Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2017 10:09:50 PM EDT
I've got a fence in my backyard that needs a bunch of work, but there's poison ivy and oak all over the fence line. What's the best treatment to kill it off prior to starting the work?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for answers.. not had much success.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Realize dead poison ivy and oak is still a menace.  Chopped up airborne pieces will ruin your day (weeks) with a good exposure.

Hire some $10 hr guys , or buy some goats.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
1. Spray leaves with Round-up

2. If the vines are of any size &/or growing on a tree you want to live, protect yourself, including work gloves & cut the vines as close to the ground as possible, with shears or a saw.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]

"A good goat'll do that, every time."
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
You want a specific Poison Ivy / Oak spray. It should have Triclopyr. It wont kill grass but it works on woody tough to kill brush, and also works great on clover.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.roundup.com/smg/goprod/roundup-concentrate-poison-ivy-killer/prod70320/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecnu

https://www.amazon.com/tyvek-suit/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:tyvek suit&tag=vglnk-c102-20

I keep Tecnu in my truck just in case I get in poison oak.

Use Roundup Poison Ivy Killer.  It may take more than one application.  Just because the poison oak is dead doesn't mean the oil is gone.

I wear a tyvek suit, rubber boots, and rubber gloves when I'm working in poison oak.

Do not scratch your nose, rub your eyes, or use the bathroom until you are done and cleaned up.  Throw away the tyvek suit and hose off the rubber boots and gloves with a degreaser.  Wash any exposed skin with the Tecnu.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Frequent question on here but the answer remains the same: Crossbow or generic Crossroads herbicide.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#9]
IMHO, you can skip the overpriced specialty "washes"... I've never gotten poison-ivy or poison-oak since I started following the below "exposure protocol", unless I fail to follow the protocol (didn't know I was exposed etc)

The allergen that causes a reaction in ivy/oak is an oil, we need to get that oil off within a few hours or face the consequences. What do you ALREADY have in your house that is marketed specifically for removing tough greasy/oily residues? Hint: your wife likely uses it much more than you and it's not in the laundry-room. Yup, the dish-soap, name-brand, heavy-duty (not watered down) dish-soap. This WILL cut the oils if used properly. I do 2 wash-off routines as part of my protocol, the reason for it has to do a bit with science so I'll explain. Water is a polar molecule, it can act as a solvent, but only to certain things. Soap's best trait is the ability to bind up things that wouldn't normally bond to water, and allow them to be washed away. The problem is, sometimes water, introduced before the soap can be a hindrance, or in the case of oils, it can actually cause them to spread. However, with certain compounds the polarity of the water molecule can aid in the process. So my protocol involves soaping up on ALL exposed areas before getting wet and then again after getting wet. IE, if I've been cutting firewood and saw-dust laced with poison-ivy may have found it's way inside my clothing, my whole body could be exposed so I soap up head-to-toe before getting wet. Once soaped up and scrubbed really well with dish-soap I get in the shower and rinse it off very well. Then, I repeat the soap-up and scrub process in the shower. After that I shower as normal. I can buy gallons of Palmolive Professional Concentrate Dish-Soap for $5; I can go through a LOT of dish-soap for the cost of 1 single tube of Technu.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Roundup
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"A good goat'll do that, every time."
View Quote
But they won't get the roots.  You need a hog for that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I've used the stuff below on poison ivy and it works extremely well. Within 24 hrs after spraying all the leaves are wilted and within a week it's gone.

It will still come up in other places because it spreads underground. Just keep spraying when you see it.

I've been regularly spraying for it on my property for the past 4 years. I've probably reduced it by 90% but there is still some that sprouts up here and there.

I had some big thick vines growing in some trees when I bought the property. In the dead of winter I took an axe and cut out a section of the vine near the bottom of the trees. Killed it dead.

Mowing it also works well because it also removes the leaves....just don't use a weedeater unless you wanna be covered in it.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/BAYER-ADVANCED-32-fl-oz-Brush-Killer/4329986
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd use a generic 41 glyphosate and add in some generic ortho weed b gone, that mix is my go to kill all. I haven't had any vegetation live through a good application of it.

If possible I would get rid of as much as possible while it is live. If it is really out of control I'd get a set of disposable tyvek painters overalls with a hood. Wear boots, gloves, glasses and maybe a disposable face mask. Rip it all out bag and dispose of it. Throw away the overalls, gloves, face mask, and safety glasses. Wash yourself with dawn immediately afterwards. Wash your clothes seperately. Put some nitrile gloves on and scrub your boots with dawn. Spray after it is removed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Crossbow. Done.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Apple cider vinegar mixed with bath salt. When the leaves are dead and the risk to exposure is diminished, hack em at the roots with a spade shovel so they don't come back next year.

Listen to me, I know what of I speak.

If you don't want to make that mix, just hit em with some bleach.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Apple cider vinegar mixed with bath salt. When the leaves are dead and the risk to exposure is diminished, hack em at the roots with a spade shovel so they don't come back next year.

Listen to me, I know what of I speak.

If you don't want to make that mix, just hit em with some bleach.
View Quote
WTF?

Have you actually ever tried what you're saying? My wife saw that crap on pinterest, tried it, and 2 weeks later the weeds were back with a vengeance...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I paint brush-b-gone right out of the can on the leaves and stems.

A cheap throw away brush works fine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

WTF?

Have you actually ever tried what you're saying? My wife saw that crap on pinterest, tried it, and 2 weeks later the weeds were back with a vengeance...
View Quote
lol, yes.

You will have to comprehend what I'm writing, though, to understand.

The mixture or the bleach is just to kill the leaves off, thus, minimizing the risk of contact with urushiol. This way you are left with the scraggly stem sticking out. You use a shovel, to keep your distance, and again minimize contact, and cut the stems down at the root. The more root you expose and dice up during this process the better. You can step on the stems to help with cutting them down, and finish up by spraying the mixture or bleach on your boots to neutralize the urushiol.

You can spend any amount of money on any of the manufactured sprays and it will have the same effect as the bath salt and apples cider vinegar (this stuff is just cheaper). I've not found anything that you can spray on that will actually kill off the plant for good. And I've tried just about everything, including ground clearers, fire, etc.

Bleach works, too. And in my experience it neutralizes the urushiol, which is a benefit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had good luck with Roundup and 2,4-D mixed together.  Make a habit of spraying every sprig you see from here on and you'll get it under control.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

lol, yes.

You will have to comprehend what I'm writing, though, to understand.

The mixture or the bleach is just to kill the leaves off, thus, minimizing the risk of contact with urushiol. This way you are left with the scraggly stem sticking out. You use a shovel, to keep your distance, and again minimize contact, and cut the stems down at the root. The more root you expose and dice up during this process the better. You can step on the stems to help with cutting them down, and finish up by spraying the mixture or bleach on your boots to neutralize the urushiol.

You can spend any amount of money on any of the manufactured sprays and it will have the same effect as the bath salt and apples cider vinegar (this stuff is just cheaper). I've not found anything that you can spray on that will actually kill off the plant for good. And I've tried just about everything, including ground clearers, fire, etc.

Bleach works, too. And in my experience it neutralizes the urushiol, which is a benefit.
View Quote
Every time I've sprayed poison ivy with the product I linked above, it dies and doesn't come back.  Entire plant shrivels up and dies.  Just have to make sure you coat all the leaves with it.  

Now poison ivy spreads underground so it'll pop up again nearby....so spray that when it does.  Eventually if you keep killing every plant that comes up you'll kill the roots underground too.  

I've never tried your mix but what I linked will absolutely kill off poison ivy for good....with regular applications every time you find it growing.  Eventually you won't find it growing in that area any more if you keep attacking it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I dont have the answer on how to kill it but I think I'm getting itchy, bumpy and drippy just from reading this ... I get horrible reactions to poison ivy/oak, shit just spreads over me.  I've had my fingers swell up so much I could barely move them.  Shit just needs to die, WTF good does it do anyways.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I so allergic to that shit, that this thread is making me break out!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I dont have the answer on how to kill it but I think I'm getting itchy, bumpy and drippy just from reading this ... I get horrible reactions to poison ivy/oak, shit just spreads over me.  I've had my fingers swell up so much I could barely move them.  Shit just needs to die, WTF good does it do anyways.
View Quote
I'm not that bad but I do get it now. Didn't get it in my younger days.

I even want to spray it in the ditches on other people's property!

I spray it on and near my property every time I find it. It's taken years but I'm finally getting a handle on it on my property. Neglected property builds a lot of poison ivy.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Last year I had a lot of poison ivy in one area of my property that I sprayed in spring when it was still tender.  I used generic Round Up (Buccaneer I believe it is) mixed at 5 ounces to one gallon with a tablespoon or so of Dawn added to it.  I sprayed until it was dripping off the leaves and within a couple weeks it was all dead and it even killed some that I didn't even spray because I couldn't get back in there far enough.  I assume they were maybe all the same plant popping up out of the ground from a single root system.   Best part is for the most part it hasn't been back this year.  I'm not sure if it had more to do with the time of year I sprayed or what but it worked like a charm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top