Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2017 8:11:16 PM EDT
Is it soldered? Is it a compression fitting?
Attachment Attached File

Looks like I have some plumbing work to do, and would love to replace a few bad valves while I have the water shut off.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Big box store - look for Shark Bite fittings. Done.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It's compression fitting on the line, but the valve itself is soldered.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's compression fitting on the line, but the valve itself is soldered.
View Quote
I concur.
You can "unsweat" those stops if you disassemble them. Probably not a job for a "handyman" though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Specifically which one? There is every kind of joint known to man in that picture, it's almost museum quality. :)
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#5]
If someone you know did any of that work don't let them help anymore

You have a lot of unfucking to do
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Pay no attention to that ugly rubber joint on the drain. I can't fix that until I tear out the wall.

The supply line is original - every valve in the house looks like that, and some of them actually work, more or less. If I sweat that off, can I put a new one on with a compression fitting?

The project I really have to do is replace the valve on a tub that won't stop running. That can't be too hard, can it?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Big box store - look for Shark Bite fittings. Done.
View Quote
I agree.  I have been using shark bite fittings for 4+ yrs to replace any fittings that have been soldered on. 1976 built house with 95-105 lbs of water pressure.  pressure gauged at the fitting. 

I have had nothing but good luck with shark bites.  I did try another brand of fitting - the 1st two leaked . . . went back to the sb fitting - no problems.  just make sure the pipe is prepped right. I plan to NEVER use a soldered fitting again!!

Good Luck op!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pay no attention to that ugly rubber joint on the drain. I can't fix that until I tear out the wall.

The supply line is original - every valve in the house looks like that, and some of them actually work, more or less. If I sweat that off, can I put a new one on with a compression fitting? 

The project I really have to do is replace the valve on a tub that won't stop running. That can't be too hard, can it? 
View Quote
Probably so. I know I could,  but I've been plumbing 40 years .

Wipe what you can of the solder off while it's still melted, then finish cleaning it up real good with some emory cloth. Make sure you tighten the nut on the new stop enough to seat the ferrule.

Take your time, dont panic if it's stubborn, or burn your house down. In fact; make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy. 
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Probably so. I know I could,  but I've been plumbing 40 years .

Wipe what you can of the solder off while it's still melted, then finish cleaning it up real good with some emory cloth. Make sure you tighten the nut on the new stop enough to seat the ferrule.

Take your time, dont panic if it's stubborn, or burn your house down. In fact; make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy. 
View Quote
^^^

Heat the valve, not the pipe.

You won't be able to remove all of the water after removing the valve guts so expect some steam until it all cooks off.

Recommended basin wrench
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, never mind the sink valves, what's going on with my tub valve? How do I get this stem out, and can it even be replaced?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#11]
NVM, lol. The exposed bit just pulls off.  Now I think I can get the the stem wrench in.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Fffffuuuuuuuuuu......

The rest of it came out nice, the seat is frozen in.

ETA - Fixed! Thanks, PB-Blaster!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:44:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't seen an American Standard hydroseal in a long time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I haven't seen an American Standard hydroseal in a long time.
View Quote
Is that a special thing? Lucky for me Home Depot had one replacement in stock.

You should come over. This house is like a time capsule - almost nothing has been updated since it was built in the late 60's. All original electrical fixture, all original plumbing, original boiler, original flooring, wood garage door, etc. I've replaced a bunch of the two-prong outlets and some worn out light switches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top