Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/30/2017 10:26:29 AM EDT
Recently bought a rural home with tons of trees.  I'm trying to get prepared for winter and just general tree removal/firewood.  Son I started the hunt for a new chainsaw and am torn between the Stihl and Echo brands.  I almost pulled the trigger on a Stihl 18 inch model but decided to shop around and compare. Problem is most people you ask are just brand fans and have never used both and are loyal to one brand cause that's what they have.  So I come to you all for advice. My needs are basic, I'm no pro tree guy but just need one to have around. That being said I like owning quality rugged tools and want pro grade.  I need at least an 18 inch bar and this saw will see occasional use.  The choices are between these two due to budget constraints.

Stihl 18 inch
MS 251 WOOD BOSS

Attachment Attached File

Echo 20 inch
Echo CS-450-20
Attachment Attached File

Price being equal I'm leaning toward the Echo.  Has a longer bar and better warranty. What's your thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I wore a stihl 021 out. Good saw for the most part. I am now using a husky 445. Never had an echo except  for a pole saw. All the majors seem ok and about equal. Use synthetic
oil and quality gas. I always run mine dry at the end of the day. Seem to gum up less that way.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Your the second to tell me about Husky.  Never heard of them before.  Do the box stores stock them? 

ETA:  Are you referring to husqvarna?  I'm an idiot
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#3]
The ms251 is not a pro saw, its in their homeowner line.  If you want pro go with the ms261.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to do maintenance of hiking trails and the Stihl MS260 was our saw of choice for clearing/felling trees. It was a great saw.

However, for around the house, I have an Echo (I believe it's a CS450 but I can check later to confirm). I've used it to remove a 30'+ tree from the back yard as well as clearing storm damage around the neighborhood. It's been a great saw as well and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Echo.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#5]
For what you're going to do with it I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I am personally a Husq fan as well and my 445 has been amazing. It's an 18" bar and since I burn wood for heat, I use it moderately heavily. I've had it for 7 years and have never done a lick of maintenance to it with exception to cleaning the air filter from time to time. It still fires up right away every time.

As for running it dry like the other poster mentioned, I suggest against that. If it sits dry for long periods (which inevitably happens) the lines and plastics are more suceptible to dry rotting and cracking. What I would suggest, instead, is one of two things.

A) Buy the pre-mixed ethanol free fuel mixtures and make sure it is full when stored. Let it run to make sure there are no voids in the fuel system before storage.

Or

B) If you have a gas station near you that sells ethanol free gas, buy that and make your fuel mix with that.

That is sound advice for any small engine you go with, whether it be a chainsaw or weedwacker, etc. I do this, and like I said, 7 years no maintenance. I can walk out there and pick it up after 6 months idle and fire it right up. No Stabil, no nothing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your the second to tell me about Husky.  Never heard of them before.  Do the box stores stock them? 

ETA:  Are you referring to husqvarna?  I'm an idiot
View Quote
Lol, yes, husqvarna.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I own both. if you have a good dealer then buy the Stihl. 

I have always used Echo for trimmers and small top handle saws, Stihl for larger saws.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Some of my friends are loggers and my son is a logger and none have ever owned an echo. Some used Stihl 30 years ago. I know a farmer that swears by Stihl. All the loggers I know now are using Huskies.

I had some Homelites got tired of those and bought the biggest Jonsred they made. My reasoning was let the saw do the work. It would cut circles around the homies. Since I moved to the middle of the desert I haven't had much need for a saw.

My advice is, if you have a lot of work to do buy the biggest best saw you can afford, your back will thank you.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#9]
This is logging country where I am, the saws are predominately Stihl, and Husky's running a close second, (they would be closer if the Husky shop owner wasn't an asshole).

Try to purchase your saw from a shop not a box store, information and help will be a lot easier to find.

MS251 is a good saw for the money and around the house.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#10]
After briefly researching the "HUSKY" brand saws I found one that really looks good to me and is probably more than I need but that's fine with me.  If I've learned anything in my life the hard way it's to go bigger than you "think" you need.  Any experience with this saw?

Husqvarna 455 Series 55.5cc 2-Cycle 20-in Gas ChainsawModel # 966037320
Attachment Attached File

If this one fits the bill I think I'll go grab it today.  I can get it locally for just about 400.00 out the door. DEFINATELY the edge of my budget but it's got great reviews.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
After briefly researching the "HUSKY" brand saws I found one that really looks good to me and is probably more than I need but that's fine with me.  If I've learned anything in my life the hard way it's to go bigger than you "think" you need.  Any experience with this saw?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/366189/024761034548lg-266706.JPG

If this one fits the bill I think I'll go grab it today.  I can get it locally for just about 400.00 out the door. DEFINATELY the edge of my budget but it's got great reviews.
View Quote
Perfect saw, IMO. I misspoke earlier. I have the 450 and my buddy has the 455, the exact one you just linked. We bought them at the exact same time, and I can mirror what I said about mine about his. I wish I bought the 455, not that I have any complaints about my 450, but that 2" on the bar makes a big difference when you're cutting bigger stuff.

Do it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a MS 261 and a small Echo 14" bar. The one thing about the Echo is how easy it starts. Once warmed up the Echo will start with one shop quick tug. I like that when you are up on a 14' ladder or climbing up in a tree. I thought it it was just kind of imagination until I was talking to the owner of a local power equipment dealer, she said the Echo beats any else for ease of starting. Now for just plain bullet proof you caught beat Stihl, most rental yards have Stihl tools for rentals

What makes the difference is your local dealer to service your equipment. Go in meet with them see if they know how to service their customer. Stihl, Echo and Husky are all good equipment, it is the dealer that makes or breaks what you buy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#13]
You will do fine with that Husky, I was a logger for many years, we used and went with them all, Pioneer, Johnsered, Poulen etc, etc etc.
Stihl is the best in my opinion with Husky a close second. Echo is not in the same field.
Consider a pro model, they really are different and by from a dealer not a chain store.
A pro model Stihl or Husky,you will be handing down to your son some day, they have bearings and harden parts that the homeowner models dont.
I haven't shopped saws in a few years, the smallest pro model may be out of your budget.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You will do fine with that Husky, I was a logger for many years, we used and went with them all, Pioneer, Johnsered, Poulen etc, etc etc.
Stihl is the best in my opinion with Husky a close second. Echo is not in the same field.
Consider a pro model, they really are different and by from a dealer not a chain store.
A pro model Stihl or Husky,you will be handing down to your son some day, they have bearings and harden parts that the homeowner models dont.
I haven't shopped saws in a few years, the smallest pro model may be out of your budget.
View Quote
From what I have found the Stihl pro models are out of my budget.  Which is about $450 max.  The Huskqvarna I am looking at is a "pro" model if I'm reading it right. My grandfather runs a tree remival business and he reccomends Stihl also.  If I could find a 20 inch Stihl pro model for 450 or less I'd probably go with it. But I can't seem to find one in that price range.  Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place   
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
From what I have found the Stihl pro models are out of my budget.  Which is about $450 max.  The Huskqvarna I am looking at is a "pro" model if I'm reading it right. My grandfather runs a tree remival business and he reccomends Stihl also.  If I could find a 20 inch Stihl pro model for 450 or less I'd probably go with it. But I can't seem to find one in that price range.  Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place   
View Quote
Sometimes my friend it is worth giving up some other stuff(dinner out for a few weeks etc) to break the budget and get a quality piece of equipment.
You have 2+ professionals giving you a recommendation, you may be best served to go with it somehow. I am not familiar with pro model Huskies so I can not to speak to the difference between the pro and homeowners models.
On the other hand if you feel you will cut these trees down around the house and not use the saw for the next 3 years then a non-pro model will work just fine. But keep in mind, there is a reason why the pro models at auctions I attend go for really big bucks and the homeowners models hardly sell. Pro models can be re-built over and over again and home owner models are considered throw away engines.
Good luck man, you are on the right track now I feel.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#16]
As a former forester, I worke with loggers all the time who were mostly Stihl guys. Teh ywould debate with thers about Husky and Jonsered. I have owned and run Stihls for 30 some years and they have been great- only really broke one when it was run with no mix in the gas. That one died and was not recovered.

Despite my love of all things Stihl (and its the only brand I would buy except for a top handle saw), I have always lived by an excellent Stihl dealer. I think the big 3 are all equal enough based on your uses, it will come down to dealer support/ mechanic quality if you have an issue. By from a delaer and not a box store. 
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Search out a good used ms261. Pro saws have more HP, and they are lighter.

If you can I'd also search out the ms261-cm. It's the Mtronic version. New they are $620 with an 18" bar.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I certainly appreciate all the info and advice. At this point, unless I come up on a really good deal, I'm probably gonna sleep on it and pick up the husqvarna 455 on Monday.  I think its as close as I can get to a pro rated saw for the money.  I have a lot of things to do in order to prep for winter months (generator, parts, etc.) And I can't afford to squeeze another penny past 450.00

I had initially set my budget at 350.00 after talking to the local Stihl guy.  But I quickly realized that I needed to go bigger.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#19]
The husq 455 is an AWESOME saw. I have one. Husq has 4-5 lines of saws, 1 being consumer, 5 being pro. The farm tough is right at 4. I LOVE my husqs. GO BUY IT.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The husq 455 is an AWESOME saw. I have one. Husq has 4-5 lines of saws, 1 being consumer, 5 being pro. The farm tough is right at 4. I LOVE my husqs. GO BUY IT.
View Quote
Good to know. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/366189/024761034548lg-266706.JPG

View Quote
I have a 455, it has been a great saw. CPO Outlets has a reconditioned 455 with a 20" bar for $319.99. The one I got from them several years ago looked brand new, even though it was sold as reconditioned.

They seem to come in both 3/8 and .325 pitch, I'd favor the .325 so that you're dragging a smaller tooth through the wood.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
From what I have found the Stihl pro models are out of my budget.  Which is about $450 max.  The Huskqvarna I am looking at is a "pro" model if I'm reading it right.  
View Quote
FYI
the Husq 455 is a "clamshell" engine saw, just like the Stihl MS251.  it's not a pro saw, with "jug-on-cases" engine construction.  that said, for what you are doing (occasional homeowner use) a good quality saw from either Husq or Stihl will be plenty.  zillions of commercial tree service guys use the MS250/1 for "ground work" -- bucking and lopping up felled trees.  

ps
get some chaps and wear your eye-pro.  chainsaw accidents require a lot of stitches.  

the basic problem with a chainsaw is that it doesn't cut you in a nice, easy to reassemble fashion like a sharp knife does. instead it *removes* a quarter inch wide swath, tearing everything away in the process, however deep it goes in, and leaving behind a debris field of dirt, sawdust, and oil. there are very few "easy/cheap" chainsaw accidents, the average accident will take about 120 stitches to close up and you'll be left with a forever reminder because of the missing skin, ligaments, muscle tissue, etc.

btw:
http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?catid=12177
good source of PPE stuff and they have periodical sales on gear such as chaps.
e.g.
http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety-First-Aid/Chainsaw-Protective-Clothing/Chainsaw-Chaps/WoodlandPRO-Chainsaw-Chaps/WoodlandPRO-Forest-Green-Apron-Chainsaw-Safety-Chaps.axd

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
now we are talking pro saw!  

i have a 5105 to go along with my Stihl, and the 5105 is a strong, well-built saw with a good anti-vibe system.
one thing about Dolmars: somehow they are super easy to start.  hot, cold, it doesn't matter, they start.

however, the OP probably has a Husq and Stihl dealer nearby, and probably not so much a Dolmar dealer.  
Dolmar is in transition, as the Makita takeover is full scale now.  
Dolmar will still make the saws, however they will be branded Makita and be serviced by Makita service centers.

for more info and pictures of the Makita branded Dolmars, see
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1922835_CHAINSAWS--And-a-rant-from-a-pro-saw-user-.html&page=5#i62685823

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The ms251 is not a pro saw, its in their homeowner line.  If you want pro go with the ms261.
View Quote
This, and you can't go wrong with Stihl... just picked up a second one recently for limbing work.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for all of the advice. There's DEFINATELY some good info in here.  I had intended on picking up the husky 455 yesterday evening but my oldest needed a TV mounted so I'm hoping to grab it after work today.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I would suggest going with a professional model Stihl or Husky.  I have a Stihl 362 with the M-tronic which I really like.  It will last me the rest of my life.  Buy a little more saw than you think you will need.  It's easier to put a smaller bar on a bigger saw rather than the other way around.  Don't skimp on chaps, helmet, and eye protection.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#28]
OP,,,I had STIHL products in one of our businesses for years. The service guy needed LOTS of other stuff to work on as the STIHL stuff just ran and ran and ran and rarely came back for quality issues other than gummed up carbs.

I have needs similar to what you described and have three different saws. 1) MS 270 2) MS 180 3) Battery Powered STIHL  for the wife.

All of these are 7 years old ( except the battery unit) and have performed flawlessly for me. I am not a logger,,just a guy that NEEDS a saw that works when it HAS to. I made my choice based on true customer interactions over a long period of time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Also ethanol free fuel only.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I was looking at the Makita branded Dolmars that Home Depot is selling off rental. Looks like it might be a really good deal. 
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:21:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Whatever you choose, run ethanol free gas
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I can only speak for the brand I've been using, which is Stihl. Have a Farmboss chainsaw (MS290 I think), and a Stihl weed trimmer, and even though I take very good care of them and run ethanol free gas only, both are a pain in the ass to start. Also, my Stihl Farmboss gets bogged down easily when cutting. It just doesn't have the umph I need (even with a brand new chain), and I'm mostly just logging 1'-2' diameter poplar and American elm trees. My next chainsaw will be a Husqvarna. 
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I can only speak for the brand I've been using, which is Stihl. Have a Farmboss chainsaw (MS290 I think), and a Stihl weed trimmer, and even though I take very good care of them and run ethanol free gas only, both are a pain in the ass to start. Also, my Stihl Farmboss gets bogged down easily when cutting. It just doesn't have the umph I need (even with a brand new chain), and I'm mostly just logging 1'-2' diameter poplar and American elm trees. My next chainsaw will be a Husqvarna. 
View Quote
Get a tuneup.  Or something else is wrong.

I have an 029 Super (forunner to the MS290, with slightly bigger jug).  It takes a couple of pulls to start (assuming I don't forget about the chain brake), but with a sharp chain it will go through maple like a ginsu through a tomato.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Husky XP series
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine has been bullet proof.

Drained the fuel (& bar oil), ran till stall, oil in the cylinder, and a couple pulls.

It started over one year latter with just a couple pulls.

The only complaint I have is that some chains do not have well hardened cutting teeth.

I would rather have to work harder to sharpen (even using grinding instead of filing) than have to change chains after a few hours of cutting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Mine has been bullet proof.

Drained the fuel (& bar oil), ran till stall, oil in the cylinder, and a couple pulls.

It started over one year latter with just a couple pulls.

The only complaint I have is that some chains do not have well hardened cutting teeth.

I would rather have to work harder to sharpen (even using grinding instead of filing) than have to change chains after a few hours of cutting.
View Quote
Sharpening takes about 2-3 minutes, and is a nice breather from cutting (for me). The Pferd 2in1 file system is the cat's meow, or a dremel with the correct size stone.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I recommend the Husky 346xp with a 16" or 18" bar. It's a commercial grade saw. I used one everyday professionally when I was doing tree work. It's great for groundwork. It was even my main climbing saw. It's a great all around saw that will cover 95% of what you'll encounter. The other 5% you'll need a bigger saw.

Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#38]
135, 55 and 562XP
Attachment Attached File

Get all the safety gear, and watch the sthil and husky YouTube vids.  Even with experience, it is good to refresh.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
135, 55 and 562XP
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38726/20170613-180718-270722.JPG

Get all the safety gear, and watch the sthil and husky YouTube vids.  Even with experience, it is good to refresh.
View Quote
How do you like that Sugi Hara bar? Is it worth it?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd get something else. The Chainsaw Guy (Saw King) from the Myrtle Creek saw shop has seen a bunch fail, and they evidently aren't covering them under warranty.  The guy has worked on something like 200,000 saws in the Pacific Northwest, so I'd say he is E.F. Hutton.

That being said, I have a Sugi Hara 36" bar I run on my Stihl 660, and it has been fine (very low hours) so far. I bought it before I saw the YouTube video.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#41]
The Chainsaw Guy Shop Talk Quality Chainsaw Bars
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow, no shit. I've seen a few lately and wondered what the advantage is. My stock one is still just fine after years and years, I guess I'll just stick with them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have not had a chance to actually use it yet, though it was 9 or 10 ounces lighter and seems finished well.

I see the video below and I find it interesting that on all the arborist / chainsaw forums and research I did, that cracking is NOT a common problem I read about, or I would not have bought the bar.

I am not making any inferences about the poster of the video or the maker of the video, but vertical cracks at that location on the bar would indicate to me, very high side loads on the bar, which is counter to any method I am aware of for using a chainsaw.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#44]
I bought an Echo CS 400 last year and it has been great for casual use. I've cut up 4-5 trees this year with no issues. Starts almost instantly and runs strong!
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have not had a chance to actually use it yet, though it was 9 or 10 ounces lighter and seems finished well.

I see the video below and I find it interesting that on all the arborist / chainsaw forums and research I did, that cracking is NOT a common problem I read about, or I would not have bought the bar.

I am not making any inferences about the poster of the video or the maker of the video, but vertical cracks at that location on the bar would indicate to me, very high side loads on the bar, which is counter to any method I am aware of for using a chainsaw.
View Quote
He has another video talking about lightweight bars, and recommends the Oregon and Stihl bars. Says he hasn't seen many problems with these bars, and that those companies will stand behind their bars.

All fellers I have seen leave the powerhead hanging by the bar when they duck around to check how close the backcut is to the notch. This could be the source of the lateral load. I'll try to find that other video.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#46]
The Chainsaw Guy Shop Talk, Straight Talk on some crooked Professional Chainsaw Bar manufacturers
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I have similar use to OP and bought a reconditioned 18" husky 445 from CPO 4 years back and it's been great.

Like $175 shipped

Run canned gas and any old bar oil.

It goes through bar oil quickly and has no adjustment for how much it dispenses.

I think it's hard to start when cold and can get heavy after hours of cutting.

My FIL wore out two stihls in short time, he got tired of getting them repaired and bought a husky to replace.  He bought from a dealer not a box store and they knew his requirements which is 100% burning for heat and clearing his 20 acres of diseased trees.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Some pics of projects completed with my reconditioned husky 445.
When I'm cutting--even small jobs--I always wear boots, chaps, and a helmet with visor.

Line of ten pine trees I planted about 1986...

Maple I planted (too close to house) back in the 80's (still have one more trunk to cut off--just taking a break):

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#49]
the trunk of that maple should make a killer table base
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I thought about it but traded for stump grinding and the guy cut it off and I moved it to a burn pile.  It still has about 1/4 of its mass to burn
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top