Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2017 8:58:49 PM EDT
Going to be painting my house here this spring/summer. Looking for brands that will hold up well and not break the bank.

Ranch style red brick face on front. Exposed block foundation around the remaiming three sides. The current siding is that masonite board stuff painted white. The block is a blue/grey color.

I'll eventually be residing the house but that won't be for a few more years.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I use Benjamin Moore's best grade and nothing less.  All the parts of my house that were painted with it when we moved in and still in more than adequate to near perfect condition (depending upon exposure).  That's over 20 year of life.  Not bad, I'd say.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything not named Sherwin Williams.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
We used Dunn Edwards for our house here in central Arizona.  It has held up very well in our intense sun.  It lasted over 7 years before needing another overcoat.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I've used a lot of Valspar. I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Sherwin Williams Duration. We paint no less than 150 houses a year, it's not inexpensive but holds up to weather great.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Benjamin-More or Sherwin-Williams.

Labor swamps material costs anyway.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Priced Sherwin Williams. Way too much money.

Never seen any others around here that were mentioned other than Valspar.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Priced Sherwin Williams. Way too much money.

Never seen any others around here that were mentioned other than Valspar.
View Quote
I've used the upper end of Valspar paints. I think they are good and cover well. I've seen Sherwin Williams have very good sales and from what I have heard, professional painters stock up when they have their sales.

SW might be better than Valspar but for  the money I don't think you can beat Valspar. I've never had a problem covering anything with a coat or two of paint.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
porter paint is high quality paint
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#10]
You just missed the 40% off sale at Sherwin Williams.
If you were closer I'd sell it to you at cost, I bought 400 gallons untinted for our summer exteriors.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I like SW. They have 30% off sales every couple months if you sign up with your email. It isn't too obnoxious.

I've only used Valspar for interior jobs and thought it sucked. Uneven application and multiple coats needed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#12]
FYI, SW has a 30% off sale this weekend May 4-8.

If you haven't bought paint already that puts it in line or below a lot of other paints.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always had good results with SW exterior Superpaint.
They have 30% off regularly. 

Or if your friends with a painter who has an SW account, see if they can hook you up to buy at wholesale.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#14]
We did a house exterior with Sherwin Williams emerald, that is some awesome paint, unaffordable without a 40% off coupon though. I prefer semi gloss too it holds up better in Arizona and looks really nice.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#15]
We did a house with BEHR marquee and it looks no different than my house 5 years later that was painted with Duration at much less cost.

Glidden professional fortis 450 is also a good product and on the level of duration as well but cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:33:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't skimp on paint OP. You'll regret it. If you're paying someone to do it, you'll regret it more. All the work that goes into the preparation and application, only for it not to last because a cheap product was used? Not worth it, not to me anyway. I'd use the best I could afford (whether with a coupon, sale, a friend with account, etc.) because even if you get only five extra years out of it, it's damn sure worth it.

Avoid the big box store brands and go with the stuff professionals buy (many mentioned already).
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I was looking into the upper end of the Behr stuff..
well my wife mostly because of the colors she likes they offer.

The tier I was looking at is like 150 for 5 gallons, I think it was a lifetime warranty anyhow

Im really only looking at it for a freshen up and to give me a couple good years until I replace the siding. I'll be scraping and sanding and a good wiped down with my supply of pre-ban T.S.P. so the prep will be covered.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Tagging for interest... In the next year or two I'd like to recolor our exterior, bought it yellow and not a huge fan of it. Probably DIY but exterior walls are about 25 ft tall and not necessarily a nice flat working surface underneath, not thrilled with the prospect of going up there around the entire house... Lot's of bay windows to go around too.

Interior paints have often been a mix of brands, usually use Killz primer followed by either Valspar Reserve or the Behr Premium Plus Ultra. The Behr used on the interior hasn't been bad, but I'm not sure I'd trust it's adhesion for exterior. Painting on smooth surfaces (ie plastic) if it peels off it just comes off in sections, it's very different than some other paints. I have no idea how their actual exterior paints are, so I'm curious what others say.

I've also never got a true one coat finish with any paint we've used even with the use a ton of paint one coat rollers. I gave up on that and just do two coats using a normal better quality Wooster roller.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Best Benjamin Moore you can buy...

Most expensive part of painting is labor.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Best Benjamin Moore you can buy...

Most expensive part of painting is labor.
View Quote
Even if you are DIY put the savings in labor towards the paint and smile.

I have a backup light sicruit that covers the wood shop and hallway and has a 5-way circuit.

The main lights in each room are ion separate circuits.

A dozen 48 inch T8 fluorescent for the shop.

And a pair of incandescent for clean up  and 'passing through' light.

The cost of the 3-conductor cable was insignificant in the job cost.

I spent more putting in a seperate circuit to lock out the air handler when problems occurred in either the AC condensate pump OR the Gas condensation drain.

Whoever did it the first time only locked out the gas condensate.

Of course the AC flooded the carpet & pad in the closet and hallway when IT was the problem and not correctly interlocked.

I have to replace over 100 sq. ft. of pad but yanked the carpet out and it is fine.

At least it was cold distilled water from the AC system and not acid water from the heating condensate.

It took a whole new circuit with DPDT relays to both isolate and turn off both systems for condensate problems.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sherwin Williams Duration. We paint no less than 150 houses a year, it's not inexpensive but holds up to weather great.
View Quote
I brush painted my entire exterior of my house with SW Durations satin and 3 years later still looks brand new.  Painting was the easy part.  Washing the house, filling nail holes, cracks and whatever else took probably 3 times as much time.  My house is only 1300sqft and a ranch so brush painting worked.

Remember to factor in the cost of a GOOD brush or spray rental.  Also the buy the good caulk there is a big difference.  I filled the holes with painters putty blended in with mineral spirits and primed with an oil based primer and the nail holes are completely invisible.

I watched for the 40% off coupons and bought the paint untinted.   When i was ready I took it back they tinted it and I painted the house.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. A gallon of this stuff goes an incredibly long way and it has a very wide temperature application range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top