Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:37:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gopeterson] [#1]
So I am waiting on Spanish cedar trays to arrive, but went ahead and tossed my Heartfelt beads in to the cooler with the hygrometer that was calibrated and sitting in my normal humidor.  The humidity jumped from 67% to 76% in about 30 minutes.  

Any thoughts on whether this will level off?  I did just charge the beads with distilled water so perhaps the beads have not saturated yet.

P.S.  This thread really ought to be tacked.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Easy.....plastic is not friendly!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By gopeterson:
So I am waiting on Spanish cedar trays to arrive, but went ahead and tossed my Heartfelt beads in to the cooler with the hygrometer that was calibrated and sitting in my normal humidor.  The humidity jumped from 67% to 76% in about 30 minutes.  

Any thoughts on whether this will level off?  I did just charge the beads with distilled water so perhaps the beads have not saturated yet.

P.S.  This thread really ought to be tacked.

I've found that my coolerdor really holds on to humidity, so with the beads, it's surprising how little (and infrequently) you need to add water. I used to add some water for good measure, but found out that was only necessary infrequently.

Mine leveled off when I backed off on my compulsion to add water. Remember, wooden humidors "breathe" which helps keep humidity down.

Make sure you open up the coolerdor and move things around on a regular basis. Don't add water to the beads until your hygrometer drops.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By EchoAngel17:
Easy.....plastic is not friendly!

Sorry...I wanted to expound but I was called away to a meeting.....

Plastic cannot hold or release moisture but it does repel and this is what happened here.
The beads were charged and ready and then placed into an environment that was....well....plastic.
The humidity spiked because there was nothing to "mello" it out.
It will all change when the cedar is introduced.

Patience young padawan......
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Up to the top....
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Bumparoo as it just needs to be seen again!
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Resurrection time....
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
In the beginning––-

A few more purchases and a year later––-

As it sits right now. Needed rearranging after last weeks hual––––

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I know someone who recently received a couple of Oust fans and some HCM beads for his 70qt cooler

Link Posted: 3/21/2012 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I didn't buy quite enough beads, more are inbound
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#11]
My 70qt is fully operational!

Let the filling begin!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:56:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DWFAN] [#13]
Originally Posted By Slavac:

Originally Posted By DWFAN:
My 70qt is fully operational!

Let the filling begin!

Pics aren't loading.  

I'll tell you what's in there so far since I'm at work...

1 box of Feral Flying Pigs

1 box of NHC Surrogate Bone Crushers

Cedar trays have already been ordered for singles

I have some work to do

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
So....do I need to encourage you a bit????

I changed my signature just for you buddy.....
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Just set mine up and I think I used to much water because my humidity top out at 79%.  DO I just take the sock out of the cooler and let it "dry" a little before I put it back in?

CSF

Link Posted: 5/17/2012 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CSFIREARMS:
Just set mine up and I think I used to much water because my humidity top out at 79%.  DO I just take the sock out of the cooler and let it "dry" a little before I put it back in?

CSF

Shake them off first....and no.....leave them/return them to the box.

Add some extra cigar boxes to help pull some of that humidity out.
Stop by your local B&M and see if they a stack OUTSIDE of the humidor that you can pick up.
Mine has a $4.00 price tag on the wall but I can't recall that she has EVER charged me for them.

In the future, try to wet only half of the beads so you get the full...Pull/Push that they work so well at.

Also...since I am lazy and do not want to go back and look.....you do have a bunch of spanish cedar shelves, boxes or planks in there....right???
You need to have some of those to create a buffer as the plastic is a seal and will not "breathe" like you need to keep your ceegars VERY happy.

Echo
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]

CSF

Stop by your local B&M and see if they a stack OUTSIDE of the humidor that you can pick up.
Mine has a $4.00 price tag on the wall but I can't recall that she has EVER charged me for them.

In the future, try to wet only half of the beads so you get the full...Pull/Push that they work so well at.

Also...since I am lazy and do not want to go back and look.....you do have a bunch of spanish cedar shelves, boxes or planks in there....right???
You need to have some of those to create a buffer as the plastic is a seal and will not "breathe" like you need to keep your ceegars VERY happy.

Echo

Yeah I have about 6 boxes in there and I have another cigar order coming in Saturday which will give me more gars and boxes.  I was pouring water on it then my wife starting asking questions about something and I was talking and pouring at the same time.  Drowned the little buggers!!

Thanks for the help.

CSF

Link Posted: 5/17/2012 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#18]

CSF

Echo

Yeah I have about 6 boxes in there and I have another cigar order coming in Saturday which will give me more gars and boxes.  I was pouring water on it then my wife starting asking questions about something and I was talking and pouring at the same time.  Drowned the little buggers!!

Thanks for the help.

CSF

JUST DON"T SET THEM OUT IN THE SUN TO DRY......BAD JU JU!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I added some more cigars in about an hour ago and the level drop to 58% humidity.  Hopfully it goes back up and level off

CSF
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I added some more cigars in about an hour ago and the level drop to 58% humidity.  Hopfully it goes back up and level off

CSF

We it soaked up a lot of juice over night and this morning the humidity was right at 69-70%  Perfect!!!  Thanks for all the help.

CSF

Link Posted: 5/20/2012 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I am thinking of trying out the cooler idea. My wineador is full and I might get a kick to the nut sack if I buy another wine cooler. I'm just worried about the temps here in FL. I am gonna have to throw one of my hygrometers in a cooler and stick it in the closet and see what kind of temps I get in there. My bedroom closet is air conditioned and should stay fairly cool. Hopefully it works or I might have to stop buying cigars for a while
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't know. It was registering 72 degrees at night. During the day it would probably hit 74 or 75. Not really comfortable with those temps.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I already have a wine cooler. Its full. My wife will kill me if I buy another.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Slavac, if you were to open your coolerador right now where would your temp be? I think I am overthinking the temp thing way to much. I hear all this crap about beetles and it scares me, but I would tend to think beetle problems most likely happen mostly in cases of extreme heat and not in a house that is 74 degrees. I have walked into many a B&M humidor that were hotter than my house and way more humid. I think if I do a coolerador and keep my RH around 64-65% I should be fine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 6:15:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tarkington] [#28]
Originally Posted By YELLOWV:
Slavac, if you were to open your coolerador right now where would your temp be? I think I am overthinking the temp thing way to much. I hear all this crap about beetles and it scares me, but I would tend to think beetle problems most likely happen mostly in cases of extreme heat and not in a house that is 74 degrees. I have walked into many a B&M humidor that were hotter than my house and way more humid. I think if I do a coolerador and keep my RH around 64-65% I should be fine.

My coolerdor (Texas summer) runs between 70 to 75 deg. RH between 62 to 67 (goes up and down with temp). No beetles or mold (thankfully).
100 qt. 1/4 cedar lined. 70% beads (run pretty dry) 2 oust fans.
I usually open and check daily to "air-out" and look around.
Auto thermostat in the house; 70 at night, 75 day while We're away.
Hope this helps.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks Tarkington. That would be pretty much the exact condition I would have. Looks like I'm getting a cooler next time I go to Wally World.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks Tarkington. That would be pretty much the exact condition I would have. Looks like I'm getting a cooler next time I go to Wally World.

If you have a Sam's Club nearby....they have a Extreme Marine Cooler for a great price.
Should last you about three weeks till full.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#31]
And here comes Echo just in time to push me off the edge Yep plenty of Sams clubs here and I do have a membership.
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Should be about $60. for the 150 qt cooler.
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm weak.... and it begins.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#34]
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/yellowv/2012-05-22203011.jpg

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#37]

You got a good one.  The '7 days of ice' means it has a ton of insulation.  You'll be good to go if you keep it in the AC somewhere and keep it out of sunlight.  

During the winter, I actually have to open it up and let it breathe a bit so the internal temps get a little boost.
I know colder is better but the basement gets chilly.

Besides...I like moving things around from time to time and its a good way to manage my OCD!
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#38]

You got a good one.  The '7 days of ice' means it has a ton of insulation.  You'll be good to go if you keep it in the AC somewhere and keep it out of sunlight.  

During the winter, I actually have to open it up and let it breathe a bit so the internal temps get a little boost.

Besides...I like moving things around from time to time and its a good way to manage my OCD!

Plus, you get to fondle your sticks
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#39]

Again.....stay out of my damn basement!!!!
That is my private time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#40]

That is my private time.

Hey, somone needs to make sure it puts the lotion on it's skin.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#41]

That is my private time.

OK......this is going down the wrong rabbit hole....

If anyone is putting in an order at Heartfelt....let me know so we can piggy-back and order and split shipping.
I seem to be needing a few pounds of beads again...

I have no self-control....
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#42]

Yeah that's what I figured. It's going to be kept in a walk in closet that is air conditioned and never sees sunlight. So it should be good. My wife isn't too keen on losing a hunk of closet space though. LOL
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#43]

That is my private time.

OK......this is going down the wrong rabbit hole....

If anyone is putting in an order at Heartfelt....let me know so we can piggy-back and order and split shipping.
I seem to be needing a few pounds of beads again...

I have no self-control....

I am.  2x 1lb bags of beads, plus the mesh/nets for them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Well I have the cooler pretty much where I want it. Temo is at like 70 in there and the humidity 62%. I will get that up a couple of points and it will be perfect. Cleared about 75 sticks out of my wineador yesterday and put them in the cooler.  I plan on using the wineador for the higher end stuff and the cooler for the lower priced bulk stuff.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Working like a champ. Staying between 69 and 72 degrees and has been solid at 64% RH. Glad I did it. Now I can by deals when I find them and not worry about space. My wife is pissed about the giant white cooler in the closet though. This is the same woman that needed to go out and buy an entire extra 7 foot long kitchen cabinet section to put in our dining room to house her baking supplies.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 1:00:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Isn't it supposed to be Echo trying to get me to buy more cigars? :) Yes I know they help buffer both RH and temp. Its actually been rock solid nearly empty so far.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#48]
- 70qt Coleman Xtreme 5-day on sale at Amazon for $39.88
- Heartfelt beads, sock, and digital hygrometer (15% because they're out of the office) for $48.93

Coolerdor supply total is currently at $88.81
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 6:53:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YELLOWV] [#49]
Mine has been rock solid at 63%RH now for a couple of weeks and sits between 69 and 71 degrees. These coolers work great for cheap.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 7:14:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Well, now I just need to find a source for some good boxes.  Both of my local B&Ms charge for boxes
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top