Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2017 2:38:18 PM EDT
Got this from a buddy (free). Upon inspection, the motor needs a new carb and tank, about $120. I have another, without an engine for parts. Are these worth saving? I have another tiller I use for the garden, so this is not needed. But, as far as age, do these have value? Or should I just set it by the curb?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
That's an old one, older than mine for sure by the wheels.    They run forever if you keep oil in the transmission and the tines sharp.   Might be in for a belt and reverse puck for your troubles.    I think these are so much better than the new ones.  But the folks that built that are long gone.  

If you want to kick it to the curb and are near DFW or the 35 corridor let me know.  I could use the spares.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's an old one, older than mine for sure by the wheels.    They run forever if you keep oil in the transmission and the tines sharp.   Might be in for a belt and reverse puck for your troubles.    I think these are so much better than the new ones.  But the folks that built that are long gone.  

If you want to kick it to the curb and are near DFW or the 35 corridor let me know.  I could use the spares.
View Quote
If I weren't South of Houston, it'd (they would) be yours.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Got this from a buddy (free). Upon inspection, the motor needs a new carb and tank, about $120. I have another, without an engine for parts. Are these worth saving? I have another tiller I use for the garden, so this is not needed. But, as far as age, do these have value? Or should I just set it by the curb?
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u603/teufelhunden1990/20170612_132806_zpsemvl0mi1.jpg
View Quote

Looks like an old Troy-Bilt Horse? Plenty of replacement parts available and you could repower it for a few hundred dollars. Did it just a few years ago and the tiller is as good as new.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looks like an old Troy-Bilt Horse? Plenty of replacement parts available and you could repower it for a few hundred dollars. Did it just a few years ago and the tiller is as good as new.
View Quote
I'm still tossing it around. I have no shortage of other projects waiting. Far as I know, it needs carb, tank, and fluid changes.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Here in upstate NY, those old tillers go for BIG bucks. The new stuff is just pure junk. Especially front tine tillers.

I'd rebuild it and keep it for another 50 years.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Restore it to its glory!
Bright troy red, with shiny chrome pr nickle nuts n bolts.
Willing to bet those control knobs are same thread as vehicle shifter knobs.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]
OP yes I think so,  well worth the money

especially if it was free.

I would rebuild it in a second.  and paint it red

looks good
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
That thing looks heavy duty. I say fix it and resell it if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]
It's nearly impossible to kill an old Troy-Bilt Horse tiller (like you have) and that is why they sell for BIG bucks around here. It is absolutely worth fixing up. If you don't have the time to do it, somebody does, so please don't scrap it...
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#10]
When my dad passed away, my mom sold his old 6HP Horse for as much as he'd paid for it twenty five years earlier. Those things are beasts. I'd rehab it.
That thing got a lot of use. He wore out at least two sets of tines, and i made a bit of money tilling gardens around town too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought one without an engine for $25.  Put a HF 6.5 hp engine on ot, a new belt, and a reverse disk. Changed the gear oil.  Less than $150 total and a couple hours.  Works as good as new.  Sold the front tine tiller to a friend, who then borrowed the rear tine tiller for a new garden plot.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:02:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:06:11 AM EDT
[#13]
replace the POS Tecumseh with a Honda motor and rock on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top