Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2008 2:52:41 PM EDT
Here is a quick tutorial on how I built a flag pole for my mancave/foxhole in my backyard on the cheap.

Materials Required:
1 Length (10 ft) of 1/4 inch Metal Electrical Tubing
1 Length (10 ft) of 1/2 inch Metal Electrical Tubing
Two 3/16" (or smaller) Eyelet bolts with nuts
Two Cheap Carabiners
A 3'x5' Flag

Tools Required:
3/16" drill bit
Drill
Pencil
Ladder
Some kind of pounding device (Hammer)
Hacksaw
A Good Friend

First, you need to find a good spot for your flagpole, good examples for places would be in the corner of a flower bed or an old flower bed (Which was our case) the soil will need to be fairly soft. Then you need too take your ladder, good friend and hammer and the 1/4" tubing to your spot and have your friend hold it while you take the hammer and pound the 1/4" Pole in the ground at the desired spot. You need to pound it until it is around 5' into the ground. This will be the base for your flag pole. Now you need the pole to put your flag on.

Now, take your Bit and Drill and drill a hole about a half inch away from the top of your 1/2" tubing through both sides of the tubing. Now insert your eyelet, tighten the nut, and slip the carabiner through the eye.

Take your flag and clip it to the carabiner and stretch it down the pole and take your pencil and mark through the eyelet. This is where you will drill your hole through like you did before and put in the eyelet and carabiner. Now attach the other end of your flag to the carabiner.

You now have your flag pole.
Now here is the hardest part. Take the flag pole and slide it on to your base and Boom! Now you have a flag pole!

This is a very flexible idea that can find multiple uses. It is intended to be used for light uses although it stood up to the 40+ MPH winds that were experienced while I was taking the pictures. The dying tree in the background was victim to the 100+ MPH wind storm we experienced two weeks ago. The flag pole base had a tree fall on it but after straightening the pole, it works just fine. It would be great for a flag outside your kids playhouse or if you want to put up multiple flags. I would suggest painting the tip of the base orange for visibility (You dont want it to become a pungi stick)

Sure its a simple idea but its very functional and it has actually been pretty nice to have. and hell, it only cost me about $15

Link Posted: 8/21/2008 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#1]
What's with the bunker in the front yard??
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 12:26:46 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds like it would work. i like my idea better buy/borrow/steal. a section of TV tower cut off the cross brace pieces. bolt 2 of them togther.....cut the 3rd down, drive into the ground attach the others......a flag pole
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#3]
So the 1/2" conduit rotates on the 1/4" conduit as wind direction changes correct? And the large conduit uses the first eyelet as a downward stop for the 1/4" top of the conduit? I am in need of a pole for mounting to the house so a bracket plus this should work. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool work and idea !
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
cool, but got ask to, what is the deal on the bunker?
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 4:18:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I havn't observed it rotate on the 1/4" conduit yet so I can't tell you yes or no on that, I usually tend to turn the pole in the way of the wind

As for the bunker, a friend and I were bored last summer and dug it. it goes about 4 feet down and 2 feet up with the sandbags. It didnt have much use but I figured out that when we lost power after our 100+mph windstorm that it made much more sense to run the generator inside the foxhole than to have it up by the house, it directed the sound away. It also works as a good firepit and general hangout spot. Plus it makes a good conversation point

The big piece of dirt that was left is now gone. It is a square now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top