Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2017 12:05:05 PM EDT
I'll be moving into my new to me house here in the end of June, the house has the Rustolem DIY epoxy coating (with the flakes) on the floor and is in perfect shape.  The problem is that I don't like the color, it seems a bit 'thin', and hate the look of the flakes.  From what I've read I need to scuff it up with 80 grit and I have a way to do that and degrease, let dry and reapply pretty straight forward.  My questions are it'll be 115* during the day and if I'm lucky 90* at night and is a bit above the recommended temp to apply but I think at night with a cooler running I'll be ok if I work fast.  Now what to apply, I'm looking for a dark gray something with a high build and something high gloss any suggestions that don't break the bank?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Just wait. It will come up. Then pay a professional to do it. Or have a professional do it now.

Head installer at decorative concrete coatings company.

<<<<<<<
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just wait. It will come up. Then pay a professional to do it. Or have a professional do it now.

Head installer at decorative concrete coatings company.

<<<<<<<
View Quote
Any other insight?  I need to do this before I move in, I understand I can hire someone but there isn't much I can't do myself.  I have no issue removing the old coating if needed but I did not see the need if it is bonded well and recoated with as good of a product or better.  I did a 4,300 sq.ft. shop 10 plus years ago that came out well with a product from Industrial Floor Coatings (don't remember the system we used) but was a three step coating that was about 20-30mils when done applied with a floor squeegee.  I don't need that for my home shop just something that will handle me dropping tools on and tool boxes and floor jacks.  I would like to do something with either a high gloss finish or a clear top coat just not sure what products are good and am thinking to steer clear of the rustolem/quickcrete/bear stuff.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:44:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to garage journal forums and read up. Ignore the naysayer above you.

I did my own floor. I ground the entire thing with a diamond wheel. 100% solids epoxy, a bunch of flakes (wish I added some shark grip), and clear coat. Yeah build was about 20 mils. Cost me a grand or so for a 2.5 car garage plus a crap ton of labor. 9 years later it still looks great. A little yellowed, but they make better UV resistant stuff now. I've only had a few chips and they were all deserved.

ETA: I used stuff from Wolverine coatings.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The biggest thing is getting the diamond cutting/sander thing.  First time I did my garage it came out decent but a few years later it would come up in random spots.  Got the diamond sander and did it again, that made all the difference in the world.  

I'm in phx and did mine in June so I feel for ya.  Atleast getting everything to dry won't b an issue
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#5]
As mentioned earlier, GarageJournal.com. Give yourself a couple days to go thru all the info.

The big box kits will give you what you pay for, economy. Visit some of the vendor sites on GJ for high quality product.

The biggest issue I've seen mentioned was the moisture unaccounted for. There are ways to test and remedy but people forget or ignore which causes issues down the road.

Here, I'll make it easy for you,
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Look up my thread in the flooring section of garagejournal.  User name chrispyny.  I went nuts and did a VERY detailed thread about how i did mine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I did an epoxy kit from local big box store.

I am very comfortable painting and with all painting, the results come from the prep. Do the best prep job you can and you will be rewarded.

If I can do it over again I would add the sand to the paint for grip, My floor is very slick when wet.

I did experience one spot of peeling. My washer was leaking and a puddle formed under the rubber mat front of the washer. The puddle sat un-noticed for a while and when I moved the rubber mat, the epoxy had bubbled.

I prepped that area and retouched and have not had any issues yet.

5+ years now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top