Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2017 11:44:17 PM EDT
I'm looking to make my home office more homey and thinking about building a L shaped desk butting against a wall in a bedroom I work out of. I'm thinking the longer part of the L but up against the wall as such with a small three tiered shelf.

|L

Probably two pieces and running them together so that they can be easily moved in two pieces. Has anyone built something similiar and mind sharing plans or pictures?

This is kind of what I have in mind.

http://www.deepsouthwood.com/office/

I would love to have a piece of walnut with a live edge but since I'm doing an L I'm thinking that might make it overly complicated.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a set of plans online that several folks I know have used with good results. I'm sure you could make a few modifications to fit your needs. Hope this helps...

http://goatinatree.com/desk/desk.htm
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:27:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Computer desk or paperwork desk? Experiment to get the right height - it's important. How tall are you? How do you sit?

If computer, remember that the monitor should be at eye level. Monoprice.com has the monitor mounts cheap. Proper keyboard height and angle is what keeps carpel tunnel away.

My desk is built from 2 x 8s on cinder blocks painted glossy black. It's not sexy but it was cheap and is solid as a rock.

ETA:

How about these :-)

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:35:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:45:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Waste of space and awkward to move later. Also turns into junk pile collector.

IMHO if you want the L shape, just make a second matching stand and butt them together.  Possibly put it on casters or sliders so it can move around easy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you can get it in and out of the room.
When I have built them I used taller and wider aprons and the same bolts used to pull kitchen counter corners together.

At least that way you can take them apart if required.

We used them for years so we could have multiple computers on a single desk.

SPARC workstation and a PC for mail and non-engineering design work.

AT one point I had two SPARCs and a PC.

One SPARC was hooked to a CRAY computer over rented fiber lines from Virginia to Texas with NSA CRYPTO gear at each end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top