Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2017 12:20:47 AM EDT
I have three crates of 18" x .5" travertine tiles to install on cement. I have no idea how to do it. It is replacing VCT tile that can either stay under it or get removed.

Any recommendations or install advice, other than the cliché "hire a professional" bs?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]
take the old tile off and check for cracks in the slab.  you may need to use crack suppression so it won't  transfer to the new tile.  if cracks are not an issue, with out any more info, if you know how to lay it out, just use a 1/4" notch trowel and lay it like tile. use spacers
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:37:53 AM EDT
[#2]
He's correct.  Treat travertine the same as you would any tile that size
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd use a 1/2x1/2 notch and a medium bed mortar.

1/4 can work if your slab is straight as a pool table. Otherwise you are going to need more mortar to keep the lippage down.

If your slab is really bad then a 3/4 u-notch would be the next step.

When you say "3 crates" I am assuming this is a lot of tile; if so, a larger notch will save your sanity.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#4]
John Bridge Tile Forum

I would remove the current tile. Check for cracks in the slab. You may need a crack isolation membrane such as Schluter Ditra.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#5]
All good recommendations. Do NOT install over the VCT. Remove it and install on the concrete.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:21:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the links and recommendations!

It's a thick commercial slab and the other 9000 square feet are "crackless" so hopefully this area is in good shape as well.

I will post some photos when done.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck John Bridge.  Fuck Schluter.

There are no tricks for travertine and I have slung a lot of it.  I like using Mapei Ultraflex mortar or any polymer-modified thinset your store may carry,  and Redguard for any cracks or if sealing is needed in a shower.  

If you buy a high quality sealer (expensive), you will only have to seal the travertine once.  Sealers can be flat or shiny, so you will have to decide.  

Travertine won't snap in tile clinker, so you will need a wet saw.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck John Bridge.  Fuck Schluter.

There are no tricks for travertine and I have slung a lot of it.  I like using Mapei Ultraflex mortar or any polymer-modified thinset your store may carry,  and Redguard for any cracks or if sealing is needed in a shower.  

If you buy a high quality sealer (expensive), you will only have to seal the travertine once.  Sealers can be flat or shiny, so you will have to decide.  

Travertine won't snap in tile clinker, so you will need a wet saw.
View Quote
Schluter makes good stuff.

I don't have an opinion on John Bridge forums but there is a lot of good info over there.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Just because a slab doesn't have cracks does not mean it doesn't need prep work.

I would definitely remove all vct or other flooring. We Grind or shot blast the slab to remove any old glues and sealers on the concretes surface to get a clean fresh surface for self level or thinset.

Check the slab for how flat it is, you may need to use a self level to fill in low valleys, and mechanical grinding or scarifying for high spots. Flat and level are not the same. You want your substrate to be as flat as possible to make setting easier. You must use the proper primer for the self level.

Crack isolation can be a liquid like customs red guard or mapei ci. It can be a peel and stick. Or a thinset down plastic like schluter ditra. Laticrete makes a ditra type product at 1/2 price of schluters ditra. The ideal way to approach crack isolation is to cover the entire floor but it's costly, compared to just going over the cracks.

Travertine in 18x18 im going to assume its square edge and in honed or polished finish. Your going to want a good thinset for large format tiles like customs versabond lft, or even step up to a medium bed mortar if the floor is rough. Get it in white since you will be going with a light color grout most likely. 1/8" spacing is good, if it's your first time setting tile you might want to invest in leveling spacers to eliminate lippage. Keep your tile clean as you go with a sponge, you don't want to leave thinset on the surface of the tile or in the joints.

Where you transition the tile to carpet or back down to cement or vinyl etc- schluter makes an aluminum edge profile that will work and help keep your stone from chipping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top