheap, and for some strange reason that cigar band attracts me
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Slavac,

You have any more reviews?
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Did you get these local in STL? If so where?
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Great reviews. I recently picked up a benchmade per echoangel suggestion. Tampa humidor has them in stock in most sizes if people are having a hard time finding them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get these local in STL? If so where?

Hill Cigar Company.  [url=http://www.hillcigarco.com[/url]]

Drop me an email next time you're around and I'll show you around the shop.

Oddly enough I stopped in there Saturday and was quite impressed. I picked up about 10 sticks and two of them were the entubar's. I will be a regular visitor. We lost our favorite shop over here on the east side almost two years ago and we have been looking for one to visit on a regular basis. There is a small group of us that smoke together at least once a month and I think this will be the place to do it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 6:07:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Just had one yesterday after reading your review.

Good cigar, mine was in a torpedo shape.

At first it was a bit gard on the draw and I felt the back of my throat getting dried. I cut up a bit more and the draw just got perfect.

Smoke was nice and thick, good taste also. Before I cut it more it did leave a bitter taste in my lips.

Got a little woozy from this one. I paid 8.50 for it local.

Quoted:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/023-16.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/026-11.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/027-11.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/040-8.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/043-9.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/044-11.jpg

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#38]
having trouble finding the Ashton Benchmades from my usual outlets.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Try here...

source #1
source #2

I have ordered from #2...quick and easy....and right about $20.00 of the box price at my local shop that is now selling them.
As you will notice...the Gordos go VERY quick...I agree with Slavac...they are the best in the line but the Toro is a VERY close second.
I just like the larger gauge smoke...any will work out for you and at less than $3.00 a stick...why not try them all!

Echo
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
having trouble finding the Ashton Benchmades from my usual outlets.

Chico tell me what size you need and email me an address.

WORD....I can toss you a few as well....my boxes seem to be multiplying when I am not looking!
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I did blow back on it, but it was about half way into it.

But it was a good smoke, i will get some more for special occasions.

Quoted:
The draw issues you mentioned are one of the reasons I don't much care for the torpedo shape.  You either cut it too shallow (tight draw) or too high (wrapper starts falling off).  They also tend to concentrate the tar which you have a harder time getting rid of.

Next time you smoke a cigar, try something for me.  As you're smoking your cigar, every 1/4th or 1/3rd you burn, blow air through the cigar for about 3-4 seconds.  Imagine you're blowing up a balloon.  This forces some of the tar buildup against the ember where it burns up.  This gives you a MUCH cleaner tasting cigar that doesn't stain your lips with tar in the end.

The woozy feeling you got is normal, these things make even me woozy and I'm the guy who put Phurba down for the count w/ a strongish cigar :D

Quoted:
Just had one yesterday after reading your review.

Good cigar, mine was in a torpedo shape.

At first it was a bit gard on the draw and I felt the back of my throat getting dried. I cut up a bit more and the draw just got perfect.

Smoke was nice and thick, good taste also. Before I cut it more it did leave a bitter taste in my lips.

Got a little woozy from this one. I paid 8.50 for it local.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Try here...

source #1
source #2

I have ordered from #2...quick and easy....and right about $20.00 of the box price at my local shop that is now selling them.
As you will notice...the Gordos go VERY quick...I agree with Slavac...they are the best in the line but the Toro is a VERY close second.
I just like the larger gauge smoke...any will work out for you and at less than $3.00 a stick...why not try them all!

Echo

You might also try Cigar Place, they have pretty good prices and right now everything is in stock.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:27:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#47]
And the award for nicest cigar holder of the millenium goes to... SLAVAC!!!  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

He is not a girl....and unless that is AE.....you got some splainin to do jung man......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top