Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2017 2:14:24 PM EDT
I am getting hardwood floors installed.  Right now the floors squeak terribly.  Just about the whole floor squeaks. I currently have carpet down. Should I just cut the carpet and fold it back then go to work with my driver and a box of screws?  What type screws should I use? Deck screws, drywall screws?  How long do they need to be?  What kind of spacing would be recommended?  The house was built in the late 80's and has particle board over plywood as the floor.  

Thanks for your help.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The sub floor should be glued to the substrate or joists.  All the screws in the world will not fix that.  Do it right or do it again.  

My suggestion is a louder stereo.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
First try baby powder, spread it around and get it between the cracks then clean up what you see. If that don't work run some screws from under the floor into the hardwood floor
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#4]
No drywall screws, the shaft is too small and brittle.  

Use some type of deck screw.  The upper portion of the screw shaft that when fully seated should be smooth.  IE- if you have 1.25 of subfloor the shaft should be smooth for 1.25" at the head of the screw.  One of the advantages of that method is that you'll feel the screw continue to spin if you miss a joist.  It's preferred to have about 1.25" to1.5" of penetration in the floor joist so add the two together. Spacing, about 8".  

When you have a chance google "flooring screw gun". You can rent or buy one.

Is this area over a crawl space and is it damp?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really hate houses that were built when it was trendy to put particle board over plywood.

I would try to locate the joists, and run decking screws through both layers to see if it helps.
View Quote
You beat.  Took me a 1/2 hour for my post with the phone ringing here
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No drywall screws, the shaft is too small and brittle.  

Use some type of deck screw.  The upper portion of the screw shaft that when fully seated should be smooth.  IE- if you have 1.25 of subfloor the shaft should be smooth for 1.25" at the head of the screw.  One of the advantages of that method is that you'll feel the screw continue to spin if you miss a joist.  It's preferred to have about 1.25" to1.5" of penetration in the floor joist so add the two together. Spacing, about 8".  

When you have a chance google "flooring screw gun". You can rent or buy one.

Is this area over a crawl space and is it damp?
View Quote
this is a raised ranch, so I do have access to part of joists and subfloor over the garage.  It is not damp at all.  After googling the problem, I am thinking of injecting construction in between the joists and subfloor.  My thinking is that I should glue it after I screw it down.  In the other area where I do not have access to the joists and subfloor, I will just have to screw it down.  Does that sound like a plan?  
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am getting hardwood floors installed.  Right now the floors squeak terribly.  Just about the whole floor squeaks. I currently have carpet down. Should I just cut the carpet and fold it back then go to work with my driver and a box of screws?  What type screws should I use? Deck screws, drywall screws?  How long do they need to be?  What kind of spacing would be recommended?  The house was built in the late 80's and has particle board over plywood as the floor.  

Thanks for your help.  
View Quote

That's what I did. Two inch screws everywhere it squeaked. Then flooring over it. Squeaks gone.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone try one of these kits?
Amazon Product
  • Eliminates squeaks between floor boards and joists
  • Engineered plastic alignment depth tool
  • Can be used on carpeted floors

Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Your subfloor is squeaking?

If so and you have access to the under-side of the subfloor it's an easy fix. Apply a bead of liquid nail along the floor joist where it meets the subfloor. This will fix it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
this is a raised ranch, so I do have access to part of joists and subfloor over the garage.  It is not damp at all.  After googling the problem, I am thinking of injecting construction in between the joists and subfloor.  My thinking is that I should glue it after I screw it down.  In the other area where I do not have access to the joists and subfloor, I will just have to screw it down.  Does that sound like a plan?  
View Quote
Yes.  At this point it's your best option.  

It could be a PITA locating the joist because you have two layers of floor but it's doable.  A chalk line helps.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone try one of these kits?
www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IK8YE
View Quote
Never have but I watched an episode of This Old House and Tom did a demo.  Looked like a good solution for a carpeted floor.  The cost is a little painful but cheaper than a new carpet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top