BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, you never know when you might have to shelter in the shed while a zombie hoard flows by. That is turning out to be one stout, proper shed.
View Quote
I live on the dark side of a mountain. The trees grow TALL. If one falls on my house it's gonna fuck it up bad. I can live in the shed. The shed will withstand everything but a nuclear assualt. It's  got heat, AC, TV, VCR, DVD,Cable, A fridge and dedicated 50 amp service. Everything but water. And I live in a lake community. After Sandy we did 16 days without power, no problem.

And so. we continue....
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:39:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:51:15 AM EDT
[#3]
So, I got a couple of exes to help me paint...... That was a mistake. I paid them in boxed wine and hoagies. I left to come back to find the shed painted violet with big letters "Mike's gay-man love shack"  I had to take them out for a proper meal with drinks to make them do it over, so it looked right. I re-thought the color and decided to paint it the same as the house. Give me a day, I have a wedding to go to and I need to take new picks to bridge the gap. I'll show what I did, how it worked out. And what I would and would not do again....
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]
The redhead, the blonde, or the shed.  Any way you slice it, you're winning.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:47:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Great idea now I can build a shed too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:02:41 AM EDT
[#6]
In (be)for(e) the crack of Dawn.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/BX2jpIZ.jpg

View Quote
Haha, I think I remember that thread!!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought about this but figured a shipping container would suit me better.  For less than a equivalent sized shed, I can get 320SF that is bug proof, storm proof, and harder to break into than most safes.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/BX2jpIZ.jpg

View Quote
Something just doesn't seem quite right with your shed there....  Cant quite place my finger on the problem though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 1:10:22 AM EDT
[#10]
dont leave me hangin' op!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
dont leave me hangin' op!
View Quote
My Freakin' camera died and I just got fired from my part time job. So I bought a used Sony camera of off Craigslist for 10 bucks. It doesn't work. They promised that if I put batteries in it...... and I'm 10 dollars smarter, or dumber. So I bought another Kodak Easyshare. It works but the batteries are wasted. So I have to put 2 AA's in it to get it to work and then change to rechargable ones that are dead to use the docking station...

I have thread going about my job, another one about the truck I bought that I think I sold today because I need money. And yet another about the BBC I'm building for my keeper truck.

So I have 4 threads on ARF, 3 dead cameras. Taking pictures like a fool to sell stuff. No job, but Monday is already filled up. I'm the most busy retired person I know and I'm drunk..... Pouring Traveler's Club Vodka through a Brita filter and eating Pizza flavored Combo's.

Now Tuesday, I will have pics up and text to go with it. In the spirit of Adam West....... Tune in ! Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel. RIP, The real Batman. 
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's my bench.......Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Another....Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:22:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Fired and a busted camera!   You must not be living right.   Thanks for the update and good luck with the truck.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#15]
update for the woulds and wouldves not duns.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I thought about this but figured a shipping container would suit me better.  For less than a equivalent sized shed, I can get 320SF that is bug proof, storm proof, and harder to break into than most safes.
View Quote
I'm not questioning your shed vs shipping container argument, it's a reasonable argument. But your last comment is

Shipping containers are not even close to being difficult to break into. You get your shipping container and then I'll come open it for you. I'm by no means an expert but I've working with enough of them to know that I can be into it within 5 minutes and only do minimal damage to it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not questioning your shed vs shipping container argument, it's a reasonable argument. But your last comment is

Shipping containers are not even close to being difficult to break into. You get your shipping container and then I'll come open it for you. I'm by no means an expert but I've working with enough of them to know that I can be into it within 5 minutes and only do minimal damage to it.
View Quote
One key difference is, depending on how it's locked, you are likely to make much more noise breaking into a container than a typical wood framed storage unit. With the right equipment yes I'd agree......it's easy. You will likely make a lot of noise doing it though.

Shipping containers are more secure than storage sheds but definitely not as hard to get into as a safe though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Recent (big) hail storm pretty much destroyed the roofs on my yard tool shed and my kayak shed (did some damage to the house and carports, too, but those metal buildings are thin, thin, thin.

I'm taking some of the insurance money and building me a bigger shed in the back yard to take the place of both the smaller buildings.  I asked the insurance adjuster if building a bigger building to replace the two was okay and was told sure, do it.

So, I'm figuring on getting started on it in a week or two.

I priced kits.  I priced buildings at Lowes/Home Depot and other local small building "builders" and I just can't find what I want in the way of design/construction.  I'll have to build my own.  Damn it's going to be a hot, slow job though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#20]
OP,

Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Waiting for pics of "Mike's gay-man love shack"...
My guess is those crazy wimmenz have pics on their smartphones.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#22]
OST!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I built this 16 x 24 shed a couple of years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks good.

I hope I can get some land some day and do the same thing 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's a GREAT shed!
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I built this 16 x 24 shed a couple of years ago.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71432/Shed-49-243735.JPG
View Quote
I'm looking to start my 12x18 shed. I want to build exactly that with a few small windows.

Anyone have any plans? I used to just get lumber and build stuff off the top of my head, but haven't had to do that in about 15 years. Like any skill, confidence gets lost.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm looking to start my 12x18 shed. I want to build exactly that with a few small windows.

Anyone have any plans? I used to just get lumber and build stuff off the top of my head, but haven't had to do that in about 15 years. Like any skill, confidence gets lost.
View Quote
I omitted the windows for security reasons.

Family Handyman magazine has really good shed articles each year.

I started with the 2010 "Dream Shed" and modified the plans from there.

Since I built the roof with rafters instead of trusses, because I wanted attic storage, I had to consult span tables.
IIRC the joists are 2x10s at 24" OC, which are good for ~17' span, and the rafters are 2x8 with a 2x10 ridge beam spliced in the middle with 3/4 ply gussets on both sides and construction adhesive and screws.
The gable ends have doubled rafters and the gable eaves are supported by 2x4 outriggers notched into the gable end rafters.

The headers are 4x8s IIRC.  Could be 4x10.

The Attic deck is all 3/4" OSB subflooring, which adds a lot of rigidity and anti racking.
There are also L beams made of two 2x4s that run the length of the structure down each side, about 1/4 the way in that tie the joists and end walls together.

Everything else is fairly straightforward.

I built it to match my house and shop.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#31]
(Mistaken response)
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Waiting for pics of "Mike's gay-man love shack"...
My guess is those crazy wimmenz have pics on their smartphones.
View Quote
Still waiting for these pics, OP. I just KNOW those crazy wimmenz haz them...

Nice shack, BTW.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top