Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2017 3:01:14 PM EDT
BONDO! 

LOL!  I love saying that.  It is an implied joke, implies that it is crap.

The thing is, I have learned to respect the material and use it where it is appropriate and not use it where it is not a good choice. 

Another thing is, they make products for a lot of different applications. 

I was painting the windows and trim on the exterior of my house and found a section of door sill where the paint had failed and the oak had rotted. 

I cut out all of the soft wood and rebuilt the sill using BONDO!  I made a perfunctory mold to establish the boundaries and contain the material while it cured.  I removed the mold and did some rough trimming of the exterior profile with a blade while the BONDO was still soft.  I will sand to the final profile when it is fully hardened.

If this does not hold up, I will completely remove and replace the sill.

FYI - the rot is on the left edge, where the door hinges are, so there should be no foot traffic on top of the repaired areas.  We will see.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a good plan of action to me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
water putty is a good thing tooAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll have to try some on my next job.  As you know, there is always a next job for a homeowner.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Bondo is great for drywall repairs
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep bondo for repairing wood/pvc trim and covering screw holes is the way to go.

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top