BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:28:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoStrikerFired] [#1]
when i lived in california...i ran a excavator

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
For the last 15 years I have been in road and bridge construction. The biggest job I have been over is new construction of a 4 lane highway. We did 8 miles and the final cost was almost $29 million. I am getting ready to start a $5 million bridge replacement. My wife says I am a jack of all trades and a master of none. I also do autobody/mechanic work, welding, roofing, grade and foundation work for buildings, and tinker with lots of stuff.

Couple of pics:

Pouring bridge abutment

Pouring bridge deck
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:27:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryancanon] [#3]
I started doing stained glass when I was 17(32 now). We travel mostly around PA, Md, NY, NJ but will go anywhere. We do anything from small residential windows, repairs, to restoring an entire church. I love that I can say I enjoy my job. $20 repairs to $500k restorations

I also did a lot of work for a general contractor so I'm experienced in concrete, carpentry, electrical, tile, etc
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Going to school to be a diesel mechanic right now! And been a farmer all my life.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Apprentice Electrician in DFW.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Started out when I was 12, hanging out with my uncle who repaired Ammonia refrigeration, never left the trade. I progressed away from commercial refrigeration over the years into Cryogenic freeze drying, MRI cryo and low temp auto cascade vacuum chambers. I have owned my business since 1981 and I will be 62 this month.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I do a little welding. GTAW, SMAW, GMAW, Conventional Friction Stir, Self Reacting Friction Stir, VPPAW. From custom Iron Work to rockets that have delivered rovers to Mars and astronauts to the Space Station.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Hidey Ho from SMIBville. I am a sheet metal journeyman by trade and welder by specialty. I carry most of D9 & D1 and a QC1 CWI. I teach welding as well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
BMW repair, specialize in the 80's 24 valve engine cars, hence...my next career home building supervisor
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:21:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JR12Valve] [#10]
Welder. My best work is SMAW, but I still hold six certifications in fcaw, all passing dt, mpi, and xray.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Operating Engineer, mostly operate excavators but operate all sorts of equipment from cranes to concrete pumps. Been a member of IUOE Local 14 since 2007.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:39:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K2enemy] [#12]
I'm a multi-craft mechanic at the Radford Army ammunition plant for Alliant Powder (USW local 8-00002). Hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical, woodworking, fabrication, welding, machining, pipe fitting, PLCs, calibrations, automotive, we do it all. I've only been in the shop for just over a year but I've been an auto mechanic on and off since I was 16.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Commercial doors, windows, automatic door operators, and what ever else I am told to do.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:56:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Professional Gravel Relocater Owner Operator, Also can hold my own running a loader, hoe, skidsteer, etc. As well as MANY a hour running a shovel, rake and grade rod. Also pulled a few wrenches in my days.

Work on lots of residential excavation, a bit of commercial, roads; dirt and some asphalt and chip sealing, stream rehab on occasion, and of course snow removal.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:48:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Water Well Driller, Electrical Engineer for the first 10 years of my life and well driller for the last 20+ years.  Worked all over the world and I'm currently drilling a 18 million cubic meters per year of a well field and a 40 mile pipeline install in Saudi Arabia.

I know RO systems (real ones not those pretend under the sink models..lol), pumps of all kinds (water that is) controls, PLCs and have even done more then my fair share of off/on grid solar systems (somewhat of a hobby business).
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Power plant operations at the moment have also worked in power plant instrumentation, electrical and control. I have also worked in the maritime industry.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:16:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RustyBucket] [#17]
I remodel kitchens and baths. We do it all, tear it down to the studs and put it back, but have been trying to do just tile lately. I find i enjoy doing tile the most. Have been at it full time since 06
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Went from commercial construction in California to highway traffic control foreman in Dallas on a $2 billion dollar highway expansion. It was a big change for me, especially being only 26 years old.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Volvo heavy equipment tech, also certified welder, can do machine work and fabrication.....also a business partner in auto shop. Within a year should be opening another business dealing in firearms.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Telecom.  Work for a system vendor.  Went from being a cable monkey to full system programmer/installer.  Also project manage my own cable installations.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Sheet metal apprentice.  "Tin knocker" as the GC refers to us on every job. I hang, fab ductwork work. Install air systems and accessories. Love my job.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Just started as a apprentice electrician a couple months ago

I already want to rewire my place

Just because
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:10:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I currently solve problems that are technical in nature. I know everyone does that but I'm on a team that solves deeply technical problems that others can't solve. It's essentially arguing with my teammates for at least 8 hours s day about why stuff happens. It's an education every day.

Other than that, I'm a mechanic (auto/industrial)/electrician(up to 4160 residential/industrial/control/construction)/instrument technician (measurement/process control/PLC/DCS)/Controls and Automation Engineer.

Those are my official things. Other than that, I have built and remodeled houses, dabbled in millwright work, welding, and so on.

I mainly have an interest in working with my hands although I don't get to do it enough.

More than anything I like problem solving. Most people don't realize we have a limited capacity to impose our will on the physical world. We have a few tricks that we use in new and interesting ways.

I can't cook.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrTinkels:

Just because
View Quote

I've been a apprentice for a while now and am enjoying it. I wish i would have started earlier in life though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Mechanical contractor.  Air Conditioning and heating
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Commercial interiors, drywall, framing, ceilings. And know how to do a lot of other things.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Plumbing/mechanical superintendent. I push a pen and a laptop now. 12 years of plumbing service work and 31 years total in the trade.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By lethe:

I've been a apprentice for a while now and am enjoying it. I wish i would have started earlier in life though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Just because

How long must you be an apprentice for until you get to the next level?

<--- knows nothing about electrical certification.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By svtfast:

View All Quotes

Just because

4-5 years as an apprentice, then you can become a Journeyman.  Another year and you can take your master's test.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I do custom Quartz and Solid Surface countertops.....been in the field most of my (short) working career. Currently templating but have done a lot of different jobs in the field. Pays well and I have a lot of fun with it
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#32]
15 yrs in Residential construction before going to work for an Electric Utility.  Certified Energy Manager, HERs rater, BPI BA, Level I Thermographer.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#33]
32 years as a carpenter, the last 15 of those as a licensed contractor.

Mainly remodel/addition. I like it better than new because there are always problems that need to be solved due to out of square and level/plumb issues on the existing structure.

The goal is when done, nobody notices.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#34]
GB-98= Licensced General Contractor in the state of New Mexico.   I can do anything but electrical, mechanical, infrastructure and playgrounds.   Yes I can build a sky scraper, but no playgrounds, or paint lines on asphalt special trade for that too.  

I do commercial and residential buildings.   My wife is an interior designer, and so is my MIL.   So residential is a lot of fun .   I try to stay commercial and oilfield.  With that down now I'm doing roofs, custom cabinetry, and remodels.  On top of my Wife"s modular buildings.   Several years off and on building in some sort or another.  Done everything from the DIY guy to land surveying to getting into construction and then my license.  

Not many other fields get to accomplish things that they don't own, but are parent proud of.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Retired in '08 at 55 with 33 years in the printing industry. 20 years hands on running and fixing presses and 13 years in tech sales selling inks,coatings, adhesives, press room chemistry and consumables. I loved the biz and have zero regrets.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Just because

Most Trade Unions have a 4-5 year apprenticeship program. Plumbers, Ironworkers, Carpenters, Electricians, etc
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#37]
My dad owns a sheet metal shop in western ny.  We travel up and down the east coast doing commercial sheet metal install.  Also do some hvac service.  I'm also a certified welder and took a few courses in basic diesel mechanics.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:08:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZW17] [#38]
It's been quite awhile since my last post on AR15.com, but I run a CNC prototyping business, sell a couple of my own products, and machine limited quantity production runs.  I am an active duty Navy Diver, have just over 15 years in at this point...and of course I love AR's and AK's!

Respectfully,

Nico

I am sorry but there is no advertising allowed without a dealer account

Please see the link below if you are interested

~ZW17

https://www.ar15.com/about/advertise.html
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:30:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#39]
Residential framing and trim carpenter for most of my 20's, Super and PM in my 30's,
Built everything from luxury homes to hospitals along the way

Held GC licenses in three states at one time, on and off spec builder
until 06

Jack of all by necessity; accruing sweat equity along
with real estate speculating is now my master trade

Currently remoding and exterior reno of a 87 year old 700 ft sq footprint 2200 ft sq walkable detached garage with studio
Tudor Revival to take to market.

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#40]

I've kind of done it all...  I have worked in a professional capacity on my tools as an industrial mechanic, Electrician, Instrumentation technician, operator. I started working on motorcycles when I was about 9 and built my first V8 when I was 14. I'm still a pretty decent mechanic and still do it from time to time.  My main skill is as a  controls and automation engineer for a large oil company. Before my current role I managed control and automation systems to include end devices (valves, transmitters), Control systems (PLC's are my favorite but I dabble in DCS). 

My current role is a "Problem solver". I work in a multi-discipline 3 man team to solve problems that other folks can't seem to overcome. I love my job.

I tell folks about my areas of expertise and they look at me like I'm crazy. It's possible to have that varied experience if you start when you are 9 years old and have a Dad that has the discipline to let you struggle at stuff until you figure it out. 
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Finish carpenter, currently in stair installation.  Wood, stainless steel & glass.  Pretty fun job, have been doing woodworking for a little over a decade now.  Nice to see some other finish carpentry/fine woodworking guys here!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:39:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadsquiggles] [#42]
Outside Machinist with Nuclearing Refueling specialty. For anyone who doesn't know, an (maritime) outside machinist fixes anything mechanical on a boat/ship.

I've been a outside machinist for about 4 years. 2 years as underpaid and under appreciated "helper" at a private shipyard that had a mentally of "learn fast or we fire you". I was paid as a helper which was fair considering my experience level but I was out working 2nd class mechanics and was almost on par with the 1st classes. After 2 years, I got a job (finally after 3 years of trying)  and 1st class mechanic at the government shipyard by me. Scared shitless on my first day, turns out I tend to be a better outside machinist than a lot of the graduates apprentices and guys with years in the trade. After a year of non nuclear work, I volunteered for our nuclear side of the house and skipped past secondary and primary sides and went straight to refueling. Extremely challenging and interesting. Don't plan on leaving unless they make me. I love that I can say I love my job.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Auto Mechanic, switched to the Diesel side for the money.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Electrical, Instrumentation, Electronics, DCS-QCS-SCADA stuff.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:49:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#45]
Itinerant carpenter/Former PM

current ball buster is putting my house to market

8 weeks ago

Today 8 weeks later

Kitchen and bath above total gut out and total renovation, two small baths to one and kitchen opened to dinning

Just me so far, plasterer next week for butter cream ceiling, floor finisher after, then counter people

here's the fun stuff that I have handy, demo to structural refit:

upstairs baths

far wall of kitchen below bath

fudged up joists after demo

just don't build em like they used to

kitchen below

New stuff to replace hacked stuff and properly carry the one and a half story load above

Six and a half tons of ninety year old house removed in five days
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Mechanical Engineer

Work in a machine shop specializing in the forming and machining of exotic and high temp alloys.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Industrial mechanic, specifically in waste water.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:38:53 AM EDT
[#48]
At the ripe age of 45 i decided i had enough of investigations (12 yrs) and learn a trade.  I trained for 14 weeks 9 hours daily as a Aluminum Structural Fitter and Structural Welder (GMAW certified).  While working i learned FCAW but did not get certified as it wasnt an option at the shipyard.  

Now i am a disability retiree and hating every minute of it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Master certified ase technician here, with L1. Been turning wrenches for about 10 years now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:17:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: t11t5] [#50]
Hello everyone, Im a woodworker. I build things from really small items to complete furniture. I don't mind building whatever customers ask for. I've never done kitchen cabinets but a friend of mine bought a house built in 1854. So when he is ready for that it will be my first one. Here are some pictures:

I built these for a friend of mine when he got his first house.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top