Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2017 5:26:31 PM EDT
Have some ceramic fireplace logs that got full of soot from propane gas. I now have natural gas and want to get most of the soot off the logs. I do not have a pressure washer. Give me some ideas about how to do this.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Put them in the dishwasher
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Just did the same thing...  Pick up a gallon of Purple Power cleaner, tub of water and a good 3 count pour (I never measure shit and tend to run my blends a bit heavy!  ) scrub brush and get after it.  lay them out to dry.  I had success!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Build a big fire using wood and throw them in. Soot is just a product of poor combustion, it will burn off.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of it should brush off.  You'll get some soot with natural gas, too, so I wouldn't spend too much time cleaning them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the soot built up like cauliflower? Be careful with that crap, it stains everything. Wear gloves and lay out newspaper and have a container to put them in. If that stuff falls on your carpet you won't get it out.
Take them outside and rinse them off with a garden hose, most will fall right off.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea, it's pretty nasty stuff. Hard to wash it off your hands.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Run fireplace, get logs hot as they get.

Spray with fake log cleaner, soot disappears like magic.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Whatever you do, do NOT  use your wife's brand new white Shark vacuum cleaner with HEPA filter.  It will never work right again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Go to auto parts store, get a can of carb and choke cleaner, designed to clean off soot from car parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top