Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2017 5:21:59 PM EDT
So.....first of all I have no clue what I'm doing. That being said I had this hole the appeared/caved in at the end of my driveway. I got all the organic stuff/roots out and filled it up with paver base. I need my paver base but my question lies with the asphalt patch. Do I just pour it out of the bag and level it out the best I can?  Do I need to put something between the paver base and the asphalt patch?

Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
What is paver base? The proper material to use is called crusher run which is also called ABC this is a crush rock 3/4 to 1 inch in size that also has rock dust and small chips mixed in. When it is put down it is wetted and compacted and once dry sets up very tight/hard then your pavement can be put down. If you are using the cold patch bag mix for your local home improvement store it will never be right.

Having used that stuff if it were me I would pour concrete dyed to match in the hole.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
If it were me, I'd go ahead and put cold patch on it.  Use a tamper, and go easy not to mound it up too high out of hole.  You might not get it to flatten out enough to level it.   I put a piece of plywood over my patch and drove over it with my truck since I wasn't going to rent a compactor.    Mine is mounded up a little, but still holding after a few years.  

Go easy on it as you try and get it to match the level of your driveway.  You can always add another thin layer, but scraping it out if you layed too much will be a pain.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is not too big a hole, Lowes sells some stuff in a mylar bag.
Clean out hole, add good base as needed, and clean some more/ blow it out.
I paint surrounding asphalt with diesel, patch, leaving it proud, then lay a board over patch and drive over to compact
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is paver base? The proper material to use is called crusher run which is also called ABC this is a crush rock 3/4 to 1 inch in size that also has rock dust and small chips mixed in. When it is put down it is wetted and compacted and once dry sets up very tight/hard then your pavement can be put down. If you are using the cold patch bag mix for your local home improvement store it will never be right.

Having used that stuff if it were me I would pour concrete dyed to match in the hole.
View Quote
Paver base is another name for Traffic Bond. Thanks for all the input folks.

Edit with picture added.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X3RFLo]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Item 4, Paver  base, road base, crusher run...I think its all the same. Id pack the hole and top with Asphalt patch
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Paver base is another name for Traffic Bond. Thanks for all the input folks.

Edit with picture added.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4341/36131949490_0598d3e14b_z.jpg[url=https://flic.kr/p/X3RFLo]
View Quote
After seeing that pic you have bigger problems than just a pot hole and any fix you try will be short lived requiring a fix of some sort again. My advice as  someone who  works in the grading business for many years in heavy highway, lot clearing and grading and drive ways and subdivision roads is to tear out that whole area where the pavement is cracked. I would then remove the soft material and replace with rock and then repave or pour concrete don't be surprise if you have to under cut several feet before you find solid ground.

I am actually doing this very thing at work right now where I am having to undercut a road way about 8 feet to get all the bad material out and replace with 3 feet of large class 1 rock about 300 pounds each. On top of that will be a couple feet of class b rip rap. After that will come 3 feet of compacted dirt then the base stone and pavement.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a section of the old septic tank that caved in that is at least 60 years old and hasn't been utilized since the early 80's. I'm not loosing any sleep over it.  The tank was filled but there might have been a gap and with all the spring rain.........shit happens.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#8]
call local paving company.  pay them $500 and have them do it some random day they have leftover hot mix
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
call local paving company.  pay them $500 and have them do it some random day they have leftover hot mix
View Quote
That's your best bet. Offer me $500 cash and you bet your ass I'm coming with my left over mix at the end of the day. It'll take me 15 minutes to fix that.

Better yet, see if the local plant will sell you a 5 gallon bucket full. Cold patch is garbage. Tamp it all down with a hand tamp
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's your best bet. Offer me $500 cash and you bet your ass I'm coming with my left over mix at the end of the day. It'll take me 15 minutes to fix that.

Better yet, see if the local plant will sell you a 5 gallon bucket full. Cold patch is garbage. Tamp it all down with a hand tamp
View Quote
All this patching is good for nothing unless the Op fixes the underlying  problem first.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

All this patching is good for nothing unless the Op fixes the underlying  problem first.
View Quote
This.. Cut about 2 foot out all around that hole in a nice square... Add some crush and run, tamp it, wet it, tamp it again let it dry.. Then pave it..
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks for the advice. I spent $65 and about 2 hours of my time and fixed it myself.  I appreciate the input of all here!!! Thanks folks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top