Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2017 11:10:34 AM EDT
So I have a flood light on the outside of my garage on the corner.
I want to add one probably less than a foot away, pointed on the other side of that corner.

I figure I can notch the housing and run extended wiring from the original and the new one will get power where the old one is.
But is there some small conduit made for this?

All I see is that 1/4 inch aluminum or galvanize piping.
It would look like ass going around the corner of the house, AND it would be way bigger than the mounting piece that is flush to the wall of either light, so it would be open to air anyway.

Or do I have to pull both lights and mount them on some sort of box so the conduit can mount into the box?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the light in the soffit?
1/2" emt or pvc conduit is standard stuff.

Take a pic.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you have a recessed box feeding the existing light.

The only options are to fish a new piece of romex from the old location to the new, and cut in a new recessed box, or run everything on the surface.   This would be the surface box you use.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Can you see the soffit from the attic? Can you see the wires? Is so easy job. If not surface mount a box and run surface raceway.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah I guess it is the recessed box.
It is in the brick not the soffet.

I could fish a line to the soffet, but couldn't get the old one to there.

So new box to mount the old one on the surface of the brick and the new one as well with a raceway between them I guess is the answer.
Don't want to open up the drywall or cut into the other brick to fish lines out.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yeah I guess it is the recessed box.
It is in the brick not the soffet.

I could fish a line to the soffet, but couldn't get the old one to there.

So new box to mount the old one on the surface of the brick and the new one as well with a raceway between them I guess is the answer.
Don't want to open up the drywall or cut into the other brick to fish lines out.

Thanks.
View Quote
Sounds like you've answered your own question. The existing light is mounted in the brick with a recessed box. You don't want to open drywall inside the garage, or chisel out brick for a new recessed box.

The only way to get a light where you want it with your restrictions is to surface mount. You'll want to use the boxes linked above, and use 1/2" conduit to make the connections. You'll need a conduit box adapter at each end, some 1/2" conduit, and a conduit elbow. Remember, you can't use Romex in conduit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#6]
All that, and use rain tight conduit fittings.  Paint it to blend and you'll forget it's there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Put an extension box on the existing box and then add some PVC conduit from one box box to the other.

If you use plastic boxes and sunlight rated PVC conduit (almost all of it is) you can easily paint everything to match the brick.

It will all just disappear.

It is probbaly going to be small enough to just use some solid wire.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes a weather proof box extension with 1/2" holes and a small amount of seal tight/ non metallic. Of course we would say class 1, division1, explosive rated with only stainless rigid conduit with the tig welded connectors.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:22:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I used the flexible gray pvc conduit when I did basically the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes a weather proof box extension with 1/2" holes and a small amount of seal tight/ non metallic. Of course we would say class 1, division1, explosive rated with only stainless rigid conduit with the tig welded connectors.
View Quote
You left out the seal off.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]
How close to the corner?

They make 270 degree floods now. 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#13]
problem with changing the other is it is a motion sensor light.
it doesn't point right to trip it from that side of the garage.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well us pro's know that would be a must.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top