Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By tpiskura:

They are the slotted trays (the ones people have recommended here).  I think I will use your divider idea.  Thank you

A few empty tubos would work as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I realize now I should have gotten a bigger cooler.  70qt just ain't cutting it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 2:57:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EchoAngel17] [#3]
Originally Posted By djsmiles:
I realize now I should have gotten a bigger cooler.  70qt just ain't cutting it.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb296/djsmiles828/20130226_144409_zps2ec68c98.jpg

Tried to tell you......
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By EchoAngel17:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb296/djsmiles828/20130226_144409_zps2ec68c98.jpg

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv267/USUI/FUNNY/muttley_2.gif

Tried to tell you......

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#5]

70 quarts?  Mine's 48 and I made a promise to my wife that I would not exceed it.  I've become creative at fitting sticks in it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 9:36:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChaSeR84] [#6]
Mine is stuffed to the gills also.. I haven't made any purchases in awhile (until today) trying to thin the heard a little..
How many sticks do y'all keep in your coolers? Can you have to many sticks in one cooler?

Eta: I even went as far as cutting an re- glueing the cedar trays so that they fit better using the contour of the cooler as "shelves".
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 7:35:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Polish_Infidel] [#7]
Originally Posted By ChaSeR84:
Mine is stuffed to the gills also.. I haven't made any purchases in awhile (until today) trying to thin the heard a little..
How many sticks do y'all keep in your coolers? Can you have to many sticks in one cooler?

Eta: I even went as far as cutting an re- glueing the cedar trays so that they fit better using the contour of the cooler as "shelves".

I must have about 250-300 in my 48 quart cooler.  That includes about 8 cedar cigar boxes and several things of humidifying beads.  But it is literally packed to the top. I have another box of Kinky Friedmans and I have no idea how it is going to fit in there.  Damn cold weather means I'm only smoking 1 stick a week.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ChaSeR84:

I have around 300-350 in my coolerdor right now, and it is pretty much completely full. I could maybe squeeze a few more boxes in up right between the stack of boxes I have in there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#9]
If you put a box of cigars in you coolerdor do you leave it closed?  I've seen some photos with he boxes still shrink wrapped.

I guess I'm confused on how a closed box benefits from the environment in the cooler.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PistolPutz:
If you put a box of cigars in you coolerdor do you leave it closed?  I've seen some photos with he boxes still shrink wrapped.

I guess I'm confused on how a closed box benefits from the environment in the cooler.

The wrappings on cigar boxes is non-permeable and does not allow air and moisture to flow through it....it helps keep the cigars "factory fresh" through transport.
Some makers put a humi pack inside the box before it is sealed up while other will not.
Mostly it's just a shipping aid.

I remove the outer wrapper and then rotate the cigars inside the boxes form time to time.
But I do have several boxes that I just slit the ends and left the rest alone as I hve no intention on touching them for quite some time.

Do you have to???
NO!
Does it make a difference?
Some say hell yeah....others...nope.
The only thing that troubles me is that if I don't peek at them, I have no idea what is going on inside the box and as we all can relate....that can be very bad.
So I err on the side of caution and will remove the plastic at some point and start my normal "top to bottom and left to right" rotation quraterly.

I DO NOT remove cigars from their individual covers is they have them as they ARE PERMEABLE and allow exchange through them.

Just like most of what we do, it is all personal preference.

Echo
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:01:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YELLOWV] [#11]
Im glad I listened to Echo and got the 150qt the first time. However I learned that by not listening to him and getting a small wine cooler instead of going with at least a 28 bottle.

As for cello if they come in it they stay in it til I smoke them. I always open boxes to check for damage and or mold.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies...  I don't buy a lot of complete boxes which is why I asked, but I have a few now.   I was just making sure it wasn't best to leave the full boxes slightly propped open after you check them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 4:23:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 308hotbrass] [#13]
I went out and bought the 70 qt cooler this morning from WW. Making a Coolerdor. I only smoke 1-4 sticks a month, if that. But I will admit the humidor that I own is iffy at best. I keep maybe 30 - 40 sticks around at a time.

Thanks for a great idea. I am sure my sticks will stay fresher much longer.

Guys, anyone had/have troubles with the hinges on the Coleman cooler? They look aweful flimsy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 308hotbrass:
I went out and bought the 70 qt cooler this morning from WW. Making a Coolerdor. I only smoke 1-4 sticks a month, if that. But I will admit the humidor that I own is iffy at best. I keep maybe 30 - 40 sticks around at a time.

Thanks for a great idea. I am sure my sticks will stay fresher much longer.

Guys, anyone had/have troubles with the hinges on the Coleman cooler? They look aweful flimsy.

The hinges on mine are good to go.  I did put some thin foam weather strippin all the way around the rim of the cooler.  I haven't had any problems yet.  Well, except running out of room.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 2:23:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks djsmiles. I went to a local cigar shop and picked up some cheep smokes for friends and family that like to smoke a cigar once or twice a year. Asked the sales lady if I could take a few cedar boxes and she said yes. Scored 3 nice boxes to go along with two that are laying aroung the place.
Tomorrow I will wash and dry the cooler and the build begins.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the write up! saved me a lot of money!
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a bunch of Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 boxes I found at the dump. Are these spanish cedar?
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 12:20:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EchoAngel17] [#18]
Originally Posted By va_gunz:
I have a bunch of Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 boxes I found at the dump. Are these spanish cedar?

Yep....lined with the good stuff.

But if they were at the dump, watch for contaminants.
They will need hydrated properly and take your time bringing them up.
It is worth the wait.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Is there any advantage to going with the tubes rather than the beads from heartfelt?

Wanting to stay on the smaller side to limit the amount of cigars I buy vs what I'll smoke.. haha. 1/2 lb OK for like a 50qt cooler..?
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#20]

I hate you guys, cooler this and cooler that. I have too many Tupperware containers and humidors at the moment I finally broke down.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpecialPatrolGroup:
<a href="http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/specialpatrolgroup1/media/cooler_zpsd116c888.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a566/specialpatrolgroup1/cooler_zpsd116c888.jpg</a>
I hate you guys, cooler this and cooler that. I have too many Tupperware containers and humidors at the moment I finally broke down.
View Quote

It's a good start....but you really should have listened...

You should have gone bigger...

Like he said....told you!

Echo
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:56:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: srob7001] [#23]
<a href="http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/specialpatrolgroup1/media/cooler_zpsd116c888.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a566/specialpatrolgroup1/cooler_zpsd116c888.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's the same cooler I have. My G/F has her own too.

You can fit quite a bit of cigars in it. 300 ish.

Welcome to the dark side
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I figured I'd start with a 70qt, if I out grow it its no biggie since it will always be usable as a cooler.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I figured I'd start with a 70qt, if I out grow it its no biggie since it will always be usable as a cooler.
View Quote

We are just messing with you.
We ALL did the same thing at one time.

Carry on!

Echo
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Ive got my cooler in the coldest room of my house, and I cant get better than 74/64 RH with 65%HF beads...
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FlyByWire:
Ive got my cooler in the coldest room of my house, and I cant get better than 74/64 RH with 65%HF beads...
View Quote

Don't worry, they'll be fine.

That's the best I get right now here in FL.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#30]

You sons of bitches...

I think I need trays. The boxes are clumsy
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#31]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/FlyByWire/1A4F019C-F400-4E94-95C7-FF416F884CE0-11660-000004448AB2AA79_zps8f22793e.jpg

You sons of bitches...

View Quote

Chuckle........
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#32]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/FlyByWire/1A4F019C-F400-4E94-95C7-FF416F884CE0-11660-000004448AB2AA79_zps8f22793e.jpg

You sons of bitches...

View Quote

You just need WAY more boxes......good little start though
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#33]
So when you buy a box of cigars do you just put the box in the cooler, or do you leave it open for a while? I've never stored boxes before I've always emptied them out into my humidor. I assume they will take longer to stabilize if I leave them closed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#35]
So my cooler (pic above) keeps dropping RH to about 60. I rehydrate weekly it seems. Calibrated hygrometer.

Wondering if it's the boxes sucking it up.... I took a rag with distilled water to them prior to them going in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#37]
I did the flashlight test on my coleman xtreme and there were a quite a few gaps I found, so I went to home depot and got some 3/8" wide by 3/16" thick foam weather stripping and lined the rim of the cooler with this and it fixed the problem.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Are you certain you have a good seal?
It sounds like air is getting in...

Echo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
So my cooler (pic above) keeps dropping RH to about 60. I rehydrate weekly it seems. Calibrated hygrometer.

Wondering if it's the boxes sucking it up.... I took a rag with distilled water to them prior to them going in.

Are you certain you have a good seal?
It sounds like air is getting in...

Echo

Its a pain in the ass to open, so I figured I had a decent seal. It'll hold rock solid at 65 for a week, then drop to 60..
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Wish I would have bought the largest one I could find in the first place
Cooler #2 is a 100 quart
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Good posts.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like a good weekend project. My old humi is a piece of garbage.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By MBShooter:
The only reason why I even thought about it was for temperature control.

Lol, its hard to think about building a cooler as I just started smoking cigars a few months ago.
View Quote

Doesn't take long.  I started on New Year's eve, I bought some sampler packs and some 5-packs online.  Now that I know what I like, I've got about 20 sticks that are too mild for me to enjoy (I might rotate them out in a pass or something) and another 20ish that I know I like.  All of this in a 8x12x6 (approx) pelican box.

But I just tried a Brick House maduro and local B&M had a box deal. If I'd had room, I'd have gotten them.  But alas, I'm full.  

Maybe I'll have a poker night or something and bring out the mild selection.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Tagged.

This is awesome.  Now I have to make one... eventually.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:44:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheMountaineer] [#44]
And so it begins...  Coleman 150 qt. Xtreme - $70 at Wal-Mart.  I also ordered some Heartfelt beads last week.

I went to the local B&M to pick up a few sticks and ask for boxes - the guy said he throws them out every day...  To start,
I think I'm going to tear down the give-away branded humidors I have and will probably just grab some trays.

For those of you who keep the coolerdor vertical, how do you take care of the uneven end of the cooler?  Mine is either
very unstable if the handle is folded down, or if it's out, it tips the cooler back a bit and rubs against the lid when opening.  
How should I deal with that?

ETA:  I don't know why the stupid picture is sideways...  My iPhone pics are about half the time
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Here's my start:  

I am still waiting on some beads from Heartfelt, and I only ordered 1/2 lb. so I figured the kitty litter would help.

I used the salt test to calibrate my new hygrometer overnight, and it was dead on, so I attached that to the lid of the coolerdor
this morning.  

Right now I basically have an Oliva box I just bought (tried the first last night - good cigar), two freebie cigar brand humidors
(took the lids off to use as trays), and a normal small humidor.  Eventually I want to put in shelving, get more boxes or trays,
and add a small computer fan running on low voltage.  I'm curious to see how its humidity is tonight when I get home from
work.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Build a stand that allows the handle to be out of the way and sits flat.
Or....cut it off...

Echo
View Quote

I plan to build the stand - I want to be able to keep the handle on there.

I checked the hygrometer last night and this morning - about 66-67 degrees and holding at 72% humidity
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#48]
It's vertical now.  I still have a number of things to do to it before it's done though:

• Cut off the last shelf section and put it in

• Add a fan system (I have most of the parts, just need to get them together and find a plug for the drain)

• Build a rack or just put a couple sections of 2x4s under it to keep the handle out of the way

• Get a butt-ton more boxes or trays; I'll probably slowly get a tray or two here and there until it's mostly trays since they're all the same size and would make organization easier

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:53:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ-AR15] [#49]
Just cleaned out an old military footlocker I had lying around.  Not really insulated but, my basement stays pretty cool year round so I think it will be ok down there.

Hardigg Footlocker
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks to the great info. from this thread, I "built" a 70qt. Extreme.  Since I'm not very adventerous when it comes to new sticks, the 70 will do.   1/2lb of HF 65% beads and 7-8 boxes seem to do the trick so far.

My local Malwart was kind enough to donate the cooler to me for nothing.  I've got a hygrometer inbound from HF also.

I'll relagate the desktop I have for aging the limited number of premies I have.

Smoke em if ya got em!

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top