Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 6:36:13 PM EDT
Most people have them running from a telephone pole to their house. I'm talking the low voltage coax cables and phone lines running to the house for AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner, Wow, etc. Well, I have 4 of them, and only one is used. They're an eyesore to me and I want them out of my back yard.

Is there any reason I can't remove them from the side of my house and cut it back to the telephone pole? I won't actually touch any part of the lines or pole, just cut the cable close to where it connects to the mainline.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Call cable companies and tell them a tree fell and need fixing,  then when the tech comes tell take his down
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Not your property. PERIOD. You can call and politely ask for each company to remove the unused lines. They may agree with the removal but tell you if you ever want renewed services, you will be responsible for a increased hook op charge.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
can you just coexist with them? 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
low voltage kills to.

Contact the owner.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The companies won't take their lines down. I've tried. They don't care unless you're a subscriber.

I had AT&T installed when I moved in and they wouldn't even take down their old line when they installed a new one.

I ordered Wow for installation on Friday this week and their $50 installation fee covers running a line from the pole to my house.

I'm not seeing how it's their line if I have to pay to have it installed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The companies won't take their lines down. I've tried. They don't care unless you're a subscriber.

I had AT&T installed when I moved in and they wouldn't even take down their old line when they installed a new one.

I ordered Wow for installation on Friday this week and their $50 installation fee covers running a line from the pole to my house.

I'm not seeing how it's their line if I have to pay to have it installed.
View Quote
You have to pay to have the company I work for [utility] run a gas line to the house, I can assure you that you don't own it in the least, nor are you responsible for the upkeep and repairs on it unless you hit it with no miss dig or fail to exercise due caution after having it located.

The $50 you are paying isn't even covering the true cost of the install of the WOW line.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
15 minutes from now it could be as if those lines were never there....

Option #2: If you'll be there when the WOW tech shows up, ask him to cut them off while he's on the pole.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Option #2: If you'll be there when the WOW tech shows up, ask him to cut them off while he's on the pole.
View Quote
No one, and I mean NO ONE will deliberately cut another utilities lines. .....Unless they are absolutely brain dead and are trying to find a way to get fired for cause.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I disconnected at their Junction, phone had a box and cable had a coupler. I then neatly coiled them up individually and zip tied them to the guy wires on the pole. A couple months later they disappeared when the service companies came through and noticed them. I still have phone service from the same company but it is fiber, they just couldn't find time to remove the old wire. Cable was Comcast and IDGAF what they think. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No one, and I mean NO ONE will deliberately cut another utilities lines. .....Unless they are absolutely brain dead and are trying to find a way to get fired for cause.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're ABANDONED phone drops and they get cut off all the time.  I was in the business for 25 years, it was common practice and no one got fired/nobody cared.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:41:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I disconnected at their Junction, phone had a box and cable had a coupler. I then neatly coiled them up individually and zip tied them to the guy wires on the pole. A couple months later they disappeared when the service companies came through and noticed them. I still have phone service from the same company but it is fiber, they just couldn't find time to remove the old wire. Cable was Comcast and IDGAF what they think. 
View Quote
This is what I would do... undo the splice/connection at the house, coil it up and leave it hang on the pole.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:44:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They're ABANDONED phone drops and they get cut off all the time.  I was in the business for 25 years, it was common practice and no one got fired/nobody cared.
View Quote
Common practice for someone in your utility to cut another utility's cables?  As a telephone tech for a large telco, we don't ever cut down cable company drops, no matter how much a homeowner begs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your own old drops, sure, someone elses, no. Especially if they are not even the same kind of drops.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Common practice for someone in your utility to cut another utility's cables?  As a telephone tech for a large telco, we don't ever cut down cable company drops, no matter how much a homeowner begs.
View Quote
If the homeowner asks and it's a dead drop, down it comes. No harm done and the homeowner is happy.

If not, the now pissed off customer is just going to pull it from his house anyway, leaving it coiled at the pole or dangling in the breeze until another tech sees it.  At which time another tech climbs the same pole to remove the same drop that could have been removed while I was up there in the first place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top