Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2017 12:50:27 AM EDT
Hey guys replaced my front door brick molding when I found a bunch of rot while I was putting up a new storm door. I replaced it with PVC brick mold and it turned out real nice. Before I paint it and hang the storm door I need to fill the screw holes. Ive read everything from using regular spackling to Bondo to latex caulk.

Haven't been able to find any product that specifically says its for PVC trim.

Anyone have any input?

J-
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I checked to see if Fipon had a product, but it doesn't look like it.
Here's a video from Fine Homebuilding on how to spot the nail/screw holes on pvc trim:  Video
See if that will help.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#2]
NOT regular spackle.

Depending on your level of OCD:

-latex caulk
-DAP painters putty (or window glaze)
-bondo

If you need a glass smooth surface then bondo is your answer. Painter's putty works well but you will see where the nail holes are if you look closely. Caulk is a quick and dirty hack if you don't have the other two.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Is latex caulk paintable? I thought you needed to use acrylic if you wanted to paint it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is latex caulk paintable? I thought you needed to use acrylic if you wanted to paint it.
View Quote
Latex painters caulk is paintable. Most silicone caulks are not but that is changing. Read the labels to make certain of what your buying.
I'd avoid caulk as it's not real easy to smooth out flush with a nail/screw hole. And you may get sink with one application.

I'd use an interior/exterior wood filler. I'm guessing a .25" screw hole so probably two applications with sanding between. The last coat should be sanded with 220 grit and you'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Poly Seam Seal
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info guys. Think I may just bondo it since its my front door/main entry. Seems like bondo would be the best bet for as close to totally hiding the holes once painted.

J-
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]
We have been using a DAP product called Fast'N Final for years.

It's got vinyl in it,and seems to bond to the PVC better.
Make sure it's for Exterior.

Apply it a little "proud" of the hole or repair,then sand it smooth.

I like to "spot prime" it with an alkyd primer,although DAP says it's not necessary,
but it makes for a better finish.

As for painting,

for years we used a primer called "STIX",that's supposed to bond to anything.
But I could take my fingernail and dig right down to bare PVC.

Last job we used a Benjamin Moore primer that really stuck.
Can't recall the name,but the guys at the store recommended it over STIX,and it works.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Latex painters caulk is paintable. Most silicone caulks are not but that is changing. Read the labels to make certain of what your buying.
I'd avoid caulk as it's not real easy to smooth out flush with a nail/screw hole. And you may get sink with one application.

I'd use an interior/exterior wood filler. I'm guessing a .25" screw hole so probably two applications with sanding between. The last coat should be sanded with 220 grit and you'll be good to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are "siliconized latex" caulks that are paintable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top