Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2017 9:48:11 AM EDT
So i recently replaced my suspension on my 2007 Tundra.  Looking at the ball joints after that repair and they could do with being replaced. If nothing else but to be proactive.

What i am having issues with is finding out if they are actually replaceable or if you have to replace the entire upper control arm.

All the info i have seen is for Gen 1s and on a Gen 1 it looks like you have to replace the entire UCA.  Any one done this or a Yota mechanic and know first hand if the ball joints are replaceable?

EDIT:  Ball Joints replaced. Toyota and the manual are incorrect. you can replace them. See below.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like you can get just ball joints.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=ball+joint+%26+components&year=2007&make=Toyota&model=Tundra&vi=1438248
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like you can get just ball joints.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=ball+joint+%26+components&year=2007&make=Toyota&model=Tundra&vi=1438248
View Quote
I've seen the parts from big box stores but my absolute trust in a big box stores inventory accuracy is lacking. Wqs hoping someone would be able to confirm or find me web confirmationof a how to confirming they can be replaced.

Follow my concern..
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I've seen the parts from big box stores but my absolute trust in a big box stores inventory accuracy is lacking. Wqs hoping someone would be able to confirm or find me web confirmationof a how to confirming they can be replaced.

Follow my concern..
View Quote
No I don't just go but the dang things a replace them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Much easier to just replace the whole upper control arm. When I replaced them on on 07 Ram 1500 I think it was $10 more for a new upper control arm with the ball joint than it was for just the ball joint from Rock Auto.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No I don't just go but the dang things a replace them.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Much easier to just replace the whole upper control arm. When I replaced them on on 07 Ram 1500 I think it was $10 more for a new upper control arm with the ball joint than it was for just the ball joint from Rock Auto.
View Quote
Uca start around 200 per side. So there is a significant price difference.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#7]
So i could not find a corroborating answer so i bought the repair manual.

Ball joints in the gen 2 tundras are non serviceable. Must be replaced with the upper control arm assembly.

If you find this thread some years down the road with the same question you dont need to waste your money buying an authoritative answer. Now ya got it
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]
So i was wrong and the mighty Arfcom was right. Per toyota you cant replace them and they dont sell replacements. However Moog does sell them. 2 hours of work and BAM!!

So if any one finds this thread and needs help with a second Gen Tundra. Trust you can replace them.

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#9]
As the owner of a 2nd gen Tundra, I find this very interesting. So... they're simply pressed in?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As the owner of a 2nd gen Tundra, I find this very interesting. So... they're simply pressed in?
View Quote
Yup... There is a wire spring retainer on the boot.. Pull it off. Slip the boot off. Then there is a snap ring you have to remove. then it just presses up and the MOOG presses down.

Here is a pro tip. Every instruction i found said to separate the ball joint from the knuckle when doing the front suspension. Below the hub are two bolts that if removed releases the lower control arm. Pull those instead of fucking with the ball joint. Using a pickle fork to separate the ball joint caused me to rip that boot and got shit in the ball.

Follow these guys advice. Its opposite of what every one else says and i should have listened.

2008 tundra coilover removal FAST AND EASY

But if you do need to do them or just want to i did both Upper Ball joints by my self in 2 hours with minimal fuss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top