Link Posted: 6/12/2012 12:06:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CSFIREARMS] [#2]
DT
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CSFIREARMS:
Originally Posted By Slavac:

Originally Posted By sjuhockey10:
Well, now I just need to find a source for some good boxes.  Both of my local B&Ms charge for boxes

If they were economical to ship I'd send you some of my extras.

Ask around from your cigar smoking buddies, you'll get a few boxes eventually.

Where you at in MN?  I'm north of Hudson in WI.  I might have some for ya.

CSF

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#4]

I'm in St. Paul, get over that way every now and then.  Definitely would appreciate it
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Ask around from your cigar smoking buddies, you'll get a few boxes eventually.

Unfortunately, the few of those that I have never buy boxes
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#6]

I'm in St. Paul, get over that way every now and then.  Definitely would appreciate it

Saint Croix cigar in Hudson has some and I think they are 2 bucks apiece.  I bet if you buy something maybe they will let you take some.

CSF

Link Posted: 6/23/2012 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#7]
So how much variation in humidity should I be seeing while I'm waiting for things to balance out?  I threw my beads and hygro in last Friday, and it's been running high fifties/low sixties since.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]

So how much variation in humidity should I be seeing while I'm waiting for things to balance out?  I threw my beads and hygro in last Friday, and it's been running high fifties/low sixties since.

Give it a week and see if it doesn't settle out.  If it's not settled by then either you need to rehydrate your beads, you overhydrated them, or there's not enough sticks/boxes in the cooler to even things out.

I think if anything I might have underhydrated, since I was probably a little too careful when I wet the beads.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Got her down in the basement now, sitting at 68* and 63% humidity (up from 60% last night).  Heading in the right direction
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Got her down in the basement now, sitting at 68* and 63% humidity (up from 60% last night).  Heading in the right direction

Do you have a few cigar boxes in the cooler or some cedar?

Yeah, I've got three boxes in there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#15]
So I finally got tired of only being able to store 40-50 cigars in my Medium sized SavoyDesktop Humidor. My biggest complaint is actually when I would find a good deal on a box I just didn't have the proper storage. Also didn't like digging to the bottom of the desktop to find a smoke I wanted. I had to pass up on some boxes lately that I really wish I would have purchased but just didn't have the ability to keep them. Also the fact that I have a kegerator on my back porch tends to attract several friends that come over and see me smoking a cigar and must have a cigar I need room to keep some cheapies around for them.

So tonight I went to grab dinner to go. Decided to head to a local sushi place that happens to be two doors down from a cigar bar. Order placed and had 10 minutes to kill, so why not. Only purchased one Liga #9 Robusto but decided I had had enough.

Popped in Wally World on the way home to purchase a cheap, small cooler. Well in true Humidor fashion I purchased this:

120 QT for $54.88.

Now I have some orders coming in this week from the Devil, as well as a box of Lil Monsters, and my desk top is already bursting so I have been collecting boxes for a couple of months from my B&Ms:

I will go ahead and wash out the cooler tonight with soap and water. Over night tonight I will fill the plastic containers with baking soda. Tomorrow morning I will let the cooler sit outside all day in the sweltering Florida heat.
I should be able to repeat this process easily through Wednesday.

I have also placed on order 4 of the cedar shelves from cheap humidor.

It all finally came to a head. You guys are awesome and I truly love popping in several times throughout my day.

I hope to update as the week goes on for the build.

Also I'm curious to see how long the first cooler lasts!
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice! Did you pick up some beads already?  1 pound of 65%rh beads in two socks on opposite ends of the cooler should be just fine.  

I am planning on either purchasing the Kitty Litter or the beads.

I could have sworn the bulk heartfelts were sold out earlier this week, but I see them on the website now.

So one pound should do the trick?  I am planning on making the decision which route to go by this afternoon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I do KL and it works great. $14 for 8lbs. You need more, but it's just as stable.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I was originally in the same line of thought. But I gave the KL a shot. I have used beads and KL and the KL is every bit as stable. My wineador and coolidor are rock solid and I'm running KL in both now. A couple of pounds of heartfelt beads are $62 plus $12 for the 1/2lb mesh sacks and then about $10 in shipping. Thats like $85. For $20 I can go to Petsmart get 8lbs of litter and several media bags and have change left over. It's all silica gel beads. I choose to save the money and spend it on more cigars. If it wasn't stable I would have abandoned it right away. Both my cooler and wineador never fluctuate more than 1 or 2%.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok the afternoon Florida rain has not been kind to me as far as leaving the cooler open in the sun. Got home late and half full of nasty looking rain water.  Good news is I still haven't got anything in yet to finish the build so no rush. I am going to wash out tonight with soap and water and let it sit overnight with baking soda.

My orders came in yesterday and I will post some pictures up later tonight. I had to move some dog rockets out of my desktop to clear room but I don't think it will be much of an issue if they sit out until this weekend or early next week once I get the cooler seasoned.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got the cooler, bleached it out.  Need to order the humidifying beads and socks as well as the gauge.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#23]
So I have completly been slacking on updating my build.

The cooler has sat outside in the sun until this afternoon, so right about one week. Probably more than needed but I got busy at work.

So tonight I purchased some Kitty Litter and Media bags on the way home.

After filling the bags up I used distilled water and a new sponge to apply to the boxes I had picked up.

I also had forgot to salt test my hygros I had picked up on cbid to I started that tonight as well.

I ended up removing some of the salt so I'd say I have 1/8 of a cup of damp salt.

So Wednesday morning I hope to drop the two Hygros in the cooler and see where I am at.

Of course I still have a ton of litter left over and can always add some!
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#24]
The salt test is in.

The oval was reading at 76 and the rectangular right at 75.

Opened up the cooler and placed one on each side.

By the way it smells absolutely amazing inside the cooler with the boxes I placed in there.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this bad boy is going to be holding true somewhere that I can live with!
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RayJaxShooter:
The salt test is in.

The oval was reading at 76 and the rectangular right at 75.

Opened up the cooler and placed one on each side.

By the way it smells absolutely amazing inside the cooler with the boxes I placed in there.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this bad boy is going to be holding true somewhere that I can live with!

Where did you get those media bags from?

CSF

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I got them from Petsmart. .99 a piece.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 4:21:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RayJaxShooter] [#27]
So after around 4 days I'm not quite where I want to be.

Place a Hygrometer on either side of the cooler. Both read 75 deg on the temp.

As to the RH one reads 52 and the other 56.

So I've got to adjust some and break out some distilled water.

I'll report back tomorrow morning.

Edited: Becauase I was having a moment earlier

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 5:25:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tarkington] [#28]
So after around 4 days I'm not quite where I want to be.

Place a Hygrometer on either side of the cooler. Both read 75 deg on the temp.

As to the RH one reads 52 and the other 56.

So I've got to adjust some and break out some distilled water.

I'll report back tomorrow morning.

Edited: Becauase I was having a moment earlier

Definitely keep the beads hygrated. It may take some time to get those boxes humidified if they are that dry.
Did you wipe the inside of the boxes with a damp sponge? (distilled water on a sterile sponge)

eta: As for the temp, find the coolest spot to keep the cooler, a closet or wherever.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes I prepped the boxes with a new sponge and distilled water.

I had not added water to the litter until tonight.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 7:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tarkington] [#30]

Humidity should get up pretty quick, now that you added water.
I was gonna ask if you had the drain capped off... :)

eta: Just me, but I would leave the boxes open inside the cooler, and let
everything stabilize at your desired RH for a bit before loading it with my cigars.

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Tarkington:

Humidity should get up pretty quick, now that you added water.
I was gonna ask if you had the drain capped off... :)

eta: Just me, but I would leave the boxes open inside the cooler, and let
everything stabilize at your desired RH for a bit before loading it with my cigars.

It's been kind of a longer project based on my job getting busy.

I spent the night at my girlfriend's house so won't be able to check it until this afternoon, almost 24 hours after adding the water.

As for adding the cigars, based on current devil bids and some items I plan on picking up at the B&M, I've got til early next week to get this thing settled!

As always thanks for the tips!
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#32]
After about 22 hours currently sitting at 65% on one Hygro and 62% on the other. Still planning on grabbing an Oust fan.

As for the temp inside, with current Florida temps the AC stays at 78 from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm. Once I'm home it is bumped to 72. With the size house I live in its what I can afford. The cooler is in a closet that is likely the cooldest unused space in the house.

Getting closer!
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#34]
The fan is an overkill and really wasted money unless you want your humidor to be a bit fancier.  

Fancy has never been my style...I will roll without and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Super slammed at work but wanted to post an update real quick.

The cooler seems to be holding steady at 66% on the one Hygro.

Came home from work and decided it was time to move some sticks into the cooler.

This was my small desktop humidor when I opened it:

I also had probably close to 20 sticks in the freezer the past couple of days, as well as I picked up 7 more sticks on the way home!

This is how she looks using the boxes I aquired to season with:

First picture is bottom left layer:

Bottom Right:

Top Left:

Top Right:

I am finally placing an order for three cedar trays off cheap humidors tonight (I know I know, I said this last time, but now I gots extra Bday $$$$).

The desktop will be used to house my small Liga, Opus, and other hard to find stash for the time being. Remember this was an anniversary gift from the girlfriend!

Certianly built for the future on this one, plenty of extra room!

Its a modest start but I am more than pleased with my build and the stash.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 12:23:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Think im going to build one this weekend
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Just realized I haven't posted any updates in a while.

Work has been brutal!

I'll try and get some photos up tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#40]
you think a Pelican 2750 would work not sure because of the valve on it
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 6:57:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EchoAngel17] [#41]
Originally Posted By specter_actual:
you think a Pelican 2750 would work not sure because of the valve on it

Yep.
Will work just fine.

I have a link somewhere for foam trays somewhere....
I'll dig it up.

ETA.....

Found it.

http://www.cigarsolutions.com/categories/Foam-Travel-Humidor-Trays/

But it ain't gonna be big enough..... Trust me!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#42]
i have 2 of them and 3 1525s just sitting in the garage
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By specter_actual:
i have 2 of them and 3 1525s just sitting in the garage

Yep....that's a good START!!!

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:12:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo0506] [#44]
Just realized I haven't posted any updates in a while.

Work has been brutal!

I'll try and get some photos up tomorrow night.

I just built the same cooler. Once I got 3 boxes, and 6 trays inside it stabilized quickly.

ETA: I built this about 5 weeks ago. Years ago I smoked often and had a table top. With the help of this thread I went from no smokes to over indulgence! 120 qt Coleman with 1 old tray and 5 new ones from Amazon, 2 pounds of heartfelt beads, have another bead tray I took out for picture. Got lots of Ghurka aging (not good new) a box of Zino No. 3, a few bundles of seconds, Rocky Patel X-Outs, 2 boxes of La Perla habana, some nubs, and some premiums like Surrogates, My Father, LFD, CAO, Tatuaje, god of fire, etc to find out what my next box will be. Most definitely a box of Onyx and LFD Double Ligero, need to pick the third box!

Thanks for the thread, it was a big help!

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 4:16:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: srob7001] [#45]
- 70 qt Coleman.....check
- 6-8 cedar cigar boxes.....check
- 1/2 lb. 65%  heartfelt beads.....check
- mesh bag.....check
- hygrometer.....check

Just waiting on the beads to gt here and off I go. Started with a 75-100 count humidor, that filled up. Then got a 150 count humidor, that's now full, and gave my smaller humidor to my G/F(hers is full too BTW). Now onto the coolerdor. I'm possitive I'll need another cooler in the future but this is what I can fit in my room at the moment. Didn't want my cooler sitting out in the living room for all to see and ask about.

I knew it was a slippery slope, but had no idea how steep it was.

This pic about sums it up.

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By srob7001:
- mesh bag.....check
- hydrometer.....check

Just waiting on the beads to gt here and off I go. Started with a 75-100 count humidor, that filled up. Then got a 150 countt humidor, that's now full, and gave my smaller humidor to my G/F(hers is full too BTW). Now onto the coolerdor. I'm possitive I'll need another cooler in the future but this is what I can fit in my room at the moment. Didn't want my cooler sitting out in the living room for all to see and ask about.

http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/steep-cliff.jpg

Son, round here we call that a speed bump!
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By EchoAngel17:
Originally Posted By srob7001:
- mesh bag.....check
- hydrometer.....check

Just waiting on the beads to gt here and off I go. Started with a 75-100 count humidor, that filled up. Then got a 150 countt humidor, that's now full, and gave my smaller humidor to my G/F(hers is full too BTW). Now onto the coolerdor. I'm possitive I'll need another cooler in the future but this is what I can fit in my room at the moment. Didn't want my cooler sitting out in the living room for all to see and ask about.

http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/steep-cliff.jpg

Son, round here we call that a speed bump!

So true
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:24:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tpiskura] [#48]
I was curious to know what people thought about spacers between the trays.  I have a 28qt Coleman that has 4 trays stacked inside.  Should there be a space between them for air circulation?  Thoughts?  Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By tpiskura:
I was curious to know what people thought about spacers between the trays.  I have a 16qt Coleman that has 4 trays stacked inside.  Should there be a space between them for air circulation?  Thoughts?  Thank you in advance.

Slotted trays???

Nothing needed...I do have blocks at the bottom to keep the last tray up in the air...I used divider blocks from old boxes of cigars.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#50]

They are the slotted trays (the ones people have recommended here).  I think I will use your divider idea.  Thank you
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top