Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2017 3:05:46 PM EDT
We recently moved out to the "country. I've always had a manicured yard and my new back yard is giving me fits. As you can see, the yard has a lot of shade. I need a grass that will tolerate the shade. Most say rescue, some say zosia and others Bermuda. This fall I am bringing the far right corner up 6ft. To try to level the yard a little better. Any suggestions on what seed/did to get?
(Nw Arkansas)
http://i.imgur.com/JGlkn9J.jpg
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think it isn't the shade that's as much of a problem as all the trees surrounding the grass taking more water and nutrients.  I cut a bunch of ratty trees that ran along my property line, and replanted regular grass, don't remember what kind.  It filled in no problem.  Previous it was always bare dirt in the areas closer to the trees.

Face the facts, you probably won't be nominated for yard of the month club anymore.  :)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Zoysia and Bermuda need lots of sun. Fescue may do better. The more shade that you have the worse your turf will perform. 

Keep the trees trimmed and thinned out. 

If if you have an irrigation system, separate the sunnier areas of turf from the shadier areas. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:01:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to a local nursery, a serious nursery, perhaps an Armstrong or whoever is in your area.  Ask them for recommendations for grasses.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd do tall fescue. It's one of the most shade tolerant types. You might mix in a little hybrid blue grass so your lawn will repair damage. Fescue won't spread so if it gets thin it needs over seeded.

Hybrid blue grass deals with heat better than regular blue grass but it's not as dark green.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd do tall fescue. It's one of the most shade tolerant types. You might mix in a little hybrid blue grass so your lawn will repair damage. Fescue won't spread so if it gets thin it needs over seeded.

Hybrid blue grass deals with heat better than regular blue grass but it's not as dark green.
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#6]

A yards best friend. Feeds every time it rains and non burning.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/d2/d2c7bcd2-493b-4545-9b64-eab19b6db469_1000.jpg

A yards best friend. Feeds every time it rains and non burning.
View Quote
I agree on the Milorganite it's easy and foolproof, a friend in the landscape biz turned me on to it years ago. Doesn't matter where it lands as you broadcast it.

I also think its a good idea to use pelletized lime to beef up soil pH, but you should check your soils pH before doing so. In my locale the soil tend to run on the acidic side so its hard to screw it up and lime is cheap. Just remember lots trees and ornamentals prefer acidic soil so keep the lime away from those areas.

I'll use Ironite to green up turf without all the extra growth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top