Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, its starting to look pretty damn good.

Keep up the good work :)
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I figgered the blocks were because of the slope, just not something I am used to seeing, but things are different up here with the freezing and stuff like that.  Cool deal on the nearby range.  Are you doing the remodel yourself?  The house looks like it is begging for a huge deck.  

I am jealous of the shop....I have one, but unfortunately it is also the garage and the wife has this incredible urge to park her rig in there and I can seem to make her see that my tinkering is of greater importance than her car being toasty warm.  

Looks like you got a great deal.  I can't wait to see the progress pics.  

No shit
I have the same problem
Just because it was listed as a garage with the house doesnt mean she needs to park her car in there

Nice looking digs
Why are you gutting it?  wallsand kitchen all look decent
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#3]
the walls where yellow from smoking and the so called sheetrock was only about 3/8 thich and some of it was damaged. I have never liked the looks of mobile homes walls. They take a piece of matching trim and cover the joints with it.

The cabinets where old and had water damaged. It was easier to to replace everything then try to repair everything.

I spent about $20 k on the remodel that is almost replacing everything. New appliances, cabinets, furniture, flooring(carpet, vinyl. laminate flooring),1/2 sheetrock over the old (you can tell the difference in the temps in the house already), painting, fixtures,outlets,switches, faucets windows, interior doors.

So i have spent almost $45k on this house including the purchase of the house and land. The tax value still is almost $20k more than spent. On the tax rate from last year.

hopefully will be starting to move in the weekend of the 8th.

Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard somewhere that cabinets are ridiculously expensive, is that true?
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
i bought the cabinets from lowes they are the basic off the shelf cabinets, I spent $2000 on them.
But the ones you have to order are 2-3 x's more and even a lot more than that depending on the ones you get.

the ones i got are solid oak fronts, doors and draw fronts.
everything else is particle board with oak veneer.
they are pretty sturdy for the money.

The next cabinets that go in i will build myself.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
almost done.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#7]
looking very nice
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#8]
been following this thread since its inception. Looking very good hanau!
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the walls where yellow from smoking and the so called sheetrock was only about 3/8 thich and some of it was damaged. I have never liked the looks of mobile homes walls. They take a piece of matching trim and cover the joints with it.

hanua, if you plan on moving it, you're going to have problems with cracked sheet rock.  The reason they do the sheet rock joints with the trim is BC they leave a gap between each piece of sheet rock to allow for movement.  Those frames flex when they are being moved.  Especially with the uneven ground your house sits on.

Looks really nice though.  Big improvement from where you started.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#10]
not going to be moved ,i bought the land it is sitting on.
the delivered appliances today but the stove was damaged. Replacement will be here Friday.
But together book cases and TV stand.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#12]
It just keeps looking better and better.  Please keep posting photos.  It is great to see the progress you are making.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#14]
please ignore the mess we are still unpacking. Purchased Oct17,2007 moved in weekend of Dec 8 2007

new windows on the front

and what they look like inside

rest of the house is to messy to post pics right now.

Link Posted: 12/12/2007 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks great
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#16]
EXCELLENT JOB!

What is your total cost for the rebuild (house + materials)

I imagine you'll be needing it appraised for insurance reasons,  let us know what it gets appraised for.

Also,  have you done anything to the shed?  What are your plans for it?

Link Posted: 12/12/2007 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#17]
To add.. and not to be picky,  but if you can, switch the way those fridge doors open.  It'll get old after a while moving stuff from the fridge to the sink and back and forth with the doors in the way.  My brother's apartment is setup the same way and after a month of running into an open fridge door when getting something out to put on the stove or prep in the sink he had me come and reverse the way his doors swung.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
EXCELLENT JOB!

What is your total cost for the rebuild (house + materials)

I imagine you'll be needing it appraised for insurance reasons,  let us know what it gets appraised for.

Also,  have you done anything to the shed?  What are your plans for it?

$23k for the house and land + $20k for remodeling that includes new furniture.

only thing's that wasn't replaced bathtubs, shower, toilets, water heater and heating and air.

So around $43k invested.

haven't started on the workshop yet. Going to try and get insulation in the walls this weekend. Then my woodshop moved in.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
To add.. and not to be picky,  but if you can, switch the way those fridge doors open.  It'll get old after a while moving stuff from the fridge to the sink and back and forth with the doors in the way.  My brother's apartment is setup the same way and after a month of running into an open fridge door when getting something out to put on the stove or prep in the sink he had me come and reverse the way his doors swung.  

Thanks I didn't even think about the doors.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#20]
i have a question for you if you don't mind. when you did the floors did you cut the old floors out then replace. or just lay new sheathing over the old floor?just wondering as i currantly live in an older mobile home....aww heck i live in a trailer.elderly owner, low income, you get the picture.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#21]
we just cut out the bad spots and replaced them. we had to do a little framing under it.
had to add some 2x4's under the new joints to give some place to screw the floors to.
Then i cam back and laid 7/16 OSB board on top of the whole floor.

measure your thickness of the floor after cutting it back to a good spot. My floor measured 5/8 thick. some measure 3/4 plus in some homes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice work.  That style of interior trim looks cool.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#23]
height=8
Quoted:
i have a question for you if you don't mind. when you did the floors did you cut the old floors out then replace. or just lay new sheathing over the old floor?just wondering as i currantly live in an older mobile home....aww heck i live in a trailer.he
                                                                                                                                        thanks! i could not tell how you did it from the pictures. i can relate to getting fixtures and other stuff (water heater)to fit in a mobile home. at least i don't have the old crank out window to deal with
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top