Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2017 11:50:09 PM EDT
Had one spring break last week and replaced it this weekend.
replaced both left and right springs. followed instructions and alligned the drums when the door was down and not under any tension on springs.
then wind springs equal left and right.

right now it will not pull the door all the way up but it will not stay down  when the door is brought to a complete close.

what gives?
I have replaced a half dozen springs before this one and never had a issue.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Stop points off on the closer?
Stopping too soon on the way up, then attempting to over travel on the down and causing the door to reverse.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#2]
weird from the obvious "is it the right spring ?"I

I'm not an expert, but the ones I have done seems to require a couple dozen cycles to 'loosen' up and then you can do a good final adjustment.

Also if you are still having a lot of trouble you could lube the coils a bit and see if they slide against each other better.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop points off on the closer?
Stopping too soon on the way up, then attempting to over travel on the down and causing the door to reverse.
View Quote
When I set it up originally how I had set up the other half dozen spring replacements I'm done to my lifetime, I said I wear the spring tension was just enough to make sure that the door would not go up on its own or stay down on its own basically 0 wait. However the problem with that is when it went all the way up the drums would become a Rat's Nest as it did not have tension on the cable as it got to the last 90 or 95% of the height of the door

Today I will double check the Springs to make sure they're the correct ones it's either a brown one and a white one. I got the brown one to replace the springs that are on the door
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#4]
how many revolutions did you put on the springs to get your door to "neutral weight"

Sounds like maybe the wrong spring and the one you have is completely unwinding before the door gets to the top.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
how many revolutions did you put on the springs to get your door to "neutral weight"

Sounds like maybe the wrong spring and the one you have is completely unwinding before the door gets to the top.
View Quote
25-28  1/4 rotations
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Had one spring break last week and replaced it this weekend.
replaced both left and right springs. followed instructions and alligned the drums when the door was down and not under any tension on springs.
then wind springs equal left and right.

right now it will not pull the door all the way up but it will not stay down  when the door is brought to a complete close.

what gives?
I have replaced a half dozen springs before this one and never had a issue.
View Quote

You have the wrong spring if it wont open the door all the way and yet is to much when it is closed. Check the new ones against the old ones and make sure they are the same length, same OD and that the wire size is the same.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

25-28  1/4 rotations
View Quote
how tall is your door?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
how tall is your door?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

25-28  1/4 rotations
how tall is your door?
7' i believe. i need to get a tape measure to confirm.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

7' i believe. i need to get a tape measure to confirm.
View Quote
If it is 7 foot you should need about 7 1/2 winds or 30 quarter turns. The best way to keep track of your winds is to use a piece of soap stone and draw a straight line from one end of the spring to the other and count the wraps as you wind. I am 99 percent sure based on you op that you have the wrong springs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top