Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2017 11:40:28 PM EDT
Kenmore HT5 (something made by Whilpool.) Unit is 15 years old.

Unit turns on, allows you to select what cycle but when you press the start button you only hear a click. Drum nor heat start, reading online it sounds like the heater motor is shot.

Worth repairing it or would the costs be better put towards a new unit?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:11:55 AM EDT
[#1]
possibly door switch or control panel
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:05:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Shot in the dark, since I don't remember the exact symptoms, but some of these Kenmore/Whirlpool's from this era had a problem with a relay frying.  Pull the top off the dryer, look at the control board mounted inside (not the front control panel, which is really just a bunch of switches).  If it's the relay, it should be pretty obvious... little white rectangular box that looks like it got way too hot, scorching the PC board around it.  I happened to have a "parts" washer of the same general type (don't buy these, btw ) I could scavenge the relay from, and got mine back up and running.  If that turns out to be what it is, shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement relay.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure the rubber band didn't break. Easy fix
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The click is the relay, check door switch, belt, if electric the high limit or thermal fuse. If the relay is bad you'll need the entire board so always check the cheap parts before you order a part for $150 bucks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top