Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2017 9:01:39 PM EDT
I just got my permit to remodel my bathroom and I am going to be sistering some wall studs that had some mold damage.

I am kind of confused about what nail size I should be using. The only information I can find says to use 16D nails but the shortest ones are 3 1/2 inches.
This would stick out 1/2 a inch if I nailed them straight through the 2 2x4s (1-1/2" * 2  = 3".

Or are they supposed to stick out?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck with the remodel.

Misread the title.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#2]
It all depends on if the existing studs are still structurally sound.  If they are not if I recall code correctly then per code you do need 16d nails but 12 would be fine unless it us a major load support then go 16d.  The ends of the nails sticking out is notmal.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It all depends on if the existing studs are still structurally sound.  If they are not if I recall code correctly then per code you do need 16d nails but 12 would be fine unless it us a major load support then go 16d.  The ends of the nails sticking out is notmal.
View Quote
Thank you very much.
I am going to use the 16d then because it is in the corner of a wall where the ceiling joist is joined over the wall.
The stud is notched a little and had some mold damage, so I am a better safe then sorry kind of guy. Cleaning it up and adding another 2x4 is not a big deal now, but would be later.

I do lots of other wood work, but this will be the first time i used nails that I knew were longer than the material.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#4]
What is this "Permit" you speak of? Do you have to get permission from the Gov't to remodel your latrine????

YOu should think about moving to a Free State.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe most codes allow the 0.131" x  3" nail gun nails.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thank you very much.
I am going to use the 16d then because it is in the corner of a wall where the ceiling joist is joined over the wall.
The stud is notched a little and had some mold damage, so I am a better safe then sorry kind of guy. Cleaning it up and adding another 2x4 is not a big deal now, but would be later.

I do lots of other wood work, but this will be the first time i used nails that I knew were longer than the material.
View Quote
The naila are not a problem and you are right to error on the side of over building it sounds like the existing studs are fine.  But it is better to be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:57:54 AM EDT
[#7]
You could always install at a angle too.... Pythagorean theorem says that if you put 3-1/2 inch nails at an angle they will go some amount less than 3-1/2 inches depending on the angle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#8]
We angle 16's so they don't stick out. We've never been dinged before.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd use torx screws.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Angle them.

And if you angle them opposite ways it is actually better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd use torx screws.
View Quote
This.  I haven't driven a nail in a long, long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top