Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2017 1:10:16 PM EDT
I have a Rheem Critition heater/air conditioner not powering up. I have 110 to the power control board. Had a transformer go bad a bit over a month ago. The transformer is not putting out 24 volts, but both primary and secondary sides of the transformer are not open. I thought it needed a new control board at that point so replaced it. Still doesn't power up.

Anyone have any ideas? This is my upstairs unit and I'm the only one that goes up there much.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You answered your own question.

If the transformer has 110 going in and 0 coming out you need a transformer. Buy one with the same VA rating and get one with a circuit breaker built in
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You answered your own question.

If the transformer has 110 going in and 0 coming out you need a transformer. Buy one with the same VA rating and get one with a circuit breaker built in
View Quote
I put a second transformer in, I have another because they are so cheap. Local place sells them for $11, so it is worth keeping a spare around. I'll throw the extra one in tomorrow morning and let you know.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I checked this afternoon, had 120 V at the terminals from the board. So I took a new transformer and wired it directly into the terminals on the 120 V power and on 24 V control, turned it on and it started working. Went through 3 transformers, I'll see how long this one lasts.

Tested it for a bit last night, blower motor on all the time, A/C unit doesn't turn on and thermostat does not control anything.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Check for any fuses on the board.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check for any fuses on the board.
View Quote
Found a blown 3 amp fuse, one of the wires to the t'stat was slightly loose tightened it and replaced the fuse. Been good the last 2 days
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top