Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2017 7:32:29 PM EDT
I Just finished up a welding class, and the instructor has encouraged us to come up with some creative projects.  I have an old 20# propane tank, and a 55gal oil drum.  I'm thinking of using the propane tank for the firebox, and the drum for a smokebox.  Does anyone have any wisdom to share?

Picture of something close to my idea:
Attachment Attached File

Edit for update:

I've started.   I decided to go ahead and use the materials I have, and keep it on the cheap.  The firebox is an old propane tank.  I'm seriously thinking of using some old exhaust y-pipe I have for the smoke stacks.  I'm planning a reverse flow smoker, with tuning plates. The other end of this barrel is open, as I was using it for a trash can.  I'll weld in the plate holders and the tracks for the racks and then close up the end.  I've attached the firebox, though it's not completely welded yet.  I've got to make doors, and a stand, but I'm excited to have gotten a start.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
A 55 gallon drum would be too thin.  I would use a 100 gallon propane tank instead.  Look it up how to carefully and safely reduce it to a cutable and weldable tank.

good luck.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]
What does the thickness of the drum mean to the smoker?  Would it rust out too soon?  How about a fuel-oil tank?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Propane tanks are pressure vessels which mean thicker walls.  Thicker walls will help with keeping even temp inside making cooking easier as well as last a long long time.  You don't want to spend a ton of time making a nice smoker and have it rust out in 1 year.  We use 55 gal drums for wood stove bodies for hunting camps to keep down on travel weight and allow heat through.  We only get a few years out before we have to cut a new one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Propane tanks are pressure vessels which mean thicker walls.  Thicker walls will help with keeping even temp inside making cooking easier as well as last a long long time.  You don't want to spend a ton of time making a nice smoker and have it rust out in 1 year.  We use 55 gal drums for wood stove bodies for hunting camps to keep down on travel weight and allow heat through.  We only get a few years out before we have to cut a new one.
View Quote
Gotcha
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to BBQ by Franklin. He has a video on how he makes all of his pits out of propane tanks for his restaurant.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank you for explaining it.

Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A 55 gallon drum would be too thin.  I would use a 100 gallon propane tank instead.  Look it up how to carefully and safely reduce it to a cutable and weldable tank.

good luck.
View Quote
IMHO, 55 gallon drum is plenty thick for a smoker that will not have the fire in the drum. Plenty of UDS smokers and side-mount firebox smokers out there made of drums.

Of course, lest we not confuse, "right proper smoker" & "functional smoker", we need to clarify that a smoker made from a drum won't last an entire lifetime, nor will it look pretty. It will likely have larger air-gaps etc as well. But it will turn out smoked goodies just as well as one made from a propane tank.

One thing I think you should consider is how you're going to control air if your side-mount firebox is a LP tank. Most tanks have rounded ends, are you going to cut a sectin out and well a flat in there to use the air-damper style pictured or are you going with another type of damper?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

IMHO, 55 gallon drum is plenty thick for a smoker that will not have the fire in the drum. Plenty of UDS smokers and side-mount firebox smokers out there made of drums.

Of course, lest we not confuse, "right proper smoker" & "functional smoker", we need to clarify that a smoker made from a drum won't last an entire lifetime, nor will it look pretty. It will likely have larger air-gaps etc as well. But it will turn out smoked goodies just as well as one made from a propane tank.

One thing I think you should consider is how you're going to control air if your side-mount firebox is a LP tank. Most tanks have rounded ends, are you going to cut a sectin out and well a flat in there to use the air-damper style pictured or are you going with another type of damper?
View Quote
I was thinking of putting a flat slide in the back of the firebox, maybe one in the door.  I haven't decided yet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
UDS for the win

Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I got the stand built and realized the propane tank isn't going to work, but other than that, I'm off to a good start.   I've got a 16gal barrel I can replace the propane tank with and that will be just fine.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

good luck.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, I got the stand built and realized the propane tank isn't going to work, but other than that, I'm off to a good start.   I've got a 16gal barrel I can replace the propane tank with and that will be just fine.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/463698/IMG-1732-226448.JPG" target="_blank">https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/463698/IMG-1732-226448.JPG
View Quote
Don't get me wrong:  the 55 gallon will work, as you will find out shortly once you get it done.  My first two smokers were Ugly Drum Smokers; worked ok, but I outgrew them.

May I make a suggestion if it's not too late:  Bolt the 55 barrel to the firebox instead of welding it.  That way once you get some Q under your belt and want to upgrade and/or the barrel rusts out (not likely), you can unbolt the barrel from the firebox and then weld a propane tank (or fuel tank) in it's place.  In others words, you won't have to start all over again.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]
HERE is how you make a good smoker from a barrel. 
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong:  the 55 gallon will work, as you will find out shortly once you get it done.  My first two smokers were Ugly Drum Smokers; worked ok, but I outgrew them.

May I make a suggestion if it's not too late:  Bolt the 55 barrel to the firebox instead of welding it.  That way once you get some Q under your belt and want to upgrade and/or the barrel rusts out (not likely), you can unbolt the barrel from the firebox and then weld a propane tank (or fuel tank) in it's place.  In others words, you won't have to start all over again.

Good luck!
View Quote
I took your advice,  I didn't weld the drum to the stand, or to the firebox.  I used a smaller drum for the firebox, and I'm going to use self-tapping sheet metal screws to bring the two barrels together.  I flanged the openings and beat the flanges to overlap.  Tomorrow I'll screw it together to make it strong, but it's holding together well just having the flanges bent in.  I'll post pics tomorrow, as I should be near completion.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Good deal! 

I look forward to seeing more pics - of the smoker and the Q!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#19]
OST
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, the UDS is on the back burner for now.   I went to Rural King to get the vents and smoke stack, and I found this little honey for less than I could buy the rest of my materials.  I didn't sell out, I traded up.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Is the firebox meant to pull double duty? At home as a firebox and when needed as a small camp grill?

if so that's a decent idea

Also, where is the smoke exhaust?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes.  The firebox comes off and becomes a tabletop grille.  Smoke comes out of the damper vents on either side of the smoker lid.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top