Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 5:56:03 PM EDT
Listed for around $200.  I can't find much info on these.

Craftsman 110 wire feed mig welder, with stand, gas and helmet.
  • 75 Amp output
  • Up to 3\16
  • Low output for thin metal
  • use .024 .030 or .035 
Owner's Manual

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
That will get him started, it should run fine for him. .30 wire is less frustrating then .24 wire.
Just use what it set up for. Good move dad, make sure he has a good helmet.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Eastwood has their 130A (?) mig on sale for $199 fairly often. $14 shipping and was hete next day! With reg but no cart. HF cart for cheap on sale.
What I got for my boys.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
A good starter would be a good teacher who doesn't teach him bad habits.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That will get him started, it should run fine for him. .30 wire is less frustrating then .24 wire.
Just use what it set up for. Good move dad, make sure he has a good helmet.
View Quote
This^

And also be prepared to help him deal with his first flash burn. I hate that, it REALLY sucks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Spend the coin and buy a Hobart or Lincoln with a tank and get away from fluxcore wire. I'm still running the Lincoln buzzbox I bought 16-18 years ago. I got the spot/stitch timer with it when I bought it which is really nice for really thin metal.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:05:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Spend the coin and buy a Hobart or Lincoln with a tank and get away from fluxcore wire. I'm still running the Lincoln buzzbox I bought 16-18 years ago. I got the spot/stitch timer with it when I bought it which is really nice for really thin metal.
View Quote
This one does have a tank.  I could get a buzz box, my first thought, but my unattached garage isn't wired for 220 and it's not in the cards right now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd probably pull the trigger at $160 if I was looking for something to beat on, but $200 seems just a hair high for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]
We did get them down some in price.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]
For under $200, yeah you did good.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Nicely done!

Both my boys turned into good welders and my 19 year old now does it for a living.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#11]
MIG welding, an easy skill to learn, but foreign to so many people.  My son wants to learn, but he won't slow down long enough for me to show him.

OP, do you have the knowledge to teach him? Or is he going to YouTube it?  

One thing I learned years ago the hard way was to never weld a body panel on a car starting at one end and working your way to the other end.  

Had to go back and cut things loose and realign the panel.  Jump around and work your way all over.  Clean stitch welds with a wire wheel as you go.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#12]
My parents had 220 in their garage, my parent bought me when I was 12 a used Lincoln AC/DC stick welder. (Was the last Lincoln I owned). My cousin taught welding and taught me how to weld. 

When I graduated from high school I put enough money together plus got a screaming deal through my cousin for a new Miller HF TIG.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

OP, do you have the knowledge to teach him? Or is he going to YouTube it?  
View Quote
We're learning together.  Youtube mostly but he does plan to go to welding school.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A good starter would be a good teacher who doesn't teach him bad habits.
View Quote
this is good advice.

depending on what you want to weld, you may be better off waiting for a 220v unit. i went from a buzz box to a 220 MIG. I usually used .125 stuff, but i've welded .375 and thicker. my thought is i'd prefer to be able to put in thinner wire and turn down the voltage if i want to weld thin stuff (i welded a 55 gallon drum back together to make a bbq smoker, that's about 20 gauge steel)

as others have said if you can find a lincoln or miller those are good units
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We're learning together.  Youtube mostly but he does plan to go to welding school.
View Quote
Sounds like you're going to have fun!  Keep in mind welding anything up requires tack welds on both ends to keep the work from moving.

Another tip, welding galvanized metal puts off a deadly gas. Grind off all galvanizing where you will lay the bead and don't breathe the fumes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We did get them down some in price.

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/5526/SGztxM.jpg
View Quote
Cool! Best wishes to him.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My parents had 220 in their garage, my parent bought me when I was 12 a used Lincoln AC/DC stick welder. (Was the last Lincoln I owned). My cousin taught welding and taught me how to weld. 

When I graduated from high school I put enough money together plus got a screaming deal through my cousin for a new Miller HF TIG.
View Quote
TIG?

Never done it, but would love to learn......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top