Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2017 9:39:30 PM EDT
A practice field is being installed behind the new Hall of Fame stadium. I'm curious as to why the field is being built the way it is.  I have no experience in engineering or construction...but figured someone here may have a good explanation for me.  I'm curious.  It looks like they excavated down. Then added a layer of gravel. Compacted it, then added a bunch of polymer arches on top. More gravel is added on top of the arches, and its currently being compacted. I am wondering if this is a drainage strategy. Can anyone shed some light? Pic below, hopefully...

Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Drainage is what it looks like to me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Drainage. Like these.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drainage. Like these.
View Quote
Yup.

Becoming more and more popular now to store water on site and allow it to per back into the soil as opposed to sending it off site for treatment/discharge
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Future site of FEMA camp / mass grave.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been on a field that was constructed that way. It's really amazing just how quickly it will dry out after a torrential downpour. The surrounding area turned to mud, but the field was completely dry shortly after.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yup.

Becoming more and more popular now to store water on site and allow it to per back into the soil as opposed to sending it off site for treatment/discharge
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drainage. Like these.
Yup.

...and of course allows the field to be flat since you don't need to drain water off to one side.

Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yup.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drainage. Like these.
Yup.

It probably still has a positive discharge and allows some percolation.  When real estate is at a premium underground detention is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Interesting. I'd never heard of this type of solution before. Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Underground retainage pound
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Underground retainage pound
View Quote
underground water detention. They can skirt by without a retention pond and the water reclamation district is happy

Edit: I've paved over a few of these in parking lots. Same concept and is happening a lot with car dealerships. More real estate for inventory
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top