Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2017 10:11:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Flourescents?  If so, yes, it's most likely the ballast.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for a ballast.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Excellent time to replace the flor bulbs with ballast bypass LED bulbs.  About $11 each and you get +110 lumens/watt of power consumed.

Easy to bypass the ballast.  The bulb manufacturer will have directions on their site and usually with the bulbs on the box or inside.  Easy-peasey.

First example from Bing search:

http://www.bulbs.com/LED_Bulbs/Yes-Ballast_Bypass/results.aspx   1800/15 = 120 lumens/watt, not too shabby.  $7 each as well.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Excellent time to replace the flor bulbs with ballast bypass LED bulbs.  About $11 each and you get +110 lumens/watt of power consumed.

Easy to bypass the ballast.  The bulb manufacturer will have directions on their site and usually with the bulbs on the box or inside.  Easy-peasey.

First example from Bing search:

http://www.bulbs.com/LED_Bulbs/Yes-Ballast_Bypass/results.aspx   1800/15 = 120 lumens/watt, not too shabby.  $7 each as well.

Good luck!
View Quote
These will save you the ballasts, but you will still have to retrofit for 4' bulbs.  Whether you go florescent or LED, 4' is a must do.  I used to retrofit lights and EVERY time an 2 lamp 8' t12 was found, a simple bracket was installed to make it 2 attached 2 lamp 4' t8 fixtures (4 lamps total).  Most of the structure of the fixture is reusable, but the wiring almost never was, ballast always replaced, lamp holders replaced.  If you can, add reflectors.  You can drop down in wattage and still retain the same amount of light.  Also necessary: if you go fluorescent, your ballast with have to match your bulbs in Watts, otherwise you will get micro-flickering which sucks to live with, causes headaches and stuff.  Finally, 4100K bulbs FTW (although that is a personal preference).
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Bypass LED's are definitely the way to go, and 8' versions are coming down quickly in price so I wouldn't even consider the hassle of retrofitting an 8 footer to a quad (tandem) 4 foot.

That said, are you sure you installed new lamps, OP?  If they're not a perfectly unused set, fresh from a case you KNOW is new, then I'd double check.  I see so many people that keep a screwball mix of old/new/improper/recycled lamps around and just throw two random pieces of crap in a fixture when it stops working.

As noted, if your lamps are new and connections solid, it's a ballast issue.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

These will save you the ballasts, but you will still have to retrofit for 4' bulbs.  Whether you go florescent or LED, 4' is a must do.  I used to retrofit lights and EVERY time an 2 lamp 8' t12 was found, a simple bracket was installed to make it 2 attached 2 lamp 4' t8 fixtures (4 lamps total).  Most of the structure of the fixture is reusable, but the wiring almost never was, ballast always replaced, lamp holders replaced.  If you can, add reflectors.  You can drop down in wattage and still retain the same amount of light.  Also necessary: if you go fluorescent, your ballast with have to match your bulbs in Watts, otherwise you will get micro-flickering which sucks to live with, causes headaches and stuff.  Finally, 4100K bulbs FTW (although that is a personal preference).
View Quote
My bad, I missed the 8'.

So here are 8' LED ballast bypass tubes, same idea:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SUMEGSC?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Make sure the reflector is grounded.

The bulb needs the capacitance from the bulb to the grounded reflector to strike correctly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My bad, I missed the 8'.

So here are 8' LED ballast bypass tubes, same idea:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SUMEGSC?tag=vglnk-c102-20
View Quote
That's the brand I use at home- they're excellent.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I will double check that when I put the new ballast in. I am sure it was tight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make sure the reflector is grounded.

The bulb needs the capacitance from the bulb to the grounded reflector to strike correctly.
I will double check that when I put the new ballast in. I am sure it was tight.
Make sure the ballast mounting screws are machine threads.

Self tapping machine threads are acceptable but not the coarse threads of sheet metal screws.

The same with the ground connection to the reflector.

Even removing paint from under a screw used to ground the reflector [or using an internal tooth lock washer] can affect striking performance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Throw them out and buy LED
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Ballast issue.  Replace them and look up the more advanced models.  You can get new ballast types that are much more efficient with a different florecent bulb. Can't remember exactly but you won't regret it.   LED is expensive for the light you get so good thing about not switching.  Most shops are under lit so you might need to add some lights while you are at it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Have you tried just leaving them on for a while?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top