Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#1]
That's on you.  Most dimensional lumber has a small length variation, particularly for larger sizes. 1/4" to 1/2" over stated length is normal.  Under length is very rare.

Fix your problem with a speed square and a circular saw and get on with your project.

eta:  Disregard, I misread your OP as too long.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your original post intimated that you were confused about the 3.5x3.5 part of the dimensions, and the length was just a side issue, so I apologize for being a dick.
View Quote
No problem. I wasn't clear in the OP.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, you guys are really bagging on OP.  Some people don't know which end of a screwdriver to use.  More and more are raised this way every day.  

There are some of us out there that can actually figure things out.  I didn't go to car builder school, yet I am on my 8th project now.  I also remodeled and re-roofed two houses and built three patio covers and a 12x16 shed, along with an 8x12 on another property.  I didn't go to carpenter or framer school.  I have done some nice woodworking projects that turned out very well.  I did actually take a shop class once.  

This thread is like a truck thread.  Arfcommers rag on people about their mall crawling brodozer, yet bag on them just the same if they get it wrinkled or dirty actually using it off road.  

Fucking pathetic. 
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just to clear up some misunderstandings and answer some questions:

1) I know that 4" x 4"s are 3.5" x 3.5". The issue was that all 50 boards were under 6' in length. Way under.

2) Lowes loaded their entire inventory of them into my trailer by forklift. I did not measure them. In 30 years of building things I have never received a board that was too short. They were straight and looked perfect, so I didn't question it.

3) The platform was engineered by a professional and is an easy bolt together project. I am just following the drawings.

4) I have lots of saws but none of them do a good job with 4x4s. The one they gave me works great. I am happy that they owned up to it and did something for me.

5) I've lived in houses down here where the toilets flush with hot water and the sheet rock is as wavy as the ocean. Hiring a "professional" in Florida is not the same as hiring one up north.
View Quote

Beam Saw

If you are trimming a bunch of 4x4s, a miter saw set at 90 with a proper infeed or proper height saw horse will also work.  

A lot of us started without a lot of the "right" tools.  I acquired all of the right tools by the savings on doing projects myself.  

On my most recent project, I bought rough cut lumber posts and beams to do my patio cover extension, from a real lumber yard.  Ordering to dimension didn't matter, the width of the beams did not match my existing construction that I was adding onto.  Maybe the standards changed in 10 years???!!!1111.  This shit was ordered from the mill, came into the lumber yard, and I had to deal with shimming.  There was no way to take it back or delay the project, just like a professional job.  Sometimes you gotta make it work. Still standing ten years later.  I win. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Learn something new everyday, as I've never seen 6' 4x4s as a standard item in my local places.
View Quote
Never heard of a 6'er either. If I wanted 6' 4x4s or whatever, I would buy 12'ers. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Never heard of a 6'er either. If I wanted 6' 4x4s or whatever, I would buy 12'ers. 
View Quote
I actually went there to buy 12 footers and have Lowes cut them with their big saw. The employee said their saw would not cut them and asked why I didn't just buy them pre-cut. Stupid me did as he suggested.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Only on this site could a simple post turn into a shit fest with insults and put downs. Sad how so few people actually take the time to actually read the post before posting abrasive and useless replies.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top