Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2017 11:34:24 AM EDT
We renovated our house last year and now we need to add some more lighting that we didn’t think we would need at the time, so…what we have.  We had fans added in two locations and we want (4) can lights added around each, electrician ran 4 wire (white, black, red, ground) to each fan box connected to 2 switches (one for fan, other for light), however our fans are controlled by a remote so the light switch is capped off in the fan box.  I’m comfortable working with electric, but not comfortable enough to figure this out.  My thinking is to hook up the red line from the fan box to the black on the new can light and pig tail the white and ground.  My thinking correct?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#1]
If the red is not being used and is from a switch, yes.
What you are describing is correct.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It's great if your electrician ran a 2nd wire, most don't.

If it's not being used as a traveler for a 3-way switch or something then yes, that's a solid plan.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the black ungrounded conductor is being used to power the remote in the fan box and the wall switch controls power to the remote. Since you added the remote, the second switch and the red wire are no longer used for the fan. If that's a correct interpretation, then yes, you can reconnect the red to the second switch and then the red from the fan box will connect to the black for the can lights. The can lights white will connect to the white in the fan box, same for the bare copper ground.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't that make the neutral wire carry double it's rated capacity?
You end up with two 120V circuits.  Black white and red white.
The red and black are 180 degrees out of phase.
But isn't the white carrying the combined amperages of both circuits?

If you ran a separate circuit from each side of the CB panel, they'd both come with their own neutrals.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like the black ungrounded conductor is being used to power the remote in the fan box and the wall switch controls power to the remote. Since you added the remote, the second switch and the red wire are no longer used for the fan. If that's a correct interpretation, then yes, you can reconnect the red to the second switch and then the red from the fan box will connect to the black for the can lights. The can lights white will connect to the white in the fan box, same for the bare copper ground.
View Quote
Agreed on the above.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Doesn't that make the neutral wire carry double it's rated capacity?
You end up with two 120V circuits.  Black white and red white.
The red and black are 180 degrees out of phase.
But isn't the white carrying the combined amperages of both circuits?

If you ran a separate circuit from each side of the CB panel, they'd both come with their own neutrals.
View Quote
Ahh yes, it is most likely a 2-wire feed to the switch box rather than a multi-wire branch circuit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ahh yes, it is most likely a 2-wire feed to the switch box rather than a multi-wire branch circuit.
View Quote

Upon reflection, I'm guessing it's wired to the ceiling box in the same manner as a 3 way switch, using the 12/3 as a local traveler.
Now that I think of it, that would make the red wire the same as the black, if they are both connected to the 12/2 home run at the wall box.

Which would make this ok as long as it was all treated as a single circuit for capacity calcs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Doesn't that make the neutral wire carry double it's rated capacity? No. What is the load on both wires? What is the circuit rating? 15A? 20A?  What else is on the circuit?
You end up with two 120V circuits.  Black white and red white.If they are attached to the same feeder wire either before are through the switch, then no, they are the same "phase".  
The red and black are 180 degrees out of phase.Not unless each has it's own home run back to the panel
But isn't the white carrying the combined amperages of both circuits?Yes, but for a fan and a set of lights,
it's not going to be anywhere near the circuit capacity.  If it is, you'll be blowing breakers, that's what it's there for.
Besides, it's probably not the only things on the circuit to begin with.  Even if you did have both red and black powered independently, as long as they were on different "phases" and on a two pole breaker where an over load on one would trip the other, they could share the neutral as a Multiwire Branch Circuit

View Quote
I say "phases" because it's not a 2 phase system, it's a split phase system.  But the again, I'm splitting hairs...
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#9]
When he installed the fan box he ran 3 wire to it and told me if the fan we purchase is prewired for a remote that I was to cap off the red wire.  As mentioned two switches were installed, one for fan and the other for the light, he informed me if we get the prewired fan that the light switch will be "dead".
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The only pertinent thing I think should be added to this thread is that on a circuit using two wires originating from different sides of the panel (ie, 240 between them) and sharing a neutral, only the unbalanced load between the two returns on the neutral (white).  In other words, if they are both running at 15 amps, zero current would be on the neutral.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top